Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by arakwafan2006, Nov 24, 2013.

1. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Am I the only one who does NOT get this team? I just really dont get them! I find their skating to be sloppy, unrefined, vague and very unattractive in general. What am I missing? Why are they so highly regarded? Why are they ahead of Weaver and Poje?

2. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I really liked their last years free dance...

3. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

So did I. And for me their SD was one of the best of the season. It was a breakout year for them. I thought they improved across the board. I think they're still reaping the benefits of that bronze medal to some extent - like all bronze medalists do - but like all BMs, that wont last beyond this season unless they bring it.

This year they definitely dont look as good, BUT, Zhulin changed BOTH their programs a month before their GP debut. So these programs are about 2 months old. Everyone else had double that time at least to work on their programs. In the case of the FD, he apparently took their old dance, changed the music, and tried to make them skate the same choreography to the different music. How crazy does that sound?!?

I feel kind of sorry for them - just as they were starting to improve their coach pulls the rug out from under them - I still find it hard to believe he did that - I cannot imagine why he would think it's to their benefit.

4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I loved both programs last year, and this year's SD could certainly grow on me. I think the FD is....bizarre and erratic at best, although I still enjoy watching them and their frenetic energy. They are rather the antithesis of cool and controlled in terms of ice dance, and at times, I like both ends of the spectrum. However, I have no freaking clue why Zhulin pulled his program switch sh*t on them this year, and quite effectively took the leaps and bounds that they had progressed last year and shot them, rather like the stupid dying birds of this year's FD. If they continue beyond Olys, I hope they either switch coaches, or that Zhulin takes his work more seriously and stops fecking around with his skaters.

5. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Do you think Zhulin pulled the rug out from under them or do you think he was told by officials in the federation to change the music? Wasn't it TAT last year who made him insert some Tosca into their FD music?

6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

They're ok, but I'm not a big fan and I think they're sometimes overscored. In the SD at Rostelecom they skated so fast they looked kinda out of control, like he was dragging her around the ice or something.

7. reese

reese Well-Known Member

What's odd is that the first version was apparently well-received at the test skate if I'm remembering correctly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fELRKt-_GHo

It was Zhulin who decided, on his own right before the season was to begin, that the program wasn't "Olympic" enough.

The first version was kind of lovely, I thought.

8. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

! I like the original version of the FD. Zhulin, why change a good thing?

I started to warm up B/S more in the last Olympic season, and have been meh about them since, until last season when they made such huge strides and had much better programs than in the past.

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

They still can rarely win a medal without finishing below that medal place in the fd! It's amazing. The team has severe fs weakness. Euros 2013 ,worlds 2013 ,recent gp ,gpf but that was last in the fd. They need to work on their FDs more.

10. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Kurt and Carol Lane didn't like them either. And what was the dog barking business at the beginning? Doubtful there were any dogs in the arena near the sound system so it must have been a part of the music. Why?

11. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I am surprised to not read that anyone else finds their movement to be very sloppy. The material this year to me is not sufficient

12. reese

reese Well-Known Member

It's very sloppy. Her posture, her jagged free leg; they are all over the place on their edges.

13. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

The most overscored team since Grishuk and Platov. And at least they had speed.

It's just a shame that they're being politik'ed up at the sacrifice of amazing teams like Weaver/Poje or Cappellini/Lanotte who have worked very hard to improve and are delivering.

14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Their win in the Rostelecom Cup of Weaver & Poje was absolutely disgusting, and the SD dancing was one of the worst bits of judging this whole quad. I do think they deserved the bronze last year, but others have gotten better and they have gotten worse since then. If we see such a corrupt result at the Games it will be bad news for the future of ice dancing.

Weaver & Poje are probably the most screwed over team in history. I cant think of a team who wuzrobbed ever more times than them, although Drobiazko & Vanagas come close.

15. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

It's a shame because I quite like Ekaterima and Dmitri and think they have potential as well as some of the absolute coolest lifts out there, but I don't want them to win things until they're skating much better than they are. I loved their FD last year and while I think this year's has potential, it's still not up to the same level. I adore them but they need work! :(

16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm surprised so many people like their FD so much last year. I mean it's a million times better than what we have now, but I thought it was sort of ridiculous. I mean if they were Pechelat/Bourzat, then they may have been able to pull off that concept, but they looked like kids playing. I'm also surprised that people keep saying how her posture was so much better last season when it was last season where I noticed her obvious posture problems (to be fair, I only paid attention to them last season). I just don't know how a high-ranking team can get away with such deficiencies in posture, line, and overall sloppiness when many teams below them who execute similar difficulty would never be able to get away with that. I know people make the same arguments against Davis/White, but Davis/White at least has the difficulty, and Meryl's execution and line is way better than Bobrova's.

