Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins 2011 Japan Open

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Coming in as a late replacement for Sarah Meier, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva has just won the Japan Open on her senior debut. She beat quite an impressive line up. The result was as follows:-

1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva RUS – 118.59
    2. Joannie Rochette CAN – 112.74
    3. Akiko Suzuki JPN – 112.46
    4. Alena Leonova RUS – 108.39
    5. Alissa Czisny USA – 107.64
    6. Miki Ando JPN – 88.11

No videos available yet, but apparently she successfully landed six triples, including two triple-triple combinations - a triple lutz-triple toe, and a triple salchow-triple toe late on in the program. Her short program this season is Adios Nonino (a tango by Ástor Piazzolla) and her free skate is Besame Mucho (by Consuelo Velázquez). Here are some video's of her performing both programs earlier in the season.

Short Program & Free Skate

Short Program

As for Adelina Sotnikova, news from the Russian Test Skates is that she produced a near perfect performance of her new short program (hence, if there is a leg problem still, it obviously isn't causing her any major problems). Accordingly, looks like both Russian newbies will be entering the senior grand prix in very good form.

Evidently, Sotnikova's late withdrawal from the Ondrej Nepela Memorial event was to enable her to properly prepare for the Russian Test Skates.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

If she can hit this, that would be amazing. Still hoping for a triple axel though.

3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Triple axels are overrated. If Mao had spent more time on her other triples then the axel maybe she wouldn't have had to fix her technique on them. No one has done them like Midori Ito.

4. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Liza at Japan Open was absolutely amazing. Her jumps and other elements were great, and her performance does not look junior-ish at all.

She and Jeffrey Buttle were the highlights of the competition for me.

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

ITA. I remember Mishin saying Liza's triple axel isn't ready yet. Since she's training alongside with Plushenko and Gachinski, I think she has a pretty better chance of actually succeeding it in competition.

6. fan

fan Well-Known Member

uh, isn't this a big spoiler? can someone edit the title?

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Next question: how do you pronounce her last name? TOOK-tammy-shave-uh?

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Took-tah-MI-sheh-vah

The mi- should be pronounced as in midnight. The sheh- should be pronounced as in sharing.

9. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Tuktamysheva skates really juniorishly. Mad skills, but juniorish in every way pre-IJS.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I appreciate her potential but the use of the arms was IMO misguided in the Tango SP.

11. Louise

Louise Banned Member

A big spoiler for whom, may I ask? It's after the event, it happened, results are posted, deal with it. Thank you.

12. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

The event has already taken place and aired on TV. This is not a spoiler.

13. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

She has very good technique just not a fan of her style but it's not that juniorish to me. I'm excited to see what happens in the next few years.

14. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

There's quite a few things to work on (spins, for example), but I don't find her juniorish for a 14 year old. She seems quite expressive and connects with the music and the audience well. And obviously, the technical is great. She has a lot of transitions out of the jumps, but I hope she adds more going into them.

15. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I see great improvement over last year in presentation. Jumps are gorgeous, though the flip seems to give her the most trouble.

Her only weak point would be the spins. The positions could be improved, especially the layback.

16. bek

bek Guest

I don't think a girl has to have a triple axel like Midori Ito in order to make it worthwhile. Its still amazing Mao can do that jump.

I agree though that the focus shouldn't be on that jump alone, and it seems pretty clear that Elizaveta's coach agrees as well. Tukt has fabulous jumps..
    I like some of her sit spins but the layback and the other positions and the spiral.... I must say though I love the way she lands her jumps and exits out of them.

17. Eris

Eris New Member

Her back hurts so she can't do a proper layback :(

18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

That's sad. :(

I think she should move it though from the end of the program. It isn't her strongest element, and you really want to finish on a high note!

19. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

ITA. She is so fierce throughout the program and it ends in a whimper with that barely there layback.

Otherwise, I love watching her skate. She has so much conviction and confidence and really commits to her choreography. Can't wait to see how much more she develops heading into Sochi. :cheer:

I feel like I keep throwing people at Shae-Lynn Bourne, but I'd love to see Liza work with someone like her. She has so much interpretive potential IMO.

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Isn't she just 13 years old??!! What did you expect? I like her potential. Artistic development will come as she grows up.

21. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thank's for the refresher vids! I've always liked the arm overhead double axel!

Congrats to Tuktamysheva on winning her first Senior international right out of the box! The young guns are going to keep the vets on their toe picks!
    Sounds like Elizaveta did an awesome job, can't wait to see actual footage of the competition! I of course can't wait to see Joannie's and Alissa's efforts.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  22. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK3W_tzkvCs

Here's her skate from the Japan Open. She is 14, not 13. Her birthday is in December, so she'll be (only) 15 for worlds, so she will go to junior worlds instead, unless something drastic happens.

23. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Many thanks for the video link doubleflutz! That was an awesome skate and in no way could that be described as a "juniorish" performance (indeed, it would be an insult to Joannie Rochette, Alissa Czisny, and the other seniors to tell them that they had been beaten by a "juniorish" performance!) The two triple-triple combinations were superb (with 6 triples in total). When I began this thread, I included links to Liza's performances from earlier in the season. Given her skate at the Japan Open, she has certainly moved on since then and stepped up several levels. I think that by the time she hits the senior Grand Prix in November, she will be very tough to beat.

24. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Here is the video for Alissa's performance:-

Alissa Czisny

25. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I've watched this program several times now, and Tuktamysheva really has her own style, and an understated elegance very much like Sarah Meier.

26. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Liza T. and Akiko S. fantastic! As for Alyssa...well, a program skated to funeral music doesn't help. Where's the energy and brio? Liza and others may also be skating to slow music but they sparkle and show energy. Alyssa must have been ill in Japan this past weekend.

27. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Liza T's style but I wouldn't call her juniorish either. She doesn't have the ease, flow or polish that some of the more established skaters have, but all of that will come with time. What she does have is confidence, fire and killer jumps with great technique. I would like to see her challenged with some real choreography as well--something to really push her. Again, that will come with time. Her jumps were solid, she looked like she was having fun and it was a good performance. Liza T's spins are a weakness though. There was nothing good about that "layback" (IDK if you can even call it that) and her other spins needed better positioning and speed...but that's something she can work on.

Point is, she has a fabulous base and has plenty of room to build up her skating, style, presentation, etc. I really see this season as a continuation of last year's JGP season: it'll probably be Elizaveta versus Adelina...I don't think these senior ladies know what's about to hit them. They got a taste of Liza T, but wait until Adelina comes along...they won't know what hit them...

28. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

I think these young girls might also push senior ladies to increase the difficulty and skate better. And I really hope they will, I'm tired of splatfests when one can land the jumps but can't fully rotate them and the other can rotate but can't land... Especially now, with Kim and Ando out and Mao's problems, Grand Prix events really need a breath of fresh air like Adelina and Liza

29. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Do we have protocals from the event?

30. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Mishins skaters are typically not good with spins. That goes back to Urmanov even. I wonder if he teaches his skaters to rest during spins because they are never a highlight of his skaters programs. Yagudins were OK, Plushenko is a slow spinner...