Edea Ice Fly break down time?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by svfate, Jun 20, 2014.

1. svfate

svfate New Member

Hi Everyone-
    I have a question to those skating in the Edea Ice Fly boots. My daughter recently changed from custom Harlicks to Edea for the lighter weight. She loves them but after only two months the memory foam seems to be compacting already. She has a narrow foot and she is starting to slip around in them as the foam compacts more and more. She only weighs 70 lbs and is working on double axel/ first triple. Do those of you that have narrow feet see this happening? We have heated them and molded the heal in more but she is still slipping around:( Some girls at our rink say they buy new ones every 6 months? Thinking of going back to Harlick if they come out with a true light weight boot, not just a carbon fiber sole on the current leather boot. Thanks for any information! We just don't want to buy new boots every 6 months if she will always be fighting to get them to fit correctly for any amount of time:/

2. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

My skater kid has the next level down from the Ice Fly. She's about 112 lbs (I think? Definitely more than 70 lbs) and does 2A, 3S, 3T, skates 15-19 hours a week. Smallish foot. She got 12 months out of first pair, 18 months out of second pair. Only problem we had was tongue pulled out of second pair, but that was more her fault for not completely untying skates. When she gets a new pair, they are really, really tight--like a cast. It takes about 3-4 weeks for her foot to mold. Maybe your daughter's skates were a bit too big to begin with? I know some kids at our rink with very particular foot issues who can't use Edeas. 2 pair a year isn't unheard of for kids who skate a lot or are bigger.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Ice Fly is rated for quads. It sounds like she was not fitted properly or is tying them wrong, which caused them to break down.

4. svfate

svfate New Member

Hmmm......things to think about! Thanks for the input:) The boots have been fitted twice by two different shops that deal with Edea a lot. Both have said they fit properly. She is tying them correctly per the method Edea recommends. She does have an extremely narrow heal and that is why she has always had the custom boots. Maybe her foot is just better suited to Harlick. Both skate shops we have seen said they believe the problem is the memory foam is compacting extremely fast. She skates about 20-23 hours per week and has been in the boots 2.5 months and they were perfect until this last week. Thanks again for the ideas!

5. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if a teenage girl working on a double Axel had already broken down a boot that is designed for quads and worn by skaters like Ilia Kulik and Max Aaron...

Did you leave them in the sun or is there any way they could have been damaged?

6. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Edea skates are the latest craze, probably because they are silver and sparkly--perfect for appealing to the pre-teen and teen set. It's brilliant marketing by Edea, that's for sure. Sadly, they are way, WAY too stiff for developing skaters. And despite claims to heat molding and all that other stuff that says they will give you a "custom fit," this really isn't the case. The last itself is probably not correct for your daughter. Not every skate brand is for every skater. It seems like going back to Harlick is the better idea. And if she wants silver and sparkly, I'm sure Harlick could add some silvery details to make her look trendy.

7. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

I should add that skate shops are keen to sell Edea because the markup is so much greater for them. The shops make more money on Edea skates than they do on Harlick, hence the emphasis. Same with Jackson. The markup is huge. Shops have greater financial incentive to sell skates mass-produced skates like Edea and Jackson than they do on handmade skates like Harlick, SPTeri, and Klingbeil (even though Klingbeil is sort of in limbo, but you get the idea) so of course they are going to tell you that Edea is better. Yeah--better for THEM but not necessarily better for YOU.

8. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

deleted

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

A skate shop that pushes a brand of skate because it has a higher markup on that brand - not because it's the right skate for the skater - is not a skate shop that I would go to. Unless I had no other choice.

10. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Of course the shops will not tell you what the markup is. I had a conversation with Don Klingbeil before he sold the operation (I think I have one of the last pairs of Klingbeils made in Queens) where he gave me a LOT of this information where he explained the state of the skating boot industry to me and why he found it impossible to compete. He had a superior product at a competitive price yet all things considered, shops would favor the mass-produced boots because of the higher markup. The cost to the consumer would be in the same ballpark but the margin for the shopowner was completely different. A shop owner that I'm friendly with confirmed what he said. Some won't even sell Harlick or SPTeri any more. They will only sell the mass-produced stuff because it's easier and brings a higher margin. It's much easier to put a plastic skate in an oven and call it a "custom fit" when the plastic melts than it is to measure a foot properly for a true custom boot. To be fair, many skaters do perfectly well with the mass-produced boots. Look at Gracie Gold. Edea skates have worked well for her. But like any footwear, they are not going to work for everyone.

11. overedge

Did you read my post? I wasn't commenting on what the different markups were, or whether buyers were aware of them. I was pointing out that a skate shop that tries to get consumers to buy something simply because of the markup is not serving its customers well, and that I would not shop there if I had a choice.

12. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Yes, I did. And many shops--like many other businesses--are simply concerned about the bottom line. And why wouldn't they be? Of course shops are going to push the stuff with the higher markup. No one is in business for a public service. Not even skate shops.

