Ernest Borgnine Dies at 95

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Jul 8, 2012.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Love him in anything he did. Thanks to him for the memories. R.I.P.

3. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

4. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I loved all his films including The Poseidon Adventure. He was such a great actor. RIP, (((Mr. Borgnine))).

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

RIP to a man who made acting look deceptively simple. Such a range of roles over the years, and :respec: for his service in the Navy during the war.

6. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I agree he was a great actor. One of my favorites of his was The Flight of The Phoenix. And he seemed to be a really nice man, just the impression I always got when he was on a talk show. I never heard anything bad about him.

7. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Another one of my all time favourites has left us. I loved him in just about everything, but as his movies have been mentioned, I think I'll add in his TV work.

He was so good in Airwolf and such a great foil for Jan Michael Vincent's character. I was so delighted to see him pop up on ER for it's final season a couple of years ago and as always, he was excellent.

His most recent movie appearance that I know of, was in the Bruce Willis spy dramedy thriller RED as the Records Keeper of the CIA's super secret files archive. To hear the cast speak about getting to work w/him on the Special Features is just such a lovely thing to watch. The respect they all had for Mr. Borginine just flows off the screen. Especially from Karl Urban and how whenever he had a chance, he'd get Mr. Borginine to tell stories about the films and people he'd worked w/over the years and what a treasure this experience was for Karl.

As taf2002 said, I also never ever heard a bad word about him. Rare these days.

Thanks for both the Memories and your Service Sir. Godspeed!! :(

8. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

He had an astonishing, long-lasting career, but I would think that, for kids of my generation in the US in the 1960's, we would remember him best for Quinton McHale in "McHale's Navy".

RIP Mr. Borgnine.

9. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

The role that stands out for me is Fatso in From Here to Eternity.

10. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Me too! Me too! I watched it in reruns in the 70s and 80s!

This sure has been a bad year and it's only half over.

11. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

McHale's Navy - definitely my fav role of his! He did seem to be a classy guy.

RIP

12. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

R.I.P. Mermaid Man. :(

13. duane

duane New Member

Classic performance.

14. Southpaw

I thought he was Barnacle Boy?

15. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Nope, mermaid man. Tim Conway is barnacle boy.
    Anywhoo, rip.

16. Southpaw

Right. Tim Conway. Another genius.

17. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Totally a guilty pleasure of mine, but I love BASEketball and I'll always remember Ernest Borgnine's very uncomfortably hilarious rendition of "I'm too Sexy for my shirt".
    And of course mermaid man. TO THE MEATLOAF! Awaaaaay!!!

18. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

How could I have forgotten McHale's Navy when talking about his TV work? It wasn't one of the classic reruns shown in our area when I was little and I never saw an episode until a few years ago I'm sorry to say, so I'll blame my not mentioning it due to that, but it truly was Classic TV and he shone in it.

Did anyone else back during the Bloopers and Practicial Jokes years remember seeing a clip of the entire cast standing around waiting to shoot a scene, but not realizing the cameras were rolling, decided to do the "Ooooh Ma Ma, Boppa Ooooh Ma Ma" song/thing while killing time? I forget who started it, but before too long the rest of them had not only joined in, but were also doing bouncy in one place dance moves too.

It was too funny for words. :D

Sigh...I'll have to keep an eye on TCM's site for the next few days for when they announce what day their all day tribute to Mr. Borginine will be taking place and what they'll be showing. I'd think From Here To Eternity would be one of the films shown, as it's one of his more well known ones.

19. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

RIP to a true legend.

20. Nan

Nan Just me

For someone who was never a "leading man" type, he had an amazing career. RIP Mr. Borgnine. :(

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

He brought dignity to whatever he did - comedy or drama.
    Very few actors have been able to sustain great careers for such a long time.
    Thanks for all the wonderful performances.

Does anyone remember his guest appearance on "Little House on the Prairie"?

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

23. soxxy

soxxy Guest

24. duane

duane New Member

Reminder of TCM showings tonight. Marty is being shown at 8pmEST followed by From Here To Eternity. If you're not a Borgnine fan, watch FHTE for the hilarious performance by Burt Lancaster! Sexy guy, but...