Edea Skates anyone?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by babbyrabbit, Aug 29, 2012.

1. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

We have quite a few people at our rinks giving a try to the Italian skates.

Any feedback? Lovers or haters out there??

2. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I tried them on, but didn't like the way they felt/looked.

Sk8Dreams on skatingforums.com wears Edeas. (I'm not sure what her ID is on FSU)
    I think she said the insole doesn't have much cushioning, so she replaced the inserts. Other than that, she likes the skates.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

We have TONS of skaters in them at our rink- all in the Fly Ice model.
    They all love them, though it seems like they would be over-booted in them, as none are working on triples (well, maybe one is?) Which makes me wonder how suitable they are to people who are really working at that highest level if kids with low doubles are finding them to be great skates.

The girl who is doing triples told me they break down sooner than other skates, but are totally worth it because they feel so much better. We had a coach describe them as "comfy as a tennis shoe"

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. gr8sk8101

gr8sk8101 New Member

My daughter skates in Edea Ice Flys. She absolutely loves them! She is working on all of her triples and they seem to last as long as her Grafs did ~ 6-8 months. She skates between 4 - 5 hours each day in the summer and about 4 hours in the winter.

She also describes them as feeling like a tennis shoe. For her, there is really no break-in time to speak of. Day one she is doing programs with all of her jumps.

She is on the small size but I have heard of girls who are bigger and heavier having trouble with them breaking down too quickly. Most of them are switching to the Edea Concerto as they are a stiffer boot.

5. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS Member

The only thing I have heard from top skaters who use them for triples is that they are having issue with the laces coming undone. They are saying that the extra foam in the tongue is causing them to not be able to tighten them down. Otherwise, everyone loves them.

6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

My coach uses them.. loves them. said there was practically no break in time. She does doubles up to double axel.

7. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

My daughter is using them this season. They fit well immediately, but it took her about 2 weeks to get used to the different feel of the boot. She and another skater got them around the same time, and it was almost comical that they couldn't even stroke on the ice without stumbling all over for at least a session or two. Her other boots would get heat molded and she'd take off on them that day. Now, she loves the Edea, but getting used to the boot was tough. The girls said one thing they noticed was that the heel felt higher, but yes, more like a sneaker.

My daughter went through Reidell's every six months, breaking them down before she outgrew them. So far, so good with the Edeas.

8. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I have been using them for years. Best skates I've ever had. Getting a new pair soon, last pair lasted me at least 4 years. I coach only but am on skates 6 days a week for about 20 hours. Brilliant skates.

9. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I don't have Edea, but many elite skaters do (Patric Chan, for example). I was told they are very comfortable. Oh, Stefania Berton wears them as well and she's super happy about them.

10. mathil

mathil Active Member

As of this year's World medalists in singles, four out of six use Edea boots: all of the men (there's a pic of the podium on their official website) and Akiko Suzuki, who started using them only last season and reported on her blog that she's very happy she made the change. I'm pretty sure Narumi Takahashi has them, too.

(oh, and I'm new, hello everyone!)

11. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I'm a little skeptical of using elite skaters as a reason to change just because they're wearing a certain brand. Let's be honest: they're probably receiving freebies, endorsements or other perks from the vendor to try the product and give out positive feedback. If there are any elite skaters who tried the skates and didn't like them, they're not speaking up, probably because of contractual obligations.

Not knocking the skate or the company, just saying that I would put more stock in the non-Elite skaters' experience and feedback than an international competitor.
    They're actually making the investment and can think/speak for themselves with honesty.

J-Ro likes this.
  12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

But they aren't SAYING they like them. They are WEARING them at major events like World's, and winning. That tells me it isn't just them saying they like a boot for a payoff, they like the results they are getting in the boots.

If you are someone like Chan or Takihashi, you can get free boots from ANY manufacturer. You don't have to just go with the one pair that was nice enough to reach out and sponsor you. (From my experience with a much lower ranked elite skater, he wore a brand of boots, and they contacted him to say "want to appear on our website, we'll sponsor you". It wasn't that he was contacted and then started wearing their boots.)

However, I think the needs of elite skaters are so different from the vast majority of skaters that what they wear has little bearing on what is good for others.

And we do hear the "boot problems" all the time from skaters sponsored by boot companies...
    Jeremy Abbott had problems (Reidell?), Alissa Czisny had problems (Jackson - the flex kinds). Another skater just came out with Reidell boot problems. They've all been mouthpieces for their skate brands, but they also say when they don't work (and always have a positive word about how the company is working with them to fix it, of course.)

13. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Ilia Kulik changed to Edea's from Grafs several years ago and just loves them (he also put his daughter Liza who competes at the Juenvile level in Edeas). He said that they do break down a little faster than some other boots but loves them nonetheless. I don't think the argument about elite skaters getting freebies holds because as skittl said in most cases they could get free any brand they want so the brand is really a choice. Also, these folks are REALLY picky about their equipment - they will use what they each think is best for them. Ilia indicated that the weight (or lack of it) with Edea boots gives him potentially, he said, an additional several inches in height off the ice on his jumps. He really was very excited about the new technology in boots and the potential as better and better man-made materials are developed.

All of the above information comes from an in person discussion Ilia had with Krew members after a Disson show taping in Rapid City, South Dakota. It was an interesting discussion.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  14. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they can supposedly come in just one width, yet fit feet of all widths. Even if you do a heat molding process on them, there's just such a big difference in the amount of material needed to fit around a AA foot vs. the amount of material needed to fit around a EE foot. . . So how does that work?

J-Ro likes this.
  15. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Our skate shop sells them but suggested we look at different brands for my specific skater. He said they fit average feet best, even with custom heat molding.

16. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I can't answer that, but I can tell you they were able to mold the boot to fit around my mother's bumps etc on her feet. She has hard to work with feet due to all her years skating.

