Eliot Halverson

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by johndockley92, Oct 22, 2012.

1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I haven't heard from him in awhile. I'm assuming he isn't skating anymore, at least competitively - right? Does anyone know if he's doing shows or what he's up to?
  2. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

No, he is not skating anymore. He moved away from Michigan earlier this year.
  3. isamelia

isamelia Member

We saw him coaching at the Ann Arbor Springtime Invitational this past May. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors!
  4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I spoke with him this past summer. He is healthy and happy. Done with skating himself, and looking forward to a new chapter in his life.
  5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ That's good to hear. Was it injuries that slowed him down and lessened his opportunities, or other factors (such as deep senior Nationals field)?
  6. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

As I recall, it was a back injury that caused Halverson to miss the 2010-2011 season and it prevented him from ever getting back into competitive shape after that.
  7. aftershocks

^^ Oh, yes, I seem to recall vaguely he was injured. I'm sorry to hear that the injury ended his promising career competing as an eligible skater. But it's good to know that he's now healthy and happy, and still involved in skating.
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Bumping this thread up for a skater sighting in New York City on Wednesday, March 27 at the Rockefeller Center rink!

"Englishman In New York" choreographed by [Young Artists Showcase] YAS 3 Champion Mark Hanretty, Skated by Eliot Halverson - 5 photos posted on the Ice Theatre of New York's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151504962477207.1073741866.273230042206&type=1

ETA: Icenetwork may have videos up in the near future.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Sylvia

10. Sylvia

Eliot Halverson of Ice Theatre of New York performs Englishman In New York, choreographed by Mark Hanretty, at the 2013 Skatetacular/Hurricane Sandy benefit show in West Orange, New Jersey on April 20, 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p9J-NfNoe4
  11. aftershocks

^^ Thanks, Sylvia.
  12. deetrakt

deetrakt Member

His Twitter account seems to be out of control--many apparently hacked recent tweets (in Russian, no less). However, his Facebook page- www.facebook.com/EliotHalverson -has up-to date info and photos. He is coaching at Chelsea Piers and elsewhere in NYC and recently participated in the big competition for young skating choreographers (whose name eludes me).
  13. Sylvia

Young Artists Showcase - see post #10 above for a video link. August 2013 article excerpt: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130809&content_id=56406736&vkey=ice_news&print=true
    Halverson is also listed as part of the skating staff for Figure Skating in Harlem: http://www.figureskatinginharlem.org/index.php/who-we-are/staff
  14. deetrakt

deetrakt Member

It's also covered in EH's Facebook posts, beginning last summer but continuing into December, I believe, when he announced he had made the finals (final 2, I think). I'm guessing that someone else won, because I believe that's the last reference to it he's made.

BTW, in following up, I noticed that he's still only 23! It makes sense, though, because his heyday as a junior competitor was 2008-2009. It must have been very tough to go from being US Junior Champion to shortly thereafter having to give up competitive skating. The "Englishman in New York" piece shows off what a natural, musical skater/performer he was (and still is).

PS He has one of the few smiles that could give Jason Brown a run for his money!

PPS To clarify, he says in a number of posts from summer 2013 through December 2013 that he's participating in an online choreographic competition, this time as a choreographer!