Elaine Zayak Interview-TSL Podcast

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSfan107, Mar 11, 2013.

1. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

http://youtu.be/ka-kGjf8zac

First part in a series of clips of their interview with Elaine Zayak that they will be uploading to YouTube. I really enjoy Elaine's candidness. It's refreshing to hear a former skater not hold back on how they felt.

I think their whole interview is available on iTunes if you don't want to wait for the other parts to be posted.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

LOL about the comments on Roz!

But I think Elaine meant to say Roz appeared in 1982, not 1983. Roz won Nationals in 1982, but was also 5th at Nationals in 1981. So, I'm not sure what Elaine meant when she spoke as if Roz appeared out of nowhere.

3. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I've always loved Elaine's candidness, because she pulls it off while remaining good-natured.

At the Olympics, Elaine should have placed 1st in the SP (in my opinion), 2nd at the very least. And she ended up 6th in that segment, I believe. In the LP, I thought she deserved 2nd, just under Tiffany Chin. Elaine had every right to be horribly bitter about the results and, while I know she was disappointed she got the shaft, she was thrilled she skated so well and remained upbeat.

She's one of the best "sports" out there and many other disappointed competitors could do well to take a page out of her book.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

There was a thread a couple years ago re placement in the SP at the '84 Olympics (I may have started it). But, I would've had Zayak in 3rd (interchangeable with Ivanova), but Witt and Chin ahead. Anyway, we can both agree that she was the biggest case of wuz-robbed in the SP at Sarajevo.

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I listened to the whole interview on iTunes and for me her most surprising comments were about the Nancy attack in '94 and how immediately after the attack all the skaters in the locker room thought Tonya was involved.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

That's right - forgot she was at 1994 us nationals. So she was there and competing. That should be some good stuff.

7. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

That had me :eek:!!

Looks like they just uploaded another clip of the interview focusing on 94 Nationals: http://youtu.be/jvKjQxCQ7Uo

Moto Guzzi and (deleted member) like this.
  8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I wish Elaine would elaborate on what she meant about how Tonya was a "special" person, LOL. Elaine's take on Roz is interesting; We usually hear pc statements about how "Oh we were rivals back then but we have such respect for each other now", blah,blah, blah, but it sounds like Elaine has never developed any warm feeling toward Roz over the years.

9. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Hell, when I heard about the attack on Nancy I thought it was Tonya's doing. :)

10. casken

casken Well-Known Member

The whole segment on Tonya is amazing.

11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

This interview is so awesome. I love the clips of 80s skaters appearing on a game show, and I love Elaine. Jenny and Dave work together to get us a lot of sides of the skater's life.

12. figureit

figureit Member

I had a good friend that was a skater and every time someone came to town she would invite me and my mom to the rink to meet them...it was fun:) ...and I didn't really know who they were at the time but Years ago I had the opportunity to meet both Roz and E..... Roz threw a fit was pissed she had to talk to the little skaters there ..yelled at her coach and wanted to brush her hair. She was very articulate though... I remembered thinking my mom would have killed me if I acted that way and I was amused/mortified by her behavior...HEY everyone has a bad day...

I also met Elaine...she said "her favorite class was cooking" and I remember my mom saying to me you will take a speech class...she had some issues being articulate apparently...but hey one thing about her..she gave you the time of day, she was sweet and welcoming, she payed attention to the little skaters, and had a smile that lit a room up and it made a difference to me...

I told my mom "I am staying away from speech class for sure!"

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  13. skateboy

Neither have I. ;)

14. skateboy

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  15. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Between Debi Thomas and Elaine Zayak, I'm loving these throwback to the 80's interviews. :respec:

I agree. Even when she was speaking about her dad, Roz and the negative comments about her weight, she never came across as bitter about the sport or life. She seems to be in a great place right now and I loved her comments on placing 4th in '94 and 4th place in general.

:eek: @ Jenny Kirk throwing out her pewter medal.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  16. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe that either. I can see how someone could not like the "4th place" medal, but I can't help but think that she will regret doing that someday.

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't like it when you tell a "friend" something in private and then he/she felt the need to blurt it out in public to have a good laugh at the person's expense. I'm sure Jenny didn't mean for David to blurt it out-of-the-blue like that.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

^ Exactly, I immediately thought it was a bit crappy of Dave to reveal that...

19. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Where are you getting this made-up back story from?

20. just wondering

just wondering Member

I think it's okay. . . It's not as if it's a live broadcast. They edit the questions and responses. Plus, based on Dave's comments, Jenny has quite a bit of input in the editing process. They appear to be great friends and if Jenny did not want that segment included, it would not have been included.

AnnMJensen and (deleted member) like this.
  21. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Hmm that's a good point. If it really did bother her, I'm sure they'd edit it out, you're right.

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What was made up? That seems like what happened. Jenny had clearly told David something privately, nothing I can remember ever reading about either in an article or on here. Then David went and blurted it out during the interview. I wouldn't say he was laughing at her expense as that seems more cruel than what he was doing but he certainly seemed to be sharing a secret that Jenny had not let everyone else in on. I'm sure it's no big deal because Jenny would have edited it out or something but I would probably be a little miffed if someone did that without checking with me first, mainly because I know it could make me look bad.

23. Fabrichnova

Fabrichnova Active Member

Jenny edits all their podcasts. If she was offended enough to want it omitted, she would have cut it. End of story.

24. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

how did you know he didn't check with her first?

25. alfongsucks

alfongsucks New Member

I did not see that pewter medal throwing out thing to be a big deal really. I honestly thought it was kinda cool. I am sure it did happen. Didn't Elvis Stoyko do the same thing? I know Svetlana Khorkina threw out one of her olympic medals. Anyway it happened and it is a great story.

Anyway I think that Dave does a great job with the site with the writing and comments. Jenny does the editing. I don't think she was offended by her comments otherwise she would have deleted it. She did not seem upset at all. I personally would much rather watch something real, rather then just polish over everything. Kudos to Jenny and Dave for a healthy dose or reality!

Anyway slam me if you want to , give me those pathetic negative points, I got enough of them and was amused lol.

They have part three of the interview up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6GirFsRkvc

Elaine looks great very cool interview seems well grounded.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Perhaps he did. Jenny apparently does do all the final editing so she would have taken it out, no doubt. A bunch of fuss over nothing. Nothing to see here folks, moving on...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Very true :)

28. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It's not backstory it comes from kirks reaction completely but if she was offended or didn't like it It would have been edited out but her reaction was totally about a secret getting out- to me

29. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Jenny won 2 pewter medals in her career. I wonder which one she chucked?

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I love how real they all are in the interview. I absolutely love with Elaine Zayak, especially after this interview. I hope she's reading this and knows how much fans appreciate her candidness and are wuz-robbing her almost 30 years after 1984.