Ellen Degeneres Addresses Her JCPenney Critics

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by masofs, Feb 8, 2012.

1. masofs

masofs New Member

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:respec:

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That was awesome. First, how could anyone hate Ellen? Secondly, don't those people have something, ANYTHING, better to do with their time? Sometimes I wish I wasn't gay because I feel like my stance on this isn't taken seriously because I am gay. I know deep down that this isn't right and my thoughts aren't always fueled by being gay myself. I wonder what those women think about this Macy's ad:

http://purpleunions.com/blog/2012/0...k-out-over-macys-ad-with-gay-cake-topper.html

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Way to go, Ellen! I'm gonna send JCPenny a message saying "Thank you for not giving in to these bigots!"

5. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

6. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I'm gay, but I don't discriminate George W. Bush. It's not his fault he was borne George. Imagine when he was a kid, and other kids would bully him: "He's George, he's George". Imagine what he went through when he had to tell his parents: "Mum, dad, I have to confess to you: I'm George. I was ashamed, I fought it, and then I realized it just wasn't my fault". I'm gay, but I understand someone derves equal rights even if he's borne George.

7. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    masofs and (deleted member) like this.
  8. masofs

masofs New Member

9. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I absolutely adore Ellen. She's smart, hilarious, compassionate and gorgeous - what's not to love? And props to JC Penney for not backing down on the issue.

10. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Ellen's gay?

11. masofs

masofs New Member

Yeah, I adore her too. She is such an honest and compassionate person.

12. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I wonder, or perhaps I should say I hope, that this issue and the Susan Komen issue become a turning point for the quiet majority. I'm part of that quiet majority. You know, people who are kind and considerate, who treat people the way they want to be treated, who have open minds and aren't interested in forcing their beliefs on others. We can't believe that people would actually try to take mammograms away from low income women or hate Ellen, just because she is gay. So sometimes the very vocal minority gets away with stuff they shouldn't.
    I don't know about others like me, but these two issues have made me take a bit more notice. They may not be happening in my country (yet!) but that doesn't mean I shouldn't let organization know when I don't approve or when I do approve. I may not make a difference all on my own, but 1000 to 10,000 of me perhaps can.

I've sent my email to JC Penny to let them know that I support their decision and they have a new customer.

13. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

As do I and yes, yes, yes, and YES to all that you said up there. How many other hosts on their shows end it w/...

Sad that needs to be said or remind people to be that very thing, but also a sign of the times we're in sadly. Huge PROPS to JC Penney for not backing down and keeping Ellen.

Now off to download Ellen's video. W/my slow as molasses connection, I should be watching it around 10 tonight... :rolleyes:

14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Um...how about people who don't think she's very funny? :p

15. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Mag - you have a very good point there. Without making this political, I am part of the passive majority that doesn't squeak or protest. But this month, I've emailed JCP (thanks for the link), and donated to Planned Parenthood, a place I've never visited, but appreciate.

Back to topic - love Ellen. She's done a lot for animal rights, she's not a nasty person at all, and had voiced one of my favorite Pixar charactrers - Dory from Finding Nemo. :cool:

16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

In that case they could dislike her a little, but hate? Such a strong word and so overused in most instances.

17. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Sent an e-mail to JCP expressing my support. Thanks so much for the link!

18. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

"Thank you” email sent!

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Those people don't exist. Try again. :p

20. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I wish you didn't feel that way. Your stance is spot on. And you should never feel that your opinion is not taken seriously. These people (OMM) are vile. JCP did the right thing. Ellen is an amazing human being. She is an example to us all.

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

JCP is making so much publicity off this, I could almost believe they actually paid OMM to start the whole media circus. :p

22. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Haven't you read any YT comments ever/lately? ;)

24. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Done!

BTW, here's what I sent:

"Cudos for not bowing to the pressure from a small-minded minority who opposed your decision to use Ellen Degeneres as a spokesperson. In an age when so many corporations are crippled by fear, it's refreshing to see a company that lets right -- and common sense -- prevail. Thank you!"

25. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Just received a reply back from JC Penny:

Our recent announcement, rooted in rich heritage, re-imagines every aspect of our business to become America's favorite store. We appreciate your feedback and are equally excited to partner with America's favorite host and former jcp associate, Ellen Degeneres, to help tell our story. Thank you for your feedback.

Cordially,

Lana
    jcp.com Customer Care
    We make it affordable, you make it yours!

26. cruisin

I didn't get a reply, but I sent a message.

27. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I got the exact same reply as mag. Not that I expected a "personal" reply of course -- and I'm guessing they're getting a lot of mail on this!

Funny, though, they could send almost the same form response to a negative/complaint letter!

28. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

:lol: Me three on the response. Wonder what reply the 'hater moms' received?

29. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I suspect they're sending the same message to everyone.

30. cruisin

Except me :( :)