Eri Nishimura

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Bailey_, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

At last year's Canadian National Championship, I was completely impressed with junior national women's champion, Eri Nishimura. I just checked the start order for senior nationals and her name is not on the list. Does anyone know why? Is she still skating? I was really looking forward to watching her this year in the senior womens event. Thanks for any info.
  2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

She didn't qualify.
  3. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Does anyone know what happened to Edrea and Edbert Khong? They are not in this year either. I read (on FSU sometime ago) they weren't doing well enough in school so their parents pulled them out of skating. :eek: Is this true? And was it only for this season or for good. Anyone know any more? They had such potential I hope we see them back again.

Also I see that for the first time in years Erin Sherrer will not compete. Did she not qualify, or has she retired?
  4. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Erin wasn't at the challenge so I think she's done. Not sure if she skated at sectionals.

Holy cow about the Khongs!...but...bravo for the parents.

I wasn't impressed with Nishimura this year or last. Kinda pretty to watch, but very slow, no height or power on jumps and a minimal and inconsistent jumping arsenal. Lots of underrotations.

Saw her this year at Thornhill and again at Challenge with little progress. I saw her heading to Kelsey McNeil-ville (win juniors then disappear or toil in the B ranks)
  5. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Deleted - misunderstood original post.
  6. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

Where is Diane Szimett (sp?)?
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Szmiett, I believe.

She hasn't been in a very good place this season and must be experiencing some difficulties in her personal life, I would imagine. :(
  8. kppt

kppt New Member

I heard Szmiett was injured so pulled out of Cdn's with about a week to go. I have heard rumblings recently that the Khongs are sitting out a year in order to go compete for Singapore!?!
  9. alilou

Whaaaaaat! :eek: I'd heard it was because they weren't doing well enough in school, but this makes much more sense. It's a really deep field in dance in Canada and even though they are enormously talented they'd have to probably wait years to get to the top in Canada. If they compete for Singapore they'll be there right away as soon as they're old enough.

I admit to being a bit sad about this :(

Oh well. Canada's loss is Singapore's gain.

Go Khongs :cheer2:
  10. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Completely makes sense now.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It doesn't make sense because Canadian Nationals is not an international competition. Competing at it doesn't "lock you" to representing Canada at ISU competitions.

Myzyk competed at both Polish and Canadian Nationals (I have to say I am surprised Skate Canada let him do that).
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  12. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

Well, he was not officially entered as a part of Polish squad but only as a guest, but Slovakian organizing team has difficulties to understand the differences ;)
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ah indeed! I remember him being listed as a guest entry in the beginning. Now I understand why. :)
  14. fan

fan Active Member

:sekret: says that the school reason is correct. they won't be competing anymore.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Such a shame. :(

Singapore could use some decent skaters.
  16. alilou

Either country could use dancers as talented as the Khong sibs. So sad.