Emanuel Sandhu Skating at Challenge

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by googooeyes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

2. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:confused:...Didn't Eman do this last year as well? If I recall correctly he was listed to compete at Challenge but pulled out last minute, don't have link or such but I remember people speaking about it on FSU.

3. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Yes, that is how I remember it. How old is he now?

4. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

He registered for sectionals last year and withdrew.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:cheer:

7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I was always a great Sandhu fan and I've missed him, but he always broke my heart....so much talent, a great skater, but no competitive nerves. I don't think anyone had more beautiful lines and stretch...

8. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Scissoring Cizeron!

I am SOOOOO skeptical. But if this holds true, I am SOOOOOO excited! If we have to see the butt spin constantly, let's see one that looks good!

Doggygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

This is called "I have no other way to make money since the singing and dancing fell through so I might as well give it another crack". Speaking of crack, it seems groin injuries are fairly vogue these days. My bet will be this is what takes him down.

He strikes me like the Johnny Weir type. Will skate the short, score 55 pts and then withdraw with a sprawling rash or whatever.

Meh. If he was serious he woulda made a bigger deal about this.

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'll be shocked if he actually does skate, but it could be interesting.

11. Ballroomdancer

Ballroomdancer New Member

One of my favourites, but I'm not holding my breath. (Sat in the front row at the SYTYCD Canada Tour. Fantastic.)

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm glad he's not making a big deal about this. We don't need another big announcement that fizzles into a big nothing. Let him do his thing quietly, without the spotlight.

And maybe this isn't a "comeback" at all, but rather a skater wanting to test himself and keep up his skills. He still performs from time to time, so maybe he just wants to stay in shape.

And maybe, it's a typo - he was on the list for last year, so they put him on again, whether he was planning to participate or not.

13. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Another skater who would have been brilliant and very wealthy in professional competitions. He was just born 20 years too late.
    I hope he stays in the sport as a choreographer/coach. The experience he just got from sytycd is exactly what this sport needs: more interaction with off-ice hip choreographers.
    If Canada gets 3 Olympic spots, that might motivate him to get himself in top shape. Unlike Weir's US competitors, the field is not that deep in Canada, so you never know.

14. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

When I see I youtube video or pic of him competing and finishing the comp I will believe it. I hope he does. I love his skating and always have.

15. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

This seems very odd, given his age and how long it's been since he competed. I had always hoped he would go into ice dance with his absolutely glorious style and body line. Not sure who would be able to be his partner, but I always wonder......

16. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Could very well be a typo or someone not changing the list from last year. I remember Shae and Victor's name appearing on a starting order at Canadians a few years after they had retired.

17. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Hmmmm ... ice dancer? How about Vanessa Crone? Isn't she still looking for a partner? How would they look/do together? At least with ES, Vanessa would be getting someone who has been and won in the spotlight and has some decent skating skills. Anyone?

18. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

Eman is more ballet/classical in his body movement(although he can clearly do any style), and I think Vanessa is much more athletic and wouldn't really look right. When Victor split with Shae-Lyn, I wonder if she ever considered Eman as a potential partner. I think that their contrast in styles actually could have produced some interesting possibilities.

19. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I find it hard to imagine E-man as an ice dancer, since one person can't shine at the expense of the other in a partnership. I don't see him as a team player.

I remember Kurt being asked about this way back (early 90's), since he's a guy who in many ways would have made a great ice dancer - great musicality, footwork, expression, etc., but he said something along the lines of no, a partner wouldn't be able to put up with him, he needs to do his own thing.

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Based on her work with hockey players, I'd say Shae could make any man on skates into a good partner.

21. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

He has been skating in some ice shows.

Here is a nice 2012 performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PNFOot1ens

Love the unique position (I can't recall seeing anyone else do that one) in one of the spins.

Did he compete under cop?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  22. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Thanks for the info, links and video. I love Emanuel! :cheer2:

23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

He did (or under an earlier version of it), which is how he beat Plushenko at the 2003 GPF Final. Plushenko missed out on some points because of one of his jump choices, and because they were pretty even on the scores for all the other elements, Sandhu won.

24. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Very nice spin position. Will be interesting to see when it will be copied first and by whom.

25. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Didn't he make the butt spin big and we see a bunch of skaters copy it? For all his :drama: his skating truly is sublime.

26. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

:rofl:

27. shine

shine Well-Known Member

He was a good skater. But he tended to be quite slow. I really enjoyed his unique style, but his posture and carriage just always came across somewhat unnatural.

28. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Nice to see he's getting the most out of his old competitive costumes.

He has such glorious speed and flow...when he's not competing...

Let's see if he comes back.

29. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

When is this event?

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012