The original music for this FD is only ok. It's a bit monotonous, but I think the idea of a more mature dance is better than this stupid idea of hounds and hunters chasing two innocent birds. That seems much more immature and less Olympics than what Zhulin originally had. I've never been impressed with Zhulin's artistic depth as a choreographer/coach (especially during the Navka/Kostomorov days when their programs were as generic as generic can be), but this is a new low. I think B/S sort of know their FD is pretty bad. I think people were laughing in the audience after Soloviev's final "caw", and I'm interpreting their knowing look at each other afterwards as a mixture amusement at their current situation at having to interpret something so ridiculous and embarrassment.

This is all a shame anyway because they look like nice people and I think Dmitri is really handsome.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  17. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I cringe whenever I watch them skate. They're an embarrassment to senior ice dance with their terrible posture, flailing, and sloppy execution. So, no, you are not alone.

18. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I do agree that they have things they can work on but I have enjoyed them since their "gay sailor" days. I can understand the reaction to the COR results based on what I have seen on screen but I would also like to hear more from people who were in the arena and or know about the levels that were met and not met by teams.
    Lastly - despite the things they may need to work on, I did like last year's programs and very much enjoyed watching them live at Worlds. Having said that - I was originally very excited when they went to Zhulin since Usova / Zhulin are among my favourites. But I am disappointed with this year's freedance - for a number of reasons and all the shenanigans changing their programs around.

19. rustyskater

rustyskater Member

Yes. I don't get this team. I saw their original free and was astonished to see it later with the same choreography but with different music. Isn't that a dead give-away that choreography won't be in synch with the music but yet they receive monster PCS scores! Technically - I laugh about how bad it is. Their COR scores are so outrageously undeserved that I think I now know what it feels like to be one of those intolerant, delusional VM uber fans who wonder the same thing about DW scores (except DW scores, I know, are legitimately deserved).

20. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

They have speed, but the way they have to skate to get that power is very questionable. I'm not a purist at all in terms of ballet posture or anything but both programs are frantic and manic and they just go as fast as they can and they seem on the verge of crashing half of the time
    the comparisons with Davis/White I don't get...they may have taken the same route of doing everything a 100 miles and hour but they lack the difficulty, intricacy and choreography of the americans, imho (and I hate Zueva's vanilla choreo)
    I think they could well lose their status as Russian champions in a month. What I/K have delivered so far this season is well above anything B/S have put to the plate these past 4 years

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I have not warmed up to them but I have not given up on them either. I find them frantic and rough, but hopefully they will develop. However, I am big on posture on lines so I don't know if I will ever truly like them.

22. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Ditto. I don't think ballet posture is the only posture acceptable for ice dance. It' very upright and exaggerated and can limit movement...and I dance and love ballet by the way. The problem is I can't think of a single form a dance where you can be completely bent at the waist like that, well not any dance that involves partner holds. It's like if speed skaters put on dresses and attempted to ice dance.

If you look at D/Ws program this year, there are almost no crossovers. They're getting their speed from their footwork, even back in the POTO when they were a bit rougher, they still had more precision than these two could ever dream of. I didn't like their skates last year and I knew then what they were being set up for. I really hope post Olympics they fade back into the oblivion, because I much rather watch the Shibs slower Geisha program and be entranced by their silent edges than watch them "dance".

23. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I've always kinda liked them...a lot of my skating enjoyment comes from some intangible quality a skater or team may have that may or may not appeal to another fan. I still can watch some older programs (Romeo and Juliet and the sailor OD for example) and just enjoy it. Will they be one of the great Russian teams? Probably not but that doesn't take away from their accomplishments.

ETA: Having said that, after watching I/K at TEB, I do have to wonder why I/K aren't ahead of them. Maybe they will be, though.

24. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Yup, you are the only person in the whole wide world. Not one person has ever said "I don't get this team" about B&S in the history of mankind.

25. sequins

sequins New Member

Wish I knew. Certainly couldn't be worse than this thing.
    Like many of you I really loved their programs last season so it's very disappointing to see what they've been given this year.

LOL So it's not just me I knew I heard dogs barking the first time I saw this 'thing' but couldn't really hear them at CoC but there they were again in Russia. :dog:Bizarre.

26. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

And here I was thinking that this would be a fan forum... I don't think they deserve all the hate they get, and if they were American, they would be liked a lot more.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

That's not true. Many American teams get tons of hate or at least negativity. See Chock/Bates. I dislike that argument because you can easily turn around and say something like "if they weren't Russian, then they wouldn't be winning medals or even talked about." Even if your argument or the converse is true, it's all supposition.

28. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Well Chock and Bates don't have a hate thread in FSU, so I don't think that's comparable. Right now B/S are getting Chan level hate...

29. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Not sure about if they were American, but I do agree that they don't deserve all the hate they get. You can't blame them for their being overscored, blame the judges.

30. VIETgrlTerifa

That's because Bobrova/Soloviev are getting results. If Chock/Bates were getting the results B/S were getting, then you'd see it too. I remember the aftermath of the Shibs winning the Bronze medal at Worlds 2011. A lot of that negativity and resentment is still felt today in the PBP threads of competitions in which the Shibs are competing. Though, since they are not winning major hardware anymore, it has died down.

Anyway, since you recognize that Chan is also the subject of a lot of negativity, are you saying that it's only the American skaters that are free from it?