Emanuel Sandhu Skating at Challenge

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by googooeyes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Well, there's always the team event... also, I thought the Canadian men had three spots? At least for this year's Worlds, that is.

2. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I am always mystified by comments such as these. Are you saying that, if Sandu shows up, skates better than most of the field and so would qualify to move on, that the judges should pretend he didn't and mark him down because it's "time for someone else to see how they can do."

It's a sport. The other guys show what else they can do by showing up and beating him.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I dare say that spot #3 is also covetous. :D

That exists every time any skater steps foot (skate) on competitive ice.

I wanted to say that, but couldn't quite find the correct wording... :shuffle: :p

LadyNit, alilou, Maofan7 and 3 others like this.
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

His wiki says this classical medley FS is:
    Violin concerto (1st movement) by Bruch
    Piano concerto n°2 (2nd movement) by Dmitri Shostakovich
    Violin concerto (3rd movement) by Pyotr Tchaikovsky

Sandhu scored 116.73 in his FS, 173.19 total and finished 5th at Challenge, qualifying for Canadian Nationals. His jumps: 3Lo, 3F2T, 1Lz, 3Lo2T, 2A, 3F, 3T(turnout)2T2T, plus a lovely forward to back spiral sequence to spread eagle in the middle. Not surpringly, his spin and footwork levels are low, but I enjoyed watching him skate - link to Senior Men's FS protocols: http://results.skatecanada.ca/2012-2013/2013CHALL/2013CHALLSrMenFreesegJudgesDetails.pdf

5. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I think people are getting ahead of themselves with comments like these. The nature of this comeback doesn't exactly scream "trying to make the World team" or "trying for an Olympic medal" - there was zero publicity (unless you count someone noticing his name on a starting order), he doesn't have a coach, he used old costumes and programs (pre-COP programs), he has supposedly done very limited training, etc. Now things could change, but he seemed reasonably pleased with a 56 in the short and with his 5 triple long program, which also seems like a fairly modest success.

Also, I thought that the team event at the Olympics only had one single skater per discipline, and that the two for singles was only at the World Team Trophy. In which case, Eman would only have a chance if Chan suffers a serious injury.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching him at Challenge, it was nice to be able to watch him without being too stressed about the results. While he was very slow (and clearly lacked a bit of stamina), he hasn't lost his gorgeous positions (camel spin in particular was :swoon:) or his deep edges. More power to him for being able to qualify for Canadians after such a long layoff.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I agree, Erin. Was nice to see him and he didn't look out of place. Modest elements and needs some coaching on how to get levels, but as I said he fit in.

He's no where near being able to compete for even a spot on the national team. He's only doing up to the flip right now, but I'm sure the lutz is there somewhere. I'm expecting him to be pretty nervous for nationals and not skate much better. Top 10 or 8 would be a good result. To make the national team he'll need to really step up and add the 3A. Might even get him to some B internationals to get a qualifying score for next year. Kind of a long shot there though.

I think it's all about next year though if this is a serious comeback.

7. Zemgirl

My understanding is that if you have more than one qualified skater at the Olympics, you can have one skater (team) skate the SP and another in the LP/FD. I may be wrong about this, though.

I agree with your take on Sandhu's comeback. I don't know what his goals are, but he seems to be very low-key about it.

ETA: here's what Sandhu had to say about returning to competition.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  8. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

That's the first and only link with any information from Sandhu himself about his comeback. I did a google news search last night and there was nothing. I will be curious to see how much media attention he will have at the Canadian Championships. If he can get the lutz, manage to do 7 triples and get his spin levels higher, I could see him sneaking in for a top 5. Good on him for coming back and wanting to possibly end his career on better terms.

9. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed what Eman had to say. He seemed thoughful and grown-up. Yeah, I know, he's over 30 but I've met some people who are over 50 and are still acting/speaking as though they were in their early 20's -- brash and bravado. Hmmmm ... maybe I really should try to make it to Canadians this season.

10. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the popped lutz was supposed to be a triple, so I think he has it but just didn't land it in the program. I can't remember if he landed it on warm-up or not, I was probably texting during the warm-up so I missed lots. I agree that Top 10 or 8 would be a good result for him at Nationals - he's basically qualified in 10th once you add in Firus, Rogozine, Ten, Reynolds, and Chan so I think any improvement on that would be good enough.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I still don't see Canada putting in anyone for Chan in either program unless they are wanting to rest him for his singles event.

Thanks - very interesting to hear what he has to say and I agree that he sounds like he's grown up a bit. Good for him for wanting to go out on his own terms this time.

11. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Interesting that the article said he only worked on his programs a week before he want to Regina. On one hand I'd say "awesome job" for that amount of practice time. On the other hand I question why he didn't start sooner. He's been on the entry list for Regina for weeks so I have to assume it's not like he just decided a week before to enter. *shrug*

Still the article is good and it seems he wants to go out the way he wants. I'm not expecting a 3A attempt in Mississauga but I'm sure he'll decide if he stays in one more year based on how things go there. He'll be pretty nervous.

I'll also add that if he was going to recycle old programs I think he picked two ones to resurrect. Tango was also very good but he can't skate up to it right now so I understand why he didn't pick it.

12. jamcan

jamcan New Member

not at all what I was saying. Obviously the judges will judge what's in front of them at the time. Just saying....as far as support from SC (financially and assignments) perhaps he's had his chances already.

13. jamcan

jamcan New Member

I also want to commend Eman for trying to live his dream. A comeback is very hard! I do think he 'missed the boat' on his dream while it was still attainable. Just my thoughts of course. Wouldn't we all love to relive an opportunity lost?

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

From what he said in the article, it didn't sound like he had specific placement goals; just trying to skate for himself, because he wanted to recapture the pure joy of the sport and seeing where that takes him. In many ways similar to what Elayne Zayak did when she came back to US Nationals in 94 or 95. I don't see any part of this would be unattainable...

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Cdns audiences can be a very warm and embracing bunch. If a skater goes out and does their personal best and really sells the program, the audience will show their support regardless of placement. Names that the crowd knows from year to year or from the past are also more than welcome. I think if Eman makes it to Canadians and lays down two solid programs and really skates his heart out, the audience will be on their feet and supporting him fully.

And maybe that's all that he really -and realistically - wants.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. jamcan

jamcan New Member

agreed if that truly IS his goal. Personally I believe, his actions speak louder than any 'press' article. ;)

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Oh yes, signing up for a qualifying event must mean this is step 1 in trying to take over the (skating) world. No other possible explanation :p.

18. jamcan

jamcan New Member

:rolleyes: well that makes about as much sense as signing up for a COMPETITION but not caring where you place :lol::p

19. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

There's a pretty big difference between not caring how you do and not having a specific placement be the end goal. Maybe his goals are more about landing a specific number of jumps and getting certain levels. Or maybe Sandhu would be happy with two clean skate at Nationals, even if that places him -say- 6th.

20. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I wouldn't say this about many skaters.. but Sandhu is one skater I wouldn't mind seeing if he could actually make it all the way back as he never reached his potential because I think his mental health issues impacted on his performance and lack of training. Now if things are more stable with him and he can find the resources I hope he can give it another shot - if nothing else to just leave the sport on his own terms..

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The linked article says he graduated from the National Ballet School. Is that true? I thought he left without finishing his program so that he could concentrate on skating.

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't think he finished, likely the journalist's error. From what I understand, few actually do graduate from NBS. I took adult classes there for years, and one of the instructors told me that the attrition rate from year to year is significant. It's highly competitive, and the further up they get, the more intense it gets knowing there are so few who will get a job as a dancer in company. If they've got a back up plan - or in Eman's case something he was actually better at - then at some point they make a choice.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Ditto for Gary Beacom.

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Well, CTV/TSN/RDS better air Eman's skate(s) instead of repeating Amelie Lacoste a million times!

25. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

His wiki bio says he graduated from NBS.

26. Zemgirl

Yes, but no reference is given for that claim. I don't consider Wikipedia untrustworthy, but I do question anything that appears there without a source.

When I edit skating articles on Wikipedia, I make sure everything I add/change is properly sourced and verifiable.

27. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I don't see any evidence that he's getting financial support or assignments from SC. But, again, if he were to get the results that normally come with financial support and assignments, are you saying SC should skip over him even though he's earned it?

28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The CBC could have taken that from the (unverified) information on Wikipedia.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The Wikipedia bio doesn't have a specific citation for his graduation from the National Ballet School, but one of the sources in the footnotes is a 2005 article by Barry Mittan that reads: