Emma Thompson's Catty Remarks about Icon Audrey Hepburn!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Hepburn was 'twee, mumsy and couldn't act'

I think 'twee' has been used right here to describe certain skaters....

:eek: Talk about stabbing a sacred cow. I know some people consider this one of Audrey's weakest roles, and a lot of people wanted Julie Andrews to do the film version, but I love Audrey. And I didn't always. But several of her films have made such an impression on me that she has become one of my favorites...

I'm all for blunt honesty, but Emma sounds a tad harsh and bitchy to me.

She is a decent screenwriter, and I look forward to her version of My Fair Lady....

Discuss.

2. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I liked Hepburn in The Nun's Story.

3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for Emma to rip into Natalie Wood as the next dead Hollywood icon on her list who can't sing or act and who had Marni Nixon dub her singing in a musical (West Side Story). I don't think Emma knew her, so that evidently lessens the odds of her liking her acting abilities. If that doesn't satisfy her need to diss, then there's always Deborah Kerr -- but perhaps she will grant that Kerr could act, if not sing (Marni Nixon to the rescue once again, this time for The King and I).

I wish her luck with her verion of My Fair Lady. Since it will be greatly shortened, I expect it should fit 21st century audiences attention spans. :p BTW, I also like Pygmalion but comparing GBS's play to MFL is apples to oranges -- or apples to chocolates.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Her best performance, IMO. It's a great movie. Everytime I watch it or think about it the words "pride and disobedience" stick out for some reason :).

She could have said it about just about anyone else and I don't think I would have gotten annoyed.

Unless it was Barbara Stanwyck. Then I'd travel to the UK so I could CUT HER :EVILLE:.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

To be fair (no pun intended), Julie Andrews was essentially robbed of the role, and Audrey Hepburn really can't sing, hence the dubbing. And this comes from someone who loves that film.

6. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I just watched The Nun's Story again a couple of nights ago on YouTube. I love that movie, but it reminded me that while she was beautiful, she could not act at all.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  7. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I think Audrey was perfect for the role, so perfect that the dubbing doesn't even bother me. And her chemistry with Harrison was :swoon:

I love Emma as an actor and screenwriter but don't diss my Audrey, girl. :mad:

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Thompson should level her criticism where it is due - at the producing/directing team who came up with this nonsense, not at the actress who accepted a role she was offered. I'm a great AH fan, but I'm not a fan of this movie at all, and, yes, unfortunately twee is the word that applies here.

9. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I would've preferred to see Julie Andrews in the role since she originated it, but I actually enjoyed Audrey Hepburn. Yeah, she was dubbed, but I thought she was charming without being "twee."

10. musicgurl

musicgurl I know a place...

I love Audrey Hepburn, but I don't consider her a great actress. She was good at what she did, and that was mostly romantic comedies. However I still love Breakfast at Tiffany's and I still think that and Two for the Road were her best ones. Mostly because they were different roles for her.

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Did Julie Andrews pay her to say that? :EVILLE:

That being said, I kind of agree. Audrey Hepburn is great in some films, but the character in My Fair Lady needs some underlying steel, which IMHO you don't get just by yelling in a faux-Cockney accent.

She looks great in the post-transformation dresses, though.

12. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I love Audrey Hepburn, but mainly because she is so charismatic, graceful and lovely. I could look at her all day. She is not a good actress IMO, but she is not annoyingly bad either.

What would be the point of making another My Fair Lady movie if the first one were perfect? ;)

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I agree with Emma. And I LOATHED Breakfast at Tiffany's.

14. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Emma T has a pretty biting sense of humour. Her diaries from Sense and Sensibility are a fantastic read! But she can be merciless. I haven't seen a lot of AH's work- but from what I have seen- I don't have huge issues with what ET has said.

15. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

The only Audrey movie I really love is "Wait Until Dark;" Rex Harrison made "MFL" for me, not Audrey. And I must admit I abhor "Breakfast at Tiffany's," at total bastardization of Truman Capote's work.

