Ellen leaving American Idol

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by shells, Jul 30, 2010.

1. shells

shells New Member

2. soxxy

soxxy Guest

There's all kind of rumors going on....Elton John, Harry Connick, Jr., and the fact that all the judges will be replaced.
  3. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Well, she's right, she looked like she never fit in, was uncomfortable, actually just kind of snoring. It was so obvious that the others knew music and she did not. Sorry Ellen. Your show is good.
  4. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Please get rid of Ryan seacrest
  5. cem

cem New Member

Ryan is probably the only person that's safe.
  6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Monday is the big announcement. Apparently there may be an entire new judge panel. Rumors are that Kara doesn't have a contract and Randy wants out.
  7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Don't forget also Bret Michaels, Jessica Simpsons ....

Can we say that AI has jumped the shark and just let it die after next season?
  8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Can they cancel it now, much as we loved to hate Simon, I can't imagine the show without him.
  9. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Seems like an entire new judging panel is likely. Out of the names I've heard mentioned since it was announced last year that season 9 would be Simon Cowell's final season, I've been most favorable at the possibility of Harry Connick Jr. being named a judge. I can see Jessica Simpson filling the friendly judge role that Paula used to occupy. Not sure about the other judge (or two).
  10. shells

shells New Member

Harry Connick Jr appeals to me as a judge. Elton John, does he need the money that badly?
  11. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I wonder who have the judges have been on the road. A girl from my hometown has already auditioned and made it to Hollywood week. But there was nothing in the article in the local paper interview where she said the judges had been changed.
  12. KatieC

KatieC Still jet lagged

Don't shoot me, but I wasn't too impressed by Harry Connick Jr when he acted as a mentor last year. I don't deny his knowledge of music, but I found him rather self centred.
  13. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Woah, never saw this coming (if it's true). I have no idea if it is true, wait and see at this point.
  14. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Really? I thought he was being mentioned somewhat regularly as a possible judge because his appearance went over quite well with audiences.
  15. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I heard rumors of a Justin Timberlake? or was that just E! speculation?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. mindy74

mindy74 Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised. Ellen always seemed very uncomfortable giving criticism to the singers.

I think Neil Patrick Harris would be great, but I don't know if he would want to do it at this point in his career.
  17. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Please fire Kara...Please fire Kara...

I read a rumor that Courtney Love was in negotiations. If that happens, I'm watching just for the epic train-wreck.:lol:
  18. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Totally would start watching again if Courtney love is on lolollollol. Jessica would be funny as well. Tired of Randy maybe paula could come back.
  19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I thought she kind of sucked as a judge.....
  20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

They just need to put the entire show out of its misery.
  21. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Paula? Yeah she did kinda suck, be nice revenge tho for being so underpaid. Did you see her reality show? Omg she cried cuz she hated the new couch her decorater bought. Total breakdown and crying. Made good tv tho.
  22. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Wow, J.Lo and Steven Tyler as new judges?
    Maybe

That might actually be interesting....lmao. However, I think it does ultimately come down to the contestants. The contestants need to not suck for the show to be any good. Last season, nearly all of the contestants sucked.

Ellen leaving was a good choice though.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Not sad to hear this. Love Ellen, but not as an AI judge.
  24. genegri

genegri Active Member

I didn't read the article. Did she leave voluntarily? If so, good for her for knowing her own limitations.
  25. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I enjoyed her comments sometimes..quite funny. But, I agree she didn't really belong here.
  26. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

It appears so.
  27. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I think Ellen made the right choice. I enjoy her outside of AI, but she just didn't work on the panel. I found her very bland.
  28. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Jlo rumored to judge as well.
  29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Even though I swore off AI after this season, if Courtney Love is one of the judges, I just may be sucked back into the 19Evil Vortex :rofl: .

Jennifer Lopez, though? :yawn: :blah:

The ought to bring in Ice-T - I can only imagine some of his critiques :lol: .
    Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/arts/television/30ellen.html?hp

I can't picture J. Lo as a judge. She barely moves her mouth when she talks.

31. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I read yesterday that her contract was year to year and it hasn't been renewed so she's most likely out, I think. With Ellen it said that she had a multi year contract, so that might be a problem if they wanted all new judges (and that's what the article said too), but if she wants out herself, this problem seems to be solved.

There's a trainwreck (Paula etc.) and there's a train-wreck. :scream:

Elton John would be great. He's a legend. He would give a lot of credibility to the show. Jennifer Lopez? She's like grown up Miley Cyrus. All style, no substance. If I was going to audition, I would love to have a chance to be judged by people like Elton John. Jennifer Lopez? I couldn't care less what she would have to say.
  32. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

The early rounds of auditions only have production assistants and producers. Idol goes back to each city later on, with the judges, after the producers have whittled it down to 100 or so in each place.
  33. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Not even if she says "Yes, you're going to Hollywood." ?
  34. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

35. soxxy

soxxy Guest

36. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think a whole new judging panel is the final nail in the coffin. The show may go one for another few years but that will be it. I think an interesting idea will be a new judging panel EVERY year. That would neat and give it competition with DWTS as far as wondering what big names will be on this year. I bet they could find 3-4 celebs a year willing to commit to the time and work. I just think when they start running out of big names and respected people, they need to quit.
  37. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I'm glad Kara and Ellen are both gone. Ellen didn't bring much to the table, and Kara was just annoying.
  38. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

I just think they need to quit NOW. The shark hath jumpeth.
  39. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

There is probably no way they could afford Elton John or other big music industry names.
  40. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Yeah. They should have had Ellen replace Ryan as host. He is so freaking annoying.

Kara is very annoying, too. And I often didn't like her advice to the contestants -- or the way she delivered it. She's way too full of herself. She is the judge I'd most like to see go. At least Ellen was a little entertaining and wasn't a wind bag.

Jennifer Lopez and Courtney Love make no sense. I don't see Jennifer being particular interesting, insightful, or entertaining. Courtney would be a mess. Yes, Paula was a mess, but at least she was a cute mess and she was able to appreciate a broad range of musical talent. Jessica Simpson is basically an in articulate reality star in my mind. I assume she would just be saying whatever the producers told her to say.

I thought Harry Connick, Jr. was great as a mentor and all the contestants apparently loved him. But, judging is a different thing and I don't know how he would do with music outside of his own genre. Bret Michaels has serious health issues and his having heart surgery later this year. No way is he on the panel no matter how much he wants it.

The person I would least like to see associated with this show, though, is Nigel Lythgoe. He puts way too much focus on the judges, is far too into the back story and manipulating the voting, and strikes me as homophobic. I doubt he ever would have put Adam on the show.