1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebola Outbreak in West Africa

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FGRSK8, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

2. Anita18

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It hadn't even started clinical trials; and I wonder how likely it is that it will- it is hundreds of millions of dollars to do them, and with Ebola, the company will never make that money back selling the vaccine; so few people are infected, even in larger outbreaks (fewer than 4,000 people have contracted Ebola since 1976 of wikipedia is correct, with a mortality rate of 62%). Not even to get into the problem of finding populations to test on- Already they have problems getting the people in the outbreak area to accept medical care- will they accept experimental care? And you can't just do one trial; they take years- if there is no ebola outbreak next year, there will be no one to test on... There is probably a reason there hasn't been any sort of human trial so far. It might always be experimental, available only to people with high profile cases or connections to the healthcare industry.

Yes, Ebola has a very high mortality rate- but so many viruses kill SO many more people, it seems like the money these trials would take would be much better spent elsewhere. It is good they are doing this research, but a huge amount of research is done that never makes it to a final product; solely due to cost of clinicals. With this virus, finding people to research on compounds the difficulty of trials.

4. Anita18

Oh I know research and clinical trials are insanely hard and expensive. But given Ebola is such a famous disease for having such relatively rare cases, I do wonder if the companies involved are taking a longer term view of their investment. They would be known as the companies that cured Ebola, and with that might come funding.

I'm not sure of the size of the companies and what kind of funding they already get. But competition for grants is fierce, and having that on your CV is pretty huge.

5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The NY Times is reporting that a patient in NYC is being tested for Ebola, having "Ebola-like symptoms". He is at Mount Sinai Hospital, and had just returned from a trip to West Africa. Obviously, the poor guy is in isolation.

6. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

NA

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  7. Skittl1321

The news is reporting it is unlikely he has Ebola, similar cases have already come up, and those people had malaria or the flu.

But it is good people are getting checked. It isn't contagious until symptomatic, so the quicker a suspected case gets into isolation, the better.

8. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

NA

9. Anita18

From what I've read, once it develops, it's very fast. Although yeah, the very early symptoms are similar to flu. Not mere sniffles, but fever and generally feeling like s**t.

If they've just come from one of the affected African countries, it's a good precaution.

10. once_upon

once_upon Wishing on a star

While some people experience difficulty breathing or a cough, it doesn't appear that sniffles is among the symptoms one would develop:

11. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

NA

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

More importantly, the majority of the outbreaks happened in Sub-Saharan Africa. No company is going to invest in a drug that they won't be then able to sell for hugely inflated prices (because their target market can't afford them). There is a similar problem with malaria.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

16. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

NA

17. Skittl1321

It sounds like their looting the facility is going to guarantee large scale spread in the area!

once_upon likes this.
  18. liv

liv Well-Known Member

So terrible that there is looting going on in this highly dangerous environment. What are they thinking? I just cannot imagine...

Anyway, I'm glad that they (WHO, UN) have decided that it is ethical to try the experimental vaccines in West Africa. I think since it's spreading and since the mortality rate is so high, you just have to give it a shot. I know I would wish to try an experimental drug if my odds of dying were that high...and if I was to die, at least let research gain from it. This is the (unfortunately) perfect human trial, and no matter what the outcome, lots will have been learned.

The vaccine created at the Winnipeg lab is considered the best of the handful of vaccines currently developed (i can't remember the article claiming this, but I read it last week) and Canada is sending a lot of what they have of it. It will be up to those in Africa to decide who gets it.

They said patient zero was a 2 year old child... but where did that child get it from when the rest of the family didn't at the same time? I mean, they died as well, but only after getting it from the child...so what did he eat, touch, that was different from his family?

At the risk of sounding insensitive, this is all so fascinating to me...

19. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Kids will put a lot of random things in their mouth. Ebola is carried by fruit bats, and is found in bat feces apparently, so if the child happened to grab and gnaw on some contaminated item....or grab something and then suck on his/her fingers....there ya go.

The looting of the clinic and taking the patients (and mattresses etc)....talk about worst case scenarios.

20. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

NA

21. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

IceAlisa likes this.
  22. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

If cases don't spike dramatically in West Point that will be another indication it's not easy to contract.

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

25. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

Apparently this virus is mutating very rapidly which makes a vaccine that much harder to develop.

Some doctors are concerned that it could mutate into an airborne strain which would not be good....

26. FGRSK8

Death toll has passed 1900. Some doctors at the scene say this thing is totally out of control.

27. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

3 week incubation period along with that many death toll sounds scary.

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

And nurses in Liberia are on strike because of a lack of protective gear. And the 3rd American to contract the disease worked in a maternity ward so it is not clear how he contracted the virus.

29. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I work in a hospital laboratory in NYC, and we've been bombarded with all sorts of official memos about how to handle specimens from suspected Ebola cases.
    There don't seem to be any extra safety measures in place in emergency rooms, though. I have no explanation for that. You'd think an ebola patient in NYC would be more likely to turn up in an ER than a doctor's office.

30. FGRSK8

From what I have been reading about this particular outbreak, the virus is mutating very quickly in the human host. I just hope this crap doesn't go airborne. This what has me concerned about the doctor from MA who has contacted the virus. Since I am from the Boston area there is quite a bit of coverage of the story and the number one question is how he got it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.