Elizabeth Taylor has Passed Away RIP

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LisaS, Mar 23, 2011.

1. RubyLaRhumba

RubyLaRhumba New Member

That about sums it up! RIP Elizabeth Taylor
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I went to the video store last night after work and nabbed 4 Taylor films to watch this weekend: Suddenly Last Summer, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Butterfield 8, and Elephant Walk. They didn't have A Place in the Sun in stock and I didn't feel like getting all gloomy with Virginia Woolf.
  3. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Westboro Baptist will be picketing at the funeral...:mad:

Westboro
  4. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, she was still living in England when GWTW was being filmed, and she didn't come to the US until April 1939. She wasn't even signed to a major studio (Universal) until 1941. MGM first signed her in 1942.
  5. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

That's because it isn't true.

http://dameelizabethtaylor.com/faqs.html

6. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

That's interesting. The reporter got it wrong then, since I did read it in one of the obits.

Nevertheless, it still is a shame she didn't do it! She would have been perfect for the part.
  7. manleywoman

And see, personally I disagree. You never forgot is was Kate playing a role, same with Cary Grant, and many others. They never really disappeared into the role the way Bette Davis and Meryl Streep do. That's why I'd put Bette Davis at the top of the list.

Not to say she wasn't a great actress, but I don't think the actor's personality should overshadow the character. JMO.
  8. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've got three words for you: Eleanor of Aquitaine. If The Lion in Winter isn't a case of performance overshadowing personality, I don't know what is.
  10. manleywoman

Admittedly I've never seen that one. So I'll check it out.
  11. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

ITA, one of my all time favorite movies and Kate was fantastic. I would say Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is one where her personality shone through, but I think it was still a tour de force performance.
  12. duane

duane New Member

IMHO, the list is ridiculous! Such a list without Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor in the top-5? (I would have them as the top-2, with MM on top. But I LOVE me some MM!). And, no Gloria Swanson, Betty Grable or Lana Turner on the list?? Puh-lease!
  13. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

On GMA this morning, they showed film of a Barbara Walters interview with Dame Elizabeth. There was a short video summary of Taylor's husbands (and a fascinating summary of her jewels), and then Barbara asked Elizabeth about her relationship with Richard Burton. Ms. Taylor talked about the intense passion between them, and how they always needed to be touching each other. Barbara asked Elizabeth if Richard was the love of her life. Elizabeth paused and then said, "Mike and Richard were the loves of my life." It was so touching :wuzrobbed
  14. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Speaking of her jewels...

Is it true she put in her will that on her death, the Prince of Wales feathers diamond brooch she bought through the Duchess of Windsor's Auction was to go to Charles?

I *know* I read that somewhere, but it's been such a long time ago, I don't remember where I read that.
  15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

16. duane

duane New Member

Ok, so it's not just me!
  17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am just hoping there is an FSUer who'd met her in person and can testify. Or knows someone who'd met her. :p
  18. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  19. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I watched the Biography special on her tonight. What really struck me was her kindness to everyone. Her fierce devotion to friends. Her love of family. Her tireless crusading for AIDS victims when the rest of the world shunned them. A true Dame in every sense of the word and a beautiful woman inside and out.
  20. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

How incredibly Christian of them... :rolleyes:

RIP, Ms. Taylor.
  21. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Such a wonderful performance, but perhaps even better is Miss Hepburn's performance as Mary Tyrone in Eugene O'Neill's "Long Day's Journey into Night". She was a very different person from the character of a Irish Catholic schoolgirl who marries a charismatic young stage actor and becomes a dope addict in the years after the birth of their 2 sons and her husband's constant touring in his warhorse signature role, which he chooses for income rather than fulfilling his promise to be a fine Shakespearean artist.

This is not "Requiem for a Dream" slammed in your face (LDJIN was filmed in the very early 1960's), but far more subtle and no less horrifying.

ETA: I cannot believe I forgot Doris Day on the list of Golden Age stars still with us. Tie in to Ms. Taylor: in the movie "The Mirror Crack'd", her character, attempting to make a return to film after WWII and a tragedy in her life, stares into a mirror and intones "Bags, bags, go away - come again on Doris Day!". :rofl:
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  22. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

This is huge. I heard the news on my car radio the day she passed. Awesome beauty, personality, talent, and humanitarian too. RIP Elizabeth. She will be missed.

I am trying to remember which ones of her movies I have seen-

Cleopatra
    Cat on a hot tin roof
    Giant

I am sure I will remember more later.

Got to rent 'Butterfield 8' and 'Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf?'
  23. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf was on TCM at 2 am. I got it on my DVR for the rainy weekend they are predicting here in Atlanta.
  24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I think Summertime was her best performance, and least mannered.
  25. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

Elizabeth Taylor's funeral was already held so the Westboro Baptist Church thugs can't disrupt the service.

