Emanuel Sandhu Skating at Challenge

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by googooeyes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. MrSatterwhite

MrSatterwhite Barely-Known Member

Sandhu skating at Nationals?

My Sandhu?

:swoon:

2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

This piece on the National Ballet Company list him as a graduate

The National Ballet School was founded in 1959 by Celia Franca and was directed for many years by co-founder Betty Oliphant.[5] The primary goal of the school is to train dancers for the National Ballet of Canada and also for companies across Canada and around the world. Graduates of the School include Frank Augustyn, Neve Campbell, Rex Harrington, Karen Kain (current Artistic Director of the Company),[6] James Kudelka (former Artistic Director of the Company), Veronica Tennant, Martine Lamy, John Alleyne, Emmanuel Sandhu, and Mavis Staines (Artistic Director and Co-CEO of the school).

I guess this will not be considered reasonable evidence either since again it is wiki. So provide proof that all the sources offered here are wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Ballet_of_Canada

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:respec:

4. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

Vladimir Kotin invented the "butt" spin. The first time I saw him do it was the 1988 Olympics. He finished 6th.

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

The butt spin is also known as the A-frame spin:

A-Frame Spin
    This spin was popularized by Canadian skater, Emmanuel Sandhu. It is often incorporated into combinations following a sit spin. It may be performed forward or backward. The skater rises from the sit position, grabs the free foot, ankle or calf depending on the desired effect or flexibility. Ideally, as the skater leans forward his head touches free leg and his body folds neatly over the straight free leg. This spin was nicknamed the "butt spin" by fans when it first appeared on the competitive scene because the skater's backside was in the air pointed toward the ceiling. In the most successful cases, the bodyline resembles a capital "A".

I am not sure that what Kotin did qualifies as a butt spin. He bends at the waist till his upper body is parallel to the ice and his hands extended outward. His butt does not point toward the ceiling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6YaVA4RdRE

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

So now that Eman has competed and done OK at Challenge, now it's on to Canadians! Looking forward to seeing how he does in Missy.

7. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Oh God, I thought the near heart attacks I had with him in the past were over. Nevertheless, I'd rather watch him with all his faults than just about any other man out there (including our very own PC). Best of luck Eman!

8. screech

screech Well-Known Member

It may have been popularized by Eman, but he sure as heck didn't invent it. When I was a young skater, almost 20 years ago, people were doing the spin.

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh blah. Every move has likely been done by someone somewhere before. Eman is the one who made it famous, and when younger skaters do it today, it's because of him - not some skater who competed before they were born, or who was doing it decades ago at some club or show.

10. dots

dots Well-Known Member

First of all it's call the "manhood" spin, not the "butt" spin.

obviously an ode to anal sex.

11. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Every time I see new replies in this thread I am just hoping it's a youtube video of him at Challenge... :(

12. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Ditto :(

13. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

14. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

15. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Thank you for uploading and sharing!

16. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I'm glad he had this competition to make his comeback debut. Decent showing. I'll bet he's twice as good by Nationals.

17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Who is guiding him as far as COP is concerned? Such elegance and what beautiful posture. Unique, but reminiscent of John Curry.

18. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

So he made it to Canadian Nationals? Is it top 5 go to Nationals?

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Yes, Sandhu has qualified for Canadians (the top 13 Senior men at Challenge advanced this year).

20. professordeb

Oh dear ... I am getting mushy feelings all over again for Eman. His jumps might not have been all there and his footwork still needs some "work" but his lines! his lines! his lines! I love his lines as much as I love the skating skills of Chan. Ohhhhh man, I think I am really going to enjoy Canadians.

21. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Oh, Canadian Nationals is the place to be for National competitions this year. All kinds of drama, competition and delicious num nums in each event. Will be very :watch: worthy

22. professordeb

Are you attending Canadian Nats?

23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

While I was watching this I was thinking the same thing. If he can hook up with someone who can help him make his programs more COP-friendly - as in adding a lot more detailed transitions - he could have a really good chance of placing well.

24. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I would actually love to see him approach Jeff to help him with his choreography. IIRC, their rivalry was a friendly one, and Eman has to know how successful Jeff has become as a choreographer (and how suited he was to COP), and I think it could work out really amazingly.

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:D Thanks so much! He is a joy to watch.

:cheer:

:cheer: + :cheer2:

26. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

27. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get too excited over this comeback. He's not talking like he's gunning for an Olympic berth. He's not attempting 3A's and quads. There's a scenario where he skates at Nats, finishes 8th and retires again.
    He has the desire to compete again and enjoy the process. I don't think he has the desire to place. Because of that, I don't see him spending money on choreo and coaching. His time between now and mid-Jan is probably all about just training and building his confidence.

Yes, professordeb, I have my all event tickets with a family member...but I'm pooping myself because I haven't booked the time off yet and a business trip has come up that week to Vancouver, Wed-Fri. I'm kinda freaking and will need to manage that somehow.

28. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

And nothing wrong with just enjoying the process :)

29. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

That's like our workplace. If we want to take extended leave, we need to notify them a few months in advance.

30. professordeb

Sorry to hear you will be "stuck" in Vancouver for those days. I'll enjoy Friday on your behalf, OK?