As for my experiences with them, I like them well enough but think I will probably go back to Klingbeil for my next skate.

J-Ro likes this.
  17. Doubletoe

Wow, your mom skates?! That's awesome!! So what do you like better about the Klingbeils than the Edeas? Aren't Edeas suppsed to be lighter weight? And easy to break in, and comfortable and all that?

18. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

My Edea's had absolutely no break in time which is probably one of the main reasons I like them so much.

19. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Mom roller skated as a kid. Pairs and dance. Then when I was young (seven or so), she started teaching ice while she went back to college to earn a degree. She tried teaching me briefly then, but that did not work. :lol: However, when she retired around the Chicago 2007 AN, I asked her to work with me for freestyle. It's been alot of fun, although I have pulled away from freestyle the past few years for dance. She's close to 70 now, with an ACL that she blew out years ago, but she tries to get out a few times a week. We've both been off the ice for the summer, but with our local rink starting up in a few weeks hopefully we can get out there again.

As for the Klings vs Edea, I'm a rather big girl and I just feel more stable in the Klings. Could be the fact that I don't really like my blades (made a major change at the same time), and not the boots.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  20. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Actually I've heard from many skaters who have very nallow feet (AAA-AAAAA) that the Edeas didn't work for them at all.

21. severina

severina New Member

I have narrow feet - AAA heel and AA ball and we were able to heat mold my edea concertos.

I just switched from Harlick 2 weeks ago and let me tell you, these skates are magical. I am an adult skater (34) who skated as a child and had 2 triple jumps, now I am getting all of my doubles back and on the 2nd day that I was in my edeas my double loops felt flawless. You need to find someone that is used to fitting edea skates in order to get them molded like that - the coach who did mine put them in a box with a hole cut out and put a hair dryer in there. They sat enclosed for about 10 minutes. After that she took them out and squeezed the heel area together. I then put the skates on and tightened them as hard as possible.. then walked around a bit and let them cool down. They've been perfect since I got them.

The material they use is not leather which is why it heat molds so easily - carbon fiber practically melts in your hand when heat is applied so when those hot boots were taken out of the box they took the shape of whatever we wanted to do to them. The inside is a memory foam like tempurpedic - all it needs is your body heat and it forms to your feet.

I feel like I'm skating on air. I've been a harlick skater all my life and I still hold a special place in my heart for them, but these skates are something else.

22. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I used to have Edea and they did not go with me. It was when I was complete beginner, and the boots were just beginner boots (I think Edea Overture). I often had cramps in my feet and had to sit down every half an hour to take them off for a few minutes (now I know that it was because they were too narrow - it cut my blood flow). Things got slowly better (after about a year I could wear them for 2 hours without having to take them off), but I grew a huge bunions. Now I have custom made Klingbeil to accommodate the bunions and regret that I didn't dump the Edea boots earlier. But I was not experienced and I thought that boots are supposed to hurt a bit - I mean, so many people on the forum complains about their boots...

J-Ro likes this.
  23. gr8sk8101

gr8sk8101 New Member

My daughter wears the Edea Ice Fly. The balls of her feet are very wide and her heels are very narrow. She has had problems with other boots slipping in the heel. They are able to widen the toe box and pull in the Achilles Tendon and lower heel so they don't slip. She ends up with a perfect fit.

Additionally, there is no break in time at all. She will do a Novice long program on day one in a new pair of boots.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I prefer them much more to Risport boots.

Much more comfortable and there's no break-in time. I remember being shocked at having no blisters at all when I started skating. Love them. :)

They are also really light.

Do you have very wide feet? Maybe it would have helped you, if you had got them heat moulded at the beginning. Is it hard to find a store that heat moulds boots in the UK?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  25. Doubletoe

Do your feet get hot in them when you skate for awhile? Do they ever feel loose when you're in a warm rink or you've been skating hard and your feet heat up?

Who is it who does this? Edea? Or a regular skate shop?
    How long does a pair of Edeas last her? And how many hours a week does she skate?

26. sk8indel

sk8indel Member

The skates I had before Edeas were either AA/AAA or AAA/AAAA, and Edeas worked fine for me.

27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

My feet are quite wide in the toe area and have very narrow heel. I think the toe area was not fitting well and that's why the foot was very squeezed - the joint under my little toe is now permanently bigger (they made me grow extra bone on that joint).

I am not even sure if the boots were heat mouldable - they were the completely beginners boots, the ones that come with blade attached (blade Mark IV). I think heat moulding might help a little bit (if they were mouldable at all) but it wouldn't completely sort the problem anyway. I don't think you can completely change the width of the boot by heat moulding. I would get a tiny bit of extra space, but I don't think I would get as much as I needed.

28. gr8sk8101

gr8sk8101 New Member

Who is it who does this? Edea? Or a regular skate shop?

How long does a pair of Edeas last her? And how many hours a week does she skate?

I believe any skate shop with experience with Edeas can do it. We typically buy them at competitions from Skates US. Their fitters are very good on site and are able to fit them and mold them on the spot. If they need some minor changes, it can be done right there. I have also sent them back before to have the achilles brought in a bit more.

My daughter skates 20+ hours per week and she gets between 6 -9 months out of a pair. She is on the smaller side so we have not had the bending problem in the ankle.

I hope this helps!

29. Doubletoe

Very informative, thank you! :)

30. severina

severina New Member

They don't seem to feel any hotter than my harlicks. They do feel loose but that's because of the way you lace them at the top. They're not supposed to be tight at the top. The ankles stay firmly in the boot but the tongue is supposed to bend easily. I couldn't believe the whole tying it loose at the top until I tried it. I've always tied my boots very tight at the hooks and it felt strange for a day or so but I got used to it pretty fast.