13. overedge

A skate shop serves a relatively small and specialized market. And it's a competitive market in which word of mouth and reputation can travel very fast. If a skate shop is pushing goods on the basis of its own profit and not what's suitable for the customer, word is going to get around, and customers will go elsewhere if they have an alternative. Selling goods strictly on the basis of markup is a foolish short sighted strategy.

14. HeManSkaterDad

HeManSkaterDad Member

I have three skaters (my kids) in Ice Flys, my oldest in his third set. They have been lasting about a year, doing doubles and triples (rumors of an attempted quad yesterday, but I want video proof). My kids are still growing, so it is usually size, not breakdown, that requires a new pair. I spoke to the owner of SkatesUS, who told me Max Aaron has been in his over a year and Gracie Gold over 18 months and they have not broken down.

Our first set broke down the quickest, including the tongue coming out, as mentioned herein. I think the reason was improper tying of the skates, which forced the skater to bend the boot when jumping or getting into a bent-knee position. The design of the IceFlys is that the top several laces need to be loose enough to allow the leg to pivot forward from the ankle, with the calf moving away from the back of the boot and the shin to use the tongue like a leaf spring for support. Many skaters are not accustomed to and do not like that 'looser' feel and insist on the top being too tight (I can appreciate that, as with my bad ankles, I tie my hockey skates as tight as possible at the top). Unfortunately, this does not allow the boot to work the way is was designed and can lead to early breakdown.

On other thing, which you probably do (or should) know. Many shops, even those doing a lot of Edeas, will try to use the traditional skate oven to heat mold IceFlys. That will ruin them. The only way to properly mold them is with a heat gun (or high powered hair dryer). I know I had to 'educate' our skate shop and remind them more than once not to do that with our skates. That can also cause the memory foam inside to lose its resiliency and not 'bounce back.'

15. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I understand leaving them in a hot car can mess them up too. I'm guilty of that, but so far have not had problems with mine - but I don't skate that much any more.

16. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

My daughter has a very narrow heel and the pro shop advised us with staying in her current brand and not moving to Edea. They said they can't get the heel narrow enough for her. We always have an issue with skate compression - the heel starts to slip at the 6 month mark, the proshop puts something under the insert to cup her heel better. I'd suggest going to your proshop and showing them the problem - they may have a workaround
    for you.

Yes, I have also seen girls who break them down at the 6-8 month mark. Part of it is the skater too i'm sure-some are just harder on boots.

17. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

When I was researching Edeas I called up the guy who was listed on the Edea/SkatesUS site as one of only two certified Edea fitters in California. He told me the main criterion he uses for deciding whether or not to sell Edeas to a skater is heel width. He says it's easy to stretch the boots out but there is no reliable way of making the heel narrower so if a skater has a very narrow heel he will put her in a different brand (NOT Edea). FWIW, the Edea/SkatesUS rep at a competition in April told me Gracie Gold had been in her Ice Fly boots for 8 months when she competed at the Olympics this year.

18. svfate

svfate New Member

Thanks for the opinions:) As she loves the boot other than the heal we continue to work with them. It is not a matter of the boot breaking down, it is a matter of the memory foam not staying as firm as when they were new. The heal was heated and formed in more to make it narrower and seems to be holding her heal in place. As the memory foam continues to loose its original shape I am sure we will have to repeat this process. So far so good and most importantly she is happy with them. Thanks!

19. Skatingisfun1

Skatingisfun1 New Member

I just bought a pair of Ice Flies. The fitter said that females that go with Edea, should be in the Ice Fly. Men break them apart, he thinks due to the position of their calf muscles. Men, should be in the Concerto. Concerto is alot stronger and stiffer than the Ice Fly. Females, Concerto is too stiff.

I am 150 pound adult skater, doing singles with combination loops afterwards & trying to get back her axel. I will let you know if/when these Edeas break down.

20. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Hope you like your boots! I would be careful with broad statements like the one from your fitter. We have just moved my dd to Edeas and she is in the Concerto. She is working on triples, but most importantly has a really good knee bend. Knee bend, rather than weight or strength, is what can really break down boots. Ice time is also a factor. We were advised that she would destroy the Ice Flys in a few months, yet another skater at her rink who is about the same size and who is landing triples is in the Ice Flys. That skaters last pair lasted 4 months. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Concertos. They don't have a lot of padding so we have had to make a few adjustments. She has been in them a little over a month. I will report back how long they last.

21. Skatingisfun1

Skatingisfun1 New Member

He probably said, "Most females" . ... but I just typed in a hurry.

22. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Sorry, re reading my post it sounds a bit abrupt, I didn't really mean to. It is interesting that he said the Concertos are stronger. That is what our fitter said as well, yet the Edea website is pretty clear that the Ice Fly is. We'll see how it goes over the next few months. I would love to hear what you think once you have been in them awhile.