I know it's not considered a great movie but I loved Cleopatra. She looked so vibrant in that movie. And I won't forget Elizabeth's brief role as Helena Cassidine in "General Hospital."

RIP Miss Taylor, you are unforgettable.
  26. Wyliefan

Interesting you mention that; after I posted about Lion, I thought about Long Day's Journey as another example of a magnificent performance. She was so incredibly versatile.

Oh, how I HATED that film. The Mirror Crack'd is my favorite Christie novel, and they made such a wreck of it. :( It would have been okay just as a soapy TV movie, but as an adaptation of that book, it was a disaster.
  27. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

In a final display of her humour, Elizabeth Taylor left instructions that the beginning of her funeral (held privately yesterday at Forest Lawn Cemetery) should be delayed to show that she was someone who would be "late for her own funeral"! It is reported to have begun 16 minutes late :)

There are plans being put together for a public memorial at a later date, apparently.
  28. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

She also had a cameo in the miniseries North and South as the Madam of the New Orleans bordello where Madeleine's mother worked as a prostitute before marrying one of her clients.

ETA: Wheeeee!! Found it!!
  29. Norlite

Norlite New Member

lol....delightful and charming to the end.
  30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I loved it, and her!
    The world was better for her presence here; and is poorer for her absence.
  31. Civic

Civic New Member

In the above photo Taylor's eyes appear to be the color of periwinkles. However, I've noticed that photo, film and television cameras don't always accurately reflect some colors. Several years while attending Champions On Ice at MCI Center in Washington, D.C. I noticed that on the Jumbotron, a female skaters' violet blue dress appeared cobalt blue. Anton Sikharulidze's eyes usually appear dark brown in photos and on television but from what I've read they're actually green.

Back to Dame Elizabeth...my favorite film with she and Burton together was "The Sandpiper".
  32. Wyliefan

I ought to watch that miniseries sometime -- it's a who's-who of Hollywood. IIRC, Gene Kelly was in there too somewhere.
  33. ArtisticFan

I finally broke down and bought the DVD set of all three of the miniseries. They cut out pieces, which was unfortunate, but it is great to see all of these people in the cast. The opening credits for it take forever to get through because the list is basically three miles long.
  34. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Lots of articles mention her and Burton's affair and as him being the love of her life. I think he was a great love in her life but I've always thought Mike Todd was the love of her life. Her relationship with Mike was so wonderful. He treated her like queen, lavished her with love, gifts. Liz called him irresistable. I remember her saying that, 1957 was the greatest year of her life(she married Mike Todd, had a baby girl and was completed in love)

World win courtship after he told her to "not date" anyone but him a day after she announced her separation from Wilding. He courted romantically and aggressively. Also accepted her 2 children with Wilding.

The story of how Mike bought her "the infamous tiara". Quote from Liz
    I'v read that she would wear it when doing the dishes:)

Mike Todd and Liz Taylor interview.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWB515pbe5E You can see the love and admiration they have for each other. They hold hands alot in the video too. I really like Mike Todd.

Liz Quote regarding Mike Todd
    Mike Todd had dated Gypsy Rose Lee and was engaged to actress Evelyn Keyes.

Very interesting that Mike Todd's plane crashed on March 22, 1958: Elizabeth was suppose to fly with him on the plane "lucky Liz" (Mike private plane named after Liz)

Family pict with Mike Todd and baby Eliza

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trialsanderrors/4687590205/
  35. duane

duane New Member

Funny, but I was never a fan of Taylor's eye color--blue, lavender, whatever. I think blue eyes look more flattering on blondes. With her jet-black hair, brows, and lashes, I think she would have looked even more stunning with very dark, smoldering eyes! ;)
  36. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

37. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I totally disagree, I have always thought the contrast between her dark dark hair and her light eyes was so incredibly striking. I actually think that if she had been blonde her eyes wouldnt have stood out so much. Likewise, dark brown eyes wouldn't have stood out much either. I feel the same about Viven Leigh, who was also known for her unusual eye color and dark hair
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  38. Wyliefan

I call shenanigans. I refuse to believe Liz Taylor did dishes. :)
  39. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Same here. Maybe because it is so unexpected.
  40. ArtisticFan

My own natural hair color is very dark and my eye color is a bright blue. While I color my hair now, I have always received compliments on my eyes because they are such a strong contrast o my hair color.

I'm a fan of it myself, though I have a husband with dark brown eyes.

Elizabeth's Taylor's eyes were beautiful not only for the color but the shape and her abundant lashes. As somoene (can't remember who it was) said, she basically born with a double set of lashes.
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.