Has anyone beside me seen Emma Thompson in a movie called "The Tall Guy?" She is absolute :rofl: hilarious in that.

16. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I'm another Breakfast at Tiffany's hater. They basically erased the story and made a travel film for New York.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I find that I too agree with Emma. :shuffle:

Where did you read that? Is that a book? Sounds like a good piece of snark I wouldn't want to miss.

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Capote actually wanted Marilyn Monroe for the part of Holly. Mickey Rooney's racist portrayal of the Japanese landlord ruins the movie, I'm afraid. I don't like too many musicals, so I can take or leave MFL, but Emma best be leavin' Audrey alone.

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think a lot of stars during the golden age of Hollywood were movie stars first and actors second. Most of them were a natural on the big screen but there wasn't a demand for them to show a big range of acting skills like a Meryl Streep.

I thought Audrey did a good job in MFL. Not sure Julie Andrew should've won the Oscar for MP though, since that role was somewhat one dimensional. MP has not aged well at all; It's so freaking boring to watch now.

20. Squibble

Squibble New Member

I thought we had one thing in common. :fragile:

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Emma Thompson Gets Star on Hollywood Blvd Walk of Fame (August 6, 2010): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKawB7-9Fw

peibeck, The Tall Guy is a freakin' hilarious movie -- love the pairing of Jeff Goldblum with Emma! :biggrinbo

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  22. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I love Emma T, and like Audrey, enjoy her films, but not a huge fan. But I don't like what Emma said. When a person is dead, why? (unless they were a very person).
    Just not in good taste.
    Note - i saw a poster at the movies today for a new Nanny McPhee movie.

23. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Even as a die-hard AH fan, I have to agree that in some of her weaker movies, that "twee" appeal of hers can wear pretty thin (pun intended). ;) And yes, I don't think she was a terribly good actress (she herself admitted so), but she had what many icons of that era had: star power and charisma. Overall, she just had a naturally tender, ephemeral quality about her - someone once compared her to a doe one catches quietly grazing in the forest, and ITA. I mean, there must be some reason why she's quite possibly the most universally beloved movie actress of all time.

It makes sense to me why Emma is "trash-talking" the old MFL since she's writing the new one (she's injecting into the new one what the old one lacks and all that), but I have my doubts as to how great it will be if Keira Knightley ends up playing Eliza. I've never seen the original musical on Broadway, but many have said that the movie version was a pale recreation of it, and a remake of something that wasn't terribly good to begin with isn't always a good idea. And Emma really shouldn't comment on acting range - I think she's a very competent actress and far better than Audrey technically, but she's not exactly like Meryl Streep in that she can play almost any type of role, either.

24. musicgurl

musicgurl I know a place...

I agree about the book. I love the movie and the book individually for what they are.

25. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have no problem with what Emma said.

Keira can be a really, really good actress. She was fantastic in Pride and Prejudice and certainly played Lizzy with her fair share of bite and wit. Atonement was also wonderful, and Cecilia had more than her fair share of bite as well. Her singing in The Edge of Love was not half bad, either (especially since, if I've read correctly, she sang all her stuff live in a real club!). I'm not sure the tone would fit MFL - though she was going for a different era, obviously. I think she could quite possibly be fab in MFL.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  26. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I liked Roman Holiday and Wait Until Dark. Oh, and Charade wasn't it, with Cary Grant? Since I'm not an actress, and I liked the stories, I won't criticize.

27. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The Tall Guy is one of my favourite movies EVER.
    Plus people who *really* like Emma Thompson can see what is probably her longest nude scene ever....

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Hardly every poster on FSU is a skater and yet...

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I think Emma Thompson is overrated.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Overrated for what? I haven't read a bunch of accolades thrown at her like I have for Meryl Streep, for example. I think Emma has a low profile at least in the U.S.