Emmys, Schmemmys, and other Gimmes (TV awards - summer 2011)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Beefcake, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Emmy noms aren't out for another few weeks, but a few critics and other types of awards will be trickling out ... maybe giving some insight as to what to expect from Emmy.

Yesterday, nominations were announced for the new "Critics Choice Television Awards", from the the Broadcast Television Journalists Association (BTJA). Apparently, a "rival" critics association to the Television Critics Association was desperately needed, so here we are. Eh, the more awards, the more :watch: and kvetching!

Critics Choice Noms

Cheers!:

Best Comedy Series: “Archer” (FX) Definitely in the Awesomenest Shows on TV Category alongside Tosh.0 and Amazing Race and some others ... “Community” (NBC) Surely, an indication that its inventiveness is about to be recognized, finally

Best Actor in a Comedy Series: Alec Baldwin for “30 Rock” Sure, I know the complaint -- he's recognized every for every award. However, he is perfection. :)

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Danny Pudi for “Community" About time! :cheer:

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Jane Krakowski for “30 Rock” Still a tour de force ... Busy Philipps for “Cougar Town” Love it!

Best Reality Series — Competition: “The Amazing Race” (ABC) Strong year! ... “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (Logo) :rofl: I'd PML if RDR is nominated for an Emmy ... “Top Chef” (Bravo) Such a strong first half of the season! Truly in the running for an Emmy repeat.

Jeers:

You know, I really enjoy Modern Family, but there are :kickass: people being ignored from Community and 30 Rock (and elsewhere I'm sure). I still want Sophia Vergara to win, however! ;)

Best Reality Series — Competition: “Project Runway” (Lifetime) :shuffle: Really? Er, was there a Gretchen-free episode I missed?

Best Reality Show Host nods include Tom Bergeron for “Dancing With the Stars,” Cat Deeley for “So You Think You Can Dance” (Fox), Ty Pennington for “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,” Mike Rowe for “Dirty Jobs” (Discovery) and Ryan Seacrest for “American Idol.” All fine and talented people (though Ty is as obnoxious a pesky house fly), but :mad: no Phil Koeghan -- yet again.

Things that Make You Go Hmmm:

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: wow, no Toni Collette?

Glee barely making a ripple ... no Morrison no Michele no Colfer, just series and Lynch. Harbinger of dry times ahead, Emmy nomination time?

2. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

If Cat Deely doesn't finally get a emmy nom I'm going to be :mad: She's always amazing.

3. screech

screech Well-Known Member

And YAY for Joel McHale and Courteney Cox!!

I really wish someone would nominate Jennifer Carpenter for supporting actress for Dexter. She is outstanding!

And as for the lack of Colfer - he's not a comedic actor on Glee, so IMO that's why he doesn't get Emmy (etc) noms, because the show is in the comedy category. It's why his Globes win was awesome, because the globes don't separate supporting TV actors into drama/comedy/miniseries.

Even though it wasn't a great season, I have to say I'm surprised at absolutely no True Blood (I would have at least had it ahead of the suprrisingly underhwelming Walking Dead). Or at least some recognition for Denis O'Hare for his turn as Russell Edgington. Maybe guest actor at the Emmys then...

4. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

ITA. He isn't really there for comedic purposes, so I'm not shocked if/when he isn't nominated when the award is "Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series." But if it's "Best Supporting Actor," he makes sense.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm surprised about Laura Linney not getting a nomination for The Big C. I thought she got this year's Emmy in the bag with the pilot episode. She surpassed my favorite, Edie Falco in Nurse Jackie.

6. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm so happy to see Martha Plimpton there for Best Actress in a Comedy Series. She is just wonderful in Raising Hope.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Sooooooo want RuPaul's Drag Race to get a nod!

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm loving all the Good Wife acting nods. Margulies, Cumming and Panjabi were outstanding. The two women rocked the episodes dealing with the big Peter/Kalinda revelation. Cumming was such a great addition and I'm glad he'll be back!

Modern Family :cheer: Jim Parsons :cheer: Martha Plimpton (one of the best parts of Raising Hope, IMO!) :cheer:

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I will be shocked if she isn't nominated for an Emmy. Heck, I will be shocked if she doesn't win it.

10. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Emmy noms are announced this Thursday, so I went looking for this thread. Then noticed ...

:shuffle: I'd balleyhooed the new Critics Choice Awards nominations, but didn't notice that the winners were announced three weeks ago.

Busy Busy Busy! :rollin:

:cheer: Mike Rowe wuz rewarded :grope:

:drama: Drag Race wuz robbed! :p

:saint: Can you give me two good reasons why Christina Hendricks would win?

