Emanuel Sandhu Skating at Challenge

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by googooeyes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. mag

mag Well-Known Member

This link to the BC/YT Section website http://www.skatinginbc.com/ will give information on live streaming. Generally there is a link on the right hand side of the home page for any live streamed events.

2. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I think his ballet training made him a little stiff in his carriage.

I saw him skate live several times and never thought he was slow. I thought he was average no better nor any worse than others.

3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I would guess this must be an error. PJ called his return last year 'the shortest come-back of all time' - said it lasted about 10 minutes.

4. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Is there no way to confirm whether this is a mistake or not?

5. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I would love this to be true but I'm not getting my hopes up after last year!

I think Shae & Eman would have been great (2 divas in a nice way) but personally I always thought he would make a beautiful pairs skater... :swoon:

6. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxqwVCOk0Uo

The announcement - real or not - skate or not - has sent me to watch Youtube videos.
    This man was just far too good to have not been better than he was. If that makes any sense.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Eman has smouldering dark good looks. :) He wouldn't have problem looking for a partner for ice dancing?!

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I totally loved Eman when he was skating. After he won the GPF beating Plushy I thought he would up the ante and get more consistent. I heard he had a hopeless work ethic but what a gorgeous skater when he was on.

9. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

10. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

It's no mistake ... Emanuel Sandhu is indeed scheduled to compete at the Challenge.

Skate Canada Press Release

11. quartz

quartz I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me

Well, he has aways been my most favorite frustration, and even if nothing comes of it, I wish him all the best.

12. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Ditto this!

I would LOVE LOVE to see him skate again - even though there would be a ton of challenges -not the least of which are the new demands in COP since he left and everyone upping their levels those ways.

13. grimey

grimey bird is the word

He was the first one I remember performing the spin, but I am not sure if it was his own invention.

14. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Out of curiousity, how many of these qualifiers move on to Canadian Nationals?

15. hohoho

hohoho Member

Chan, Reynolds, Firus, Rogozine, Ten, Balde all have byes to nationals because of either podium in 2012 nats or SGP appearance. Unless I missed someone, 12 will advance from Challenge making a total of 18 for Nationals

16. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Natalie Krieg was performing the butt spin way back in the early to mid 90's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnoRJ8gZpZU

17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I was about to post that , aptinar. Also, many seem to think Caroline Zhang originated the Pearl or Oyster spin, but Nathalie was doing that spin in the early 90's. She usually went from the pearl position to a Biellmann.

18. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Thanks! I see Balde is also doing this comp. I guess just for experience?

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Skatebuzz/Skate Canada has initiated a Season Ticket subscription ($19.95) starting with Challenge - I've started a thread in TV Alerts with info links: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...subscription-required-starting-with-Challenge

20. screech

screech Well-Known Member

According to an acquaintance's Facebook, she just watched Emanuel practice and said he's looking good. She didn't mention what jumps he's doing, though.

21. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

His results in the Challenge are here.

22. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

His SP at the challenge was the same SP from 2000 Nationals. Same costume it looks like, too.
    Here's the link to the 2000 program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc6_c5g1P1Y

He looked good. Pretty fit and not too nervous. 3F+3T+C well done, popped the loop and was forward on the 2A. Only 56pts but he's on track to qualify for Nationals no problem. Interested in seeing what he does in the LP. Hopefully he gets the 3A back.

Couldn't tell who was coaching him. Almost seemed like no one. Some woman handed him his guards and he talked to her while waiting for the marks, but for all we know she could have been a volunteer at the event.

23. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

He has no coach at this point. I wonder if he has the resources to afford one.

24. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Having no coach is still better than having Joanne........ :eek:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I honestly wish him luck, and recall his skating fondly. The best male artistic skater to come out of Canada.

And I imagine he, like so many others (aka Johnny Weir), is motivated to return to the Olympics to add that oh so precious elusive Olympic Team Medal to his resume.

I wouldn't put it past him to succeed in this endeavor, to earn that much coveted second spot. Kevin Reynolds, beware...

26. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Decent result.. I hope he gets his 3A and/or his quad back by Nationals.

27. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

When I first looked at his PCS I was almost horrified at how low they were - until I went and looked at how the skaters above his were marked and then didn't feel so bad. Having him on the World Team could be ... interesting.

28. jamcan

jamcan New Member

:scream: I hope SC comprehends how many chances this guy has already had. Time for someone else to see how they can do imo.

29. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I just can't let this comment pass without mentioning Toller Cranston.

30. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I would agree with this IF there were any other Canadian men skating like they wanted that second spot. Many suggest Kevin Reynolds is all but a lock, but he's had plenty of chances himself. I don't know that his results have improved enough to suggest he deserves his spot over anyone else, even Emanuel. The other Canadian men in the 2-6 range aren't exactly fresh on the scene. I'm an Ellaj fan, and even he's been toiling in the mid-pack a few years. If someone steps up I'm down with giving them a shot, but until then I think Emanuel deserves a chance as much as anyone.

I was really impressed by what I saw for someone who's been out of competition since 2007, including a stint where his focus was dance. But I admit I'm a sucker for Sandhu. ;)