Emanuel Sandhu Skating at Challenge

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by googooeyes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jan

jan New Member

It was so nice to see a proper camel spin position again. None of the top men in the world have a great camel position.
  2. jamcan

jamcan New Member

:respec:
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Canada has three Men's spots at Worlds, and, so far, only three Canadian Men have met the TES minimums: Chan, Reynolds, and Rogozine, both last season and so far this season. Balde made the SP TES minimum and needs another 3 points for the FS.

Ten, in his lone event (USIC) at the very beginning of the season was within 4 points of the SP minimum, but was far off the FS minimum. If the ISU lowers the TES minimums, Balde has a very good chance, with a 62, of making a new FS minimum.

Considering the low TES for his SP, I don't think Sandhu got much of a bump from Canadian judges and that Reynolds' (at Nepala), Rogozine's, and Gordon's SP scores a similar range are comparable. Rogozine, who had a strong competition and a weak one, however, may be the last man standing by default, if the ISU doesn't lower the TES minimums and no one else makes them before Worlds at a Senior B or 4C's. Sandhu's not close to making the 35 TES SP minimum at this point. In the FS, his TES were close to Ten's at USIC, and his total a few points higher, but neither was close to the TES FS minimum.

It looks to me that if the trends so far this season hold, Balde and Rogozine will be vying for the third Men's spot. Rogozine's higher FS score was higher than Balde's higest; Balde's lower FS score was higher than Rogozine's lowest.

I can't help but think that Sandhu's goal is to make the national team and all that entails with assignments, training camps, and funding, and that Sandhu and Ten will be vying for the last spot on the National team, unless Gordon knocks both of them out. Sandhu reportedly only spent a week or so on his programs before Challenges, and there's a huge upside for him to have four weeks to work it out; I'm not sure how Ten is feeling physically, but he did tweet a month or two ago that he got new boots and implied they solved his boot-related problems/pain. They're both considered artistic skaters.

It's possible that Skate Canada will give Sandhu a McKayla Maroney-like "We're not impressed," if Sandhu and Ten are skating at about the same level. Ten might have been inconsistent due to injuries, but he's coached by Joanne Macleod, and I'd expect Skate Canada to take that into consideration, as opposed to a skater who's been in and out, and wasn't a particularly reliable competitor (compared to his potential) when he was in. National Team is an investment.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  4. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

I hope that the best 5 men will make the team and that's it. I love Ten but for the past 2-3 years injuries is been a huge factor but if i recall correctly before that he was not a consistant skater.
  5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I'm hoping that fixing his boot problem helps him as much as it's helped Kozuka this year. Last year Kozuka had boot problems, and they created injuries. I don't know if Ten's boots contributed to his, but it's very difficult to recover when the equipment is failing. All of this impacts confidence, and I hope he's regained some.
  6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Yes. There are separate minimums for each discipline for each phase and for each type of championship (Worlds, 4C's/Euros, Jr. Worlds). Men must earn at least 35 in TES in the SP and at least 65 in the FS by the time Worlds starts in order to compete in London.

No, only international competitions from this season and last season. (Jr. and Sr. B's, GP/JGP, GPF, JGPF, championships, Youth Olympic Games [2012]). A skater/team can earn each in a different competition and/or in a different season. The top skaters/teams have met them in all or almost all of their events.

Only Chan, Reynolds, and Rogozine have made the Worlds minimums for both programs as of today. (Repeatedly in each case.) Balde has made the Worlds SP minimum, but is several points shy of the Worlds FS Minimum. There are still more international events, Euros, and 4C's at which a skater can earn them.

The minimums for 4C's are 25 for SP and 45 for the FS. Balde, Gordon, Firus, and Ten have made both of these minimums this season for 4C's and are age-eligible. The minimums for Men for Jr. Worlds are 20 for the SP and 40 for the FS. Nam Nyugen and Roman Sandovsky have made both; I know they're too young for Sr. Championships.)

Were Sandhu to place high enough to earn a spot at 4C's, he'd need to do a Senior B before 4C's and earn the minimums, because he doesn't have any international scores. The only one who was exempted was Plushenko for last year's Euros.

Since the official reason for setting them so high in the first place is to eliminate the quali rounds, they may not even have enough eligible skaters to fill the roster, so they said in the announcement (1742) that they'd consider re-adjusting the score if they didn't have enough participants.

Presumably, if they do, they'd only do it enough to get the size of the field they want.
  8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation kwanfan1818.

If any of Balde, Gordon, Firus and Ten get spots at 4Cs, they would need to earn the Worlds minimum scores there to qualify for Worlds?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

At 4C's or at a Senior B before Worlds. Countries get to name skaters and substitutes, and they could name someone without a minimum score to the team provisionally, with the caveat they need to make the minimum before Worlds or one of the substitutes skates.

Can Nats are January 13-20. For singles there are the following competitions at which a skater/team could earn the TES minimums before or after changes, if any, are announced:

• The Nordics (singles, all countries eligible except for Novice)
    • 4C's
    • Bavarian Open (all disciplines)
    • Dragon Trophy & Tivoli Cup (singles)
    • Winter Euro Youth Fest (Jr. Ladies and Jr. Men)
    • Hellmut Siebt Memorial (singles)
    • 1st Citta di Torino Trophy (singles and dance)
    • Challenge Cup 2013 (singles and pairs)

The only limits to how many singles can enter are 1. no concurrent or over-lapping events and 2. the event has to be held and have enough international judges and participants from enough different countries. The only two with all disciplines (4C's and Bavarian Open) are concurrent. There's one other with Pairs and one other with Dance.

Last year, Skate Canada sent its top three to 4C's: Chan, Reynolds, and Ten. (Minimums were low for Worlds, and weren't an issue.) If, for example, Rogozine were to come in fifth or sixth at Canadian Nationals -- he was 5th last year, less than a point ahead of 6th place Firus -- and some combination of Balde, Sandhu, Gordon, Ten, and Firus ended up in 3rd or 4th or 3rd-5th, then Skate Canada would have to decide whether to just send 1,2,3 to 4C's, and if No. 3 doesn't make the minimums (adjusted minimums if they're adjusted), either keep sending him to other Senior B's or default to Rogozine. Skate Canada could also use 4C's as a skate off, like they did for Phaneuf and Lacoste last year, and skip No. 2, like Japan did last year for both Men and Ladies, or they could send one team to 4C's and another to the Bavarian Open or a later Senior B. I guess they could always refuse to send a third man, but that would get ugly, because if 3,4,5 weren't age qualified, they'd probably send 6, like Russia has done in Ladies, and I don't see why minimums aren't like any other qualification barrier.

Of course, Rogozine could make it easy for them and make the podium.

1742 says,

I thought it also gave a time frame for making the change -- [x amount of time] before entries are due, which is three weeks before Worlds -- but I don't see it here, and it might be written somewhere else. 4C's is 4.5 weeks before Worlds, so I'd think any changes would be announced after 4C's, when they see how many have qualified.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And you know this how?
  11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Sylvia posted on the original TES Minimums announcement thread:

Posted on the ISU site today:
    17 December 2012

That should mean about five weeks before Worlds, or just after 4C's, for the World TES minimums and the beginning of January for 4C's, which would only impact Sandhu at this point, since the other age-eligible Canadian Men in contention have the 4C's minimum.
  12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Because it makes sense. If you believe that young skaters are in fact copying an Olympian from 25 years ago, or some guy who did it in a club years before that, be my guest.
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

14. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Like his attitude .. way to go, Eman.
  15. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Here's wishing the beautiful artistic Emanuel Sandhu the best at Canadian Nationals! :kickass:

It's been soooo long, can't wait till a video appears of his showing at the aforementioned. :)
  16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

17. apatinar

apatinar New Member

I love love LOVE his skating.. I wish him the best
  18. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

DustPuppyOI and (deleted member) like this.
  19. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

Dear Emanuel,

Welcome back. Your lines and flair have been missed. Please bring some SYTYCD choreographers along for the ride next season. *cough* Sean Cheesman *cough*
  20. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I loved the smile on his face as he took his opening position tonight for the short program. So very happy for him!
  21. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Now *this* is the best reason I've heard for a comeback and I'm thrilled that so far, so good.

It was so beyond wonderful to see him out there smiling and enjoying himself and....Having fun skating. After all, isn't that the whole point?

I was w/Tracy...He did look a wee bit tight to begin w/, for obvious reasons, but as the program went on and he got more comfortable out there, I didn't want him to stop skating!!!

And YAY for an honest to God Spread Eagle!!!

Congratulations Eman and Good Luck w/the Free tomorrow!!!
  22. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

He ate a lot of humble pie but good on him for growing up and maturing as a person. I hope he has lots of fun out there for the long....
  23. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Earlier today I checked in over at the Canadian Nationals thread and was pleased to see he made top 10, but most importantly a personal triumph! :cool:

Still waiting for SP video, as well as tomorrow night's FS. :)
  24. Sylvia

Cross-posting his SP here and in the Canadian Men's SP thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSPPtXXTaEI
    He did 3F+3T and 1Lo at Challenge - scored higher here with 3F+2T, 3Lo and higher levels.
  25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

26. Sylvia

I'm in the US and it played for me on my laptop computer (the video can't be played on a mobile device).
  27. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Gorgeous. His spins, especially the camel but also the combo, were exquisite. And, such joy! Also loved the shape of his shirt.
  28. lilshorty

lilshorty New Member

I agree about his spins. He looks as good as he's ever looked. Thanks for posting Sylvia!
  29. screech

screech Well-Known Member

He looked so completely happy to be on the ice. And it must have taken a lot of guts to do that. Way to go Emanuel!!!
  30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

He did look awfully happy to be out there. Wonder how he's done all this without a coach or choreographer? (Please someone fix the dreadful music cuts in the SP!)
  31. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Hope we can see him at exhibition tomorrow! What is the cut line for Gala?
  32. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Just had the chance to see this. I do think he could use some choreographic help (face-touching is so 1990s) but I was really impressed with the overall performance and how relaxed and happy he seemed. And, dare I say it, it looks like he has done some work to fix his axel takeoffs.
  33. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

So of all the reported and anticipated veteran comebacks, Emanuel Sandhu (with a relatively low profile) is the one who actually did compete at his Nationals. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSPPtXXTaEI

Very lovely short program. Kudos to Emanuel!
  34. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

So proud of Emanuel. I will always have a soft spot for him because I have been around a long time but this was a very courageous thing to do. It is darn hard to come back to skating and especially to compete at Senior Nationals. Good job!
  35. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

This big time!! This was awfully gutsy of Eman to try and do and he did it for all of the right reasons too. Just to be able to say he competed out there happy. He certainly looked it in the KnC tonight.

Regardless of what happens after this, I have renewed respect for him and Good Luck to Eman on whatever that next adventure in his life is.
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  36. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

:respec:
  37. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

He's in the Gala...so one more time to see him. Good choice SC!!
  38. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Didn't get to stay for the Gaga but did watch the practice for it and E-man was in his glory, dancing around even when he didn't need to. Thought it hilarious when Patrick showed up late for practice and it was E-man who showed him what to do. Then when they were down in their end corner waiting for when the men would come together in the middle later in the music, the two of them were busy chatting away. It did my heart good and warmed it so much to see a mature, no makeup Sandhu! His lines -- they are still to die for and his spread eagle is to be envied by many.

The look on his face the first time I saw him come out and view the ice -- he seemed a bit anxious. The first practice I saw, he looked lost out on the ice. My heart melted realizing he was out there alone -- no coach, no one to "take care" of the little things for him. A few of us agreed that we would be delighted to help him out in that regard.

When he took to the ice for the first time and realized that the crowd was behind him, it seemed to help settle something in him and when he was done -- the standing ovation brought such a smile to his face that I felt teary. It was almost as though he felt "wow, Canadian skating fans still love me. They still enjoy watching me skate. Perhaps it was the right thing to do, coming back and finishing what I started to many years ago" -- OK, that was my interpretation. But the smiles I saw -- they were real smiles, not the "fake" ones that skaters often put on when in public. He truly seemed thrilled by even the smallest of things -- like a young fan asking for his autograph. He willingly signed it, then thanked her and off he went to change into his civies.

I truly think he's come back for all the right reasons. He felt he had something left to finish in that part of his life. He didn't like how he left it. Now he'd like to complete that part of his life. Kudos to you E-man; you were a highlight of the weekend for me.
  39. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Any chance we see him competing next season? I hope so.
  40. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Thanks professordeb. Reading your comments on Emanuel's comeback brought tears to my eyes. It was so good to see him again, and especially to see him enjoying skating. I saw him skate many times, and once even caught the moment when his demons overtook him and it was certain he would have a bad skate. To see him accepting the audience's applause with true humility and gratitude was wonderful. Oh how I wish I could have been there!