Emanuel Sandhu Skating at Challenge

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by googooeyes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Feb. 7th article titled "Sandhu joyfully returns to competitive skating: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130205&content_id=41403640&vkey=ice_news

2. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I nominate the option of "at least one more year of competitive skating". Is there a possbility he could make top five at Canadians next year??

3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I second the motion!!

Of course I would love to see Eman go for one more season, it's whatever makes him happy that's important.

I sure would love to see those spirals and true spread eagles one more time though. :)

4. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

He should at least do BC Summerskate!

5. kalamalka

kalamalka Active Member

I'll second that! I also think it would be a good idea for him to continue training, and see how far he can get his jumps back and adapt further to COP - would love to see some new competitive-style programs from him. And if his new attitude, holds, it would be great for younger skaters to be exposed to his extension and purity of line.
    (speed would also be nice - it seemed to me during his competitive career, he often skated fast and with obvious power during practice, but slowed down a lot in competition)

6. quartz

quartz the moment is a masterpiece

He would be a brilliant choreographer, and he could also teach ballet to some that could use a little help with line and posture. When Shae-Lynn was dumped by Victor, I hoped that she would team up with Eman. They would make an incredible coaching/ choreo duo!

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

IIRC he wasn't the most reliable student in the past, but he would be a great coach if he can deal with the scheduling and the demands of coaching.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Good luck to Sandhu. It is heartening to see the warmth extended to him. Think he can do shows then go on to coach or choreograph.

9. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

For purely selfish reasons, I'd love to see him compete another year. :)

10. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

40 is the new 20.

11. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

:lol: :respec:

12. skateboy

Does that mean that 20 is the new zero? ;)

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Now you're just being silly.

14. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

But isn't zero a dress size ;)

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

It has been WEEKS since I could fit into a zero.... :wuzrobbed :drama:

16. professordeb

Awwww! If it's any consolation, I don't fit in a size that has zero in it anymore :(

But back to Eman. After seeing the way he was with the crowd at Canadians, I could see him making maybe top 5 IF and only IF he trained full time. None of this going off and partying at the disco and stuff. :D
    OTOH, I could perhaps see him better as part of a choreographic team. I don't know if he's quite ready to go it solo, but couldn't you just picture him giving Kevin R some extra lessons in form and presence and such? I *think* they are training at the same rink, yes? Anyway, whichever direction Emanuel wants to go in, I'm in his corner and cheering him on.

17. skateboy

:D

18. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

19. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks for sharing danafan. :)

I've wondered what happened to Emanuel. I know it's been a tough comeback for him the last few seasons, as it is for practically 99.9% of all skaters that do so, it's a tough road/row to hoe and my respect for them all to try is immeasurable. :cool:

Good Luck Emanuel!:kickass:

20. professordeb

E-man is back again? Ohhhhh, I so hope he makes it to Canadians again, if that is the case. I would love to see him compete again. Actually, I enjoyed watching him in the practice for the gala even more last year.

Wishing him good luck and good skates between now and January!

21. overedge

He was registered to skate at BC Summerskate in August, but didn't compete due to "scheduling conflicts".

22. Snowflake3939

Snowflake3939 New Member

Emanuel scheduled to skate first in the short program at Challenge 2014 in Regina. Praying that he doesn't withdraw. Like last year, waiting until the last moment before booking my trip to Regina, just in case.

23. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

What's the date for the Regina event?

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

25. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS Member

To me, I really want to go now to see those lines and his dance style. He is a very interesting skater due to his style. This is exciting :)

26. professordeb

I'm hoping he makes it to Canadians again. Really enjoyed watching him and his reaction to the crowd last year at Canadians.

27. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Hmmn, with Reynolds having boot issues, if Sandhu is really back in form and serious about nationals, I will root for him to make the Oly team... hey if Plushy is back, why not Sandhu? Sandhu is one of the very few guys on the planet that actually beat Plushy at the height of his skills. Loved seeing him skate last year, but hoping he is in much better shape and also has some new programs to sell, it kinda hurt me to see him - a former National and GPF champ, wind up behind Nam.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

There are a few other Men between Nam and Chan who have the Olympics TES minimums who will be in his way besides Reynolds like Ten, Balde, Rogozine, and Firus. Sandhu would need to compete at a Senior B to earn his minimums were he to make the Olympic Team.

USFS has said that they're choosing the team by mid-January, right after Nationals, and that the members must have the minimums by then, which is why there's a :watch: on December Senior B's for Lysacek's name on the roster. I don't know whether Skate Canada is requiring the same, but the IOC deadline for having met the minimums is 27 January, and there are a couple of mid-January Senior B's.

29. overedge

True, but it was mostly because Plushenko didn't get the expected technical marks for some of his jumps.

30. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Kind of. He did too many combinations. Had he just thrown the 3A instead of a 3A-2T, he would have won. I bet he never even thinks about it. But I bet that Sandhu thinks about the win. It kind of worked out that way. :)