Camille Grammar can now say that she's "award winning" ... but so can the woman with 200 cats in her house. :slinkaway

And :cheer: Goddess Tina won this lead actress award, but I agree Brian in that the CCA-nom-snubbed Laura Linney will take The Big E.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  11. VIETgrlTerifa

What do you think of Boomer's Emmy Award predictions? He has gotten it more-or-less right in the past.

http://boomer.awardsheaven.net/

I noticed that in the past few days, he changed the rankings somewhat and now as Game of Thrones taking the last spot for Best Drama over The Killing.

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I hope his predictions about Justified are correct.

13. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I hope he's wrong about a couple of things (won't bore you with my rant, LOL) but most of them make a decent amount of sense. I'm a huge Glee fan but the only person from this past season who deserves to be nominated from the actors is Chris Colfer (not sure how he has Matthew Morrison listed so high). I'll probably get blasted for this statement too but I'm really tired of all the recognition going to the cable shows. There are a lot of quality network shows airing now and they deserve some recognition too. So help me if Friday Night Lights gets snubbed for it's two lead actors this year (they should be in there) and I REALLY want the show to sneak in there and get a Drama Series nod this this year too. *prays* :kickass:

I'm still holding out hope that KaDee Strickland gets a nomination for her heartbreaking performance on Private Practice this year but that idiot didn't even have her on his list so now I'm really bummed out. :fragile:

14. VIETgrlTerifa

I seriously can't think of any episode in which Matthew Morrison gave a stand-out performance. He had much weaker material this season compared to last.

15. BigB08822

Mike Rowe won reality host? Seriously? Mmmmkay... :shuffle: Cat Deeley robbed again (and I don't even like SYTYCD)!

16. VIETgrlTerifa

Not that the probability is high, but I don't think he had Sharon Gless up for Burn Notice last year but she received a pretty shocking nomination, so it could still happen.

17. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Agreed, even with a better storyline he's by far the weak link* on TV's own jeckyl & hyde, Glee ...

... and this coming from a guy who bristles at the cartoon corner they've written Jane Lynch's character into.

*unless you count the writing. :slinkaway

Brian, after Miss Cat has crawled through raw sewage under an Indian restaurant restroom to get to a nuclear waste silo where - in 120 degree heat - she'll sort the male spiney spitting slugs from the female spiney spitting slugs ... we'll talk about her merits over my fake husband Mike Rowe. ;)

18. BigB08822

Not fair! She has to work with Nigel Lythgoe. For that, she deserves much more than an Emmy. She has probably been sexually harassed more times than she can count. :lol:

19. HeatherC

YAY FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2:

Not surprised to see KaDee get snubbed but I'm over the moon for all the FNL love this year! Its about dang time! I cant post the list because I'm posting from my phone but its posted at TV Guide's website, eonline, and the official Emmy site now. :D

20. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Friday Night Lights is nominated for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Drama, and Best Writing (the finale episode, airs tomorrow night on NBC, sniff sniff).

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Maggie Smith! :cheer2: I do hope she wins. She's my absolute favorite thing about Downton. I'd like to see Elizabeth McGovern win too, though I don't know if she has a chance; she's a lovely actress and that's a great role for her. Loved her line about how having three daughters turned out to be nothing like Little Women. :)

Glad that Harry Potter dance on DWTS got a nomination. It was such a cool dance.

22. HeatherC

They should win all four of those too (my opinion of course, LOL). :cheer:

23. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Wow, Melissa McCarthy, from Mike & Molly, was nominated for best actress in a comedy series. That's gotta be exciting for her! While I've only seen a couple episodes of Mike & Molly, I always enjoyed her on the Gilmore Girls. :)

24. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

2011 Primetime Emmy Nominations

Outstanding Drama Series
    Boardwalk Empire
    Dexter
    Friday Night Lights
    Game of Thrones
    The Good Wife
    Mad Men

Outstanding Comedy Series
    Big Bang Theory
    Glee
    Modern Family
    The Office
    Parks and Recreation
    30 Rock

Outstanding Actress in a Drama
    Kathy Bates, Harry's Law
    Connie Britton, Friday Night Lights
    Mireille Enos, The Killing
    Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order: SVU
    Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
    Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama
    Kelly Macdonald, Boardwalk Empire
    Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife
    Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
    Margo Martindale, Justified
    Michelle Forbes, The Killing
    Christina Hendricks, Mad Men

Outstanding Actor in a Drama
    Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
    Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
    Michael C. Hall, Dexter
    John Hamm, Mad Men
    Hugh Laurie, House
    Timothy Olyphant, Justified

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama
    Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
    Josh Charles, The Good Wife
    Alan Cumming, The Good Wife
    Walton Goggins, Justified
    John Slattery, Mad Men
    Andrew Braugher, Men of a Certain Age

Outstanding Actress in a Comedy
    Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
    Tina Fey, 30 Rock
    Laurie Linney, The Big C
    Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly
    Martha Plimpton, Raising Hope
    Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy
    Jane Lynch, Glee
    Betty White, Hot In Cleveland
    Julie Bowen, Modern Family
    Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
    Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live
    Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock

Outstanding Actor in a Comedy
    Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
    Louis C.K., Louie
    Steve Carrell, The Office
    Johnny Galecki, The Big Bang Theory
    Matt LeBlanc, Episodes
    Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy
    Chris Colfer, Glee
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Modern Family
    Ed O'Neill, Modern Family
    Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
    Ty Burrell, Modern Family
    Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men

Outstanding Variety, Comedy Or Musical Series
    The Colbert Report
    Conan
    The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
    Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
    Real Time With Bill Maher
    Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Reality Show
    The Amazing Race
    American Idol
    Dancing With the Stars
    Project Runway
    So You Think You Can Dance
    Top Chef

Outstanding TV Miniseries or Movie
    Cinema Verite
    Downton Abbey
    The Kennedys
    Mildred Pierce
    The Pillars of the Earth
    Too Big To Fail

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Comedy
    Idris Elba, The Big C
    Nathan Lane, Modern Family
    Zach Galifianakis, Saturday Night Live
    Justin Timberlake, Saturday Night Live
    Matt Damon, 30 Rock
    Will Arnett, 30 Rock

Outstanding Guest Actress In A Comedy
    Kristin Chenoweth, Glee
    Dot-Marie Jones, Glee
    Gwyneth Paltrow, Glee
    Cloris Leachman, Raising Hope
    Tina Fey, Saturday Night Live
    Elizabeth Banks, 30 Rock

Outstanding Leading Actress in a Mini-series or Movie
    Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce
    Elizabeth McGovern, Downton Abbey
    Diane Lane, Cinema Verite
    Taraji P. Henson, Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story
    Jean Marsh, Upstairs Downstairs

Outstanding Leading Actor in an Mini-Series or Movie
    Greg Kinnear, The Kennedys
    Barry Pepper, The Kennedys
    Edgar Ramirez, Carlos
    William Hurt, Too Big To Fail
    Idris Elba, Luther
    Laurence Fishburne, Thurgood

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Mini-series or Movie
    Guy Pearce, Mildred Pierce
    Bryan F. O'Byrne, Mildred Pierce
    Tom Wilkinson, The Kennedys
    Paul Giamatti, Too Big to Fail
    James Woods, Too Big to Fail

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Mini-series or Movie
    Evan Rachel Wood, Mildred Pierce
    Melissa Leo, Mildred Pierce
    Mare Winningham, Mildred Pierce
    Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
    Eileen Atkins, Upstairs Downstairs

25. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

And this should make a lot of people (myself included) happy:

Outstanding Host For A Reality Or Reality-Competition Program 2011
    Jeff Probst, Cat Deely, Phil Koeghan, Tom Bergeron, Ryan Seacrest

26. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Justified FTW! I'm thrilled Walton Goggins got a nod in best supporting actor. He is awesome in this role and Margo Martindale absolutely deserves the supporting actress win. And :cheer2: for Timothy Olyphant.

I can't believe every adult actor on Modern Family was nominated. :lol:

I'm bummed that Hal Holbrook wasn't nominated for a suporting actor role for Sons of Anarchy.

27. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

No Emmy for Sean Bean? :fragile: But yay for Peter Dinklage!

28. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yay Game of Thrones!!!! They better have nominated that show. I would have been pissed if they hadn't. Best friggin TV show I've seen in AGES. And Yay Peter Dinklage for best supporting actor nomination! :cheer:

I'm bummed for Sean Bean as well...and frankly think the whole cast could have taken all the Emmys lol, but that's how it goes.(They did get a nomination for outstanding casting, though...so that's awesome.)

Glad to see Steve Buscemi and Boardwalk Empire get some noms, too. And of course Dexter :).

29. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

The Good Wife - nominations for Margulies, Panjabi & Cumming :cheer2: They've been absolutely outstanding. Surprised but happily so to see nearly the whole cast in there!

Modern Family :cheer:

Very happy to see Martha Plimpton in there as well.

30. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:cheer: Dot Jones (coach Bieste on) Glee! The rest of the nominees in that category were 1000% expected. Prediction: Cloris Leachman will win.

:( No Busy Phillips, who most every predictor had on his/her slate

:blah: Over-praise for Modern Family. Nom for pretty much every category possible, and [c'mon now!] four of six supporting actors. I really do love the show, but there are so many other deserving supporting actors out there ... Community and Parks & Recreation alone could each field three nominees. Speaking of which ...

:mitchell: Community = TOTALLY robbed again!

:blah: John Slattery gave the funniest performance of my year in his guest shot on 30 Rock, but was snubbed. At least Wil Arnett was nominated for his perfect now-happy-gay-daddy Devin Banks. (Anyway, it's probably Justin Timberlake's category to lose, anyway, and deservedly so.)

:cheer: A major shake-up in the lead actress comedy category. Kudos to the newbies and to the voters!

Yes, this does! :kickass: