Emanuel Sandhu Skating at Challenge

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by googooeyes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Hope we can see him at exhibition tomorrow! What is the cut line for Gala?

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Just had the chance to see this. I do think he could use some choreographic help (face-touching is so 1990s) but I was really impressed with the overall performance and how relaxed and happy he seemed. And, dare I say it, it looks like he has done some work to fix his axel takeoffs.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

So of all the reported and anticipated veteran comebacks, Emanuel Sandhu (with a relatively low profile) is the one who actually did compete at his Nationals. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSPPtXXTaEI

Very lovely short program. Kudos to Emanuel!

4. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

So proud of Emanuel. I will always have a soft spot for him because I have been around a long time but this was a very courageous thing to do. It is darn hard to come back to skating and especially to compete at Senior Nationals. Good job!

5. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

This big time!! This was awfully gutsy of Eman to try and do and he did it for all of the right reasons too. Just to be able to say he competed out there happy. He certainly looked it in the KnC tonight.

Regardless of what happens after this, I have renewed respect for him and Good Luck to Eman on whatever that next adventure in his life is.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

:respec:

7. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

He's in the Gala...so one more time to see him. Good choice SC!!

8. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Didn't get to stay for the Gaga but did watch the practice for it and E-man was in his glory, dancing around even when he didn't need to. Thought it hilarious when Patrick showed up late for practice and it was E-man who showed him what to do. Then when they were down in their end corner waiting for when the men would come together in the middle later in the music, the two of them were busy chatting away. It did my heart good and warmed it so much to see a mature, no makeup Sandhu! His lines -- they are still to die for and his spread eagle is to be envied by many.

The look on his face the first time I saw him come out and view the ice -- he seemed a bit anxious. The first practice I saw, he looked lost out on the ice. My heart melted realizing he was out there alone -- no coach, no one to "take care" of the little things for him. A few of us agreed that we would be delighted to help him out in that regard.

When he took to the ice for the first time and realized that the crowd was behind him, it seemed to help settle something in him and when he was done -- the standing ovation brought such a smile to his face that I felt teary. It was almost as though he felt "wow, Canadian skating fans still love me. They still enjoy watching me skate. Perhaps it was the right thing to do, coming back and finishing what I started to many years ago" -- OK, that was my interpretation. But the smiles I saw -- they were real smiles, not the "fake" ones that skaters often put on when in public. He truly seemed thrilled by even the smallest of things -- like a young fan asking for his autograph. He willingly signed it, then thanked her and off he went to change into his civies.

I truly think he's come back for all the right reasons. He felt he had something left to finish in that part of his life. He didn't like how he left it. Now he'd like to complete that part of his life. Kudos to you E-man; you were a highlight of the weekend for me.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Any chance we see him competing next season? I hope so.

10. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Thanks professordeb. Reading your comments on Emanuel's comeback brought tears to my eyes. It was so good to see him again, and especially to see him enjoying skating. I saw him skate many times, and once even caught the moment when his demons overtook him and it was certain he would have a bad skate. To see him accepting the audience's applause with true humility and gratitude was wonderful. Oh how I wish I could have been there!

11. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  12. skateboy

Anyone have access to Eman's FP? (Thanks either way.)

13. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

my friend recorded it but hasnt posted on youtube yet

14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I do, too. And I'd love to see him compete internationally - there are more than enough B events that he could go to.

15. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

His SP looked great & of course his spins were beautiful. Im glad to see him skate again :) I hope he gets some funding, finds a choreographer(cough..Jeffrey Buttle..cough), a coach, and we get to see him skate some more :)

16. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Every moment he is on that ice is so precious. He's such a brave star!

Wow, that's amazing. Does he have a big fan base in Korea?

17. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Actually he is pretty famous among figure skating fans in Korea.
    His nickname is "Goong Shin" which translates to "Hip God". (See http://i48.tinypic.com/2iaa3bm.jpg for the reason.)
    They like his powerful, unique and stylish skills. Hope to see him in Korea :)

18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Is he planning on continuing to compete or was this just a one time thing?

19. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I was there for both SP & LP-- first time seeing Emanuel live. I've heard commentators use that hyberbolic "they have cast a spell on this audience," but never really got it. His LP, even with the fall, was just that. It was such a treat to see him live, especially such great programs of his.

I admit I'm a huge sucker for Emanuel. I think it would be wonderful if he continued, but regardless I hope he's happy with how this competition went. :)

20. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

21. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

He seemed subdued at practice, but looked so happy and gratified at the very warm response he received from the audience.

I was surprised and pleased to see him at the gala practice; kudos to SC for inviting him to participate in the gala, a very nice mark of respect for a former champion. It was a bit jarring to see him practicing out there with the young teenagers like Chartrand and Daleman - it highlighted the generational change in the sport. He mostly chatted with Patrick, and clearly loved practicing the finale choreo - he was totally into the dancing. He seemed completely in his element during the gala, more so than during competition.

At this point his tech content isn't competitive and he knows that, so whether he plans to continue and train more seriously, or just wanted the experience of competing again it's hard to say. Very pleased to see him back (whatever his plans may be) and to see him welcomed so warmly. It would be great to see him do shows if he chooses not to compete further. :)

22. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

With an 11th overall finish, is he likely to get any assignments next year if he chooses to continue?

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Even though Sandhu had a previously high 5th place finish in 2006 and was seeded for the 2006-7 Grand Prix, I don't think he qualifies as a "Comeback skater", which is defined as ("placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at an ISU Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons" [emphasis added]. He competed subsequently at 2007 Worlds and finished 16th, which should disqualify him if the ISU meant what's in the GP Announcement literally. Weir and Ando, two skaters who've used the provision, were Top 6 at their last WC's before applying.

24. quartz

quartz the moment is a masterpiece

At the age of 32, I would think competing this season is just a one time thing. As much as I love his skating, I think it would be awesome if he started coaching, or doing choreography or even dance/ballet training. He could really be a benefit to skaters in may ways. I say that knowing nothing about what he is currently doing.....he must have some sort of job to support himself. Does anyone know?

25. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

"Subsequently" could potentially be viewed as "later" rather than "in immediate succession", if it is interpreted more loosely. Is there any precedent for that re: comeback skaters?

26. skateboy

It was definitely a comeback, whether or not the ISU agrees. ;)

27. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir was indeed a comeback skater based on finishing 3rd in 2008 (and top 6 several times before). He still competed after that, but qualified as a comeback skater because he did miss subsequent seasons - just not the ones immediately subsequent. It doesn't say no subsequent Worlds, after all. So in theory, I think this rule would apply to Sandhu. Whether he knows about it, and would actually want to do it, is another matter.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That would be great for Sandhu if they did not mean subsequent Worlds. Skate Canada would have to submit his name. I think that would be fair, since they "retired" him from the GP previously by not submitting his name when he would have been eligible.

There was lot of talk on TSN/CTV about how he might be looking for closure and how this might be a one-off thing. One of the commentators said he missed being on the ice, and this could be an avenue to be invited to shows. Katherine Healey went back and forth between skating and dance. Sandhu might be able to combine the two.

29. skatinginbc

skatinginbc New Member

That Sandhu received low scores in PE and IN at the nationals is a piercing manifestation of the judging system's sophistry. His beautiful, mesmerizing performances were simply a luxurious joy to watch.

30. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I’m really fond of Sandhu's performances at Canadian Championships. It was like he was oozing joy about being able to compete and skate at that level again. Very inspiring to watch. Liked it better than many of his performances with much more difficult content. Just proof that skating is not all about jumps. :)