Easy Road Not the Path for Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

2. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

Thanks for posting the article Iceman. I am so happy they have made some changes to her LP. But 90 seconds does not seem like a lot of changes. If she made the trip all the way to toronto and worlds has been delayed why not change the whole LP. There is time to rework her LP. Well, I guess a few changes are better then none.

She does not sound like she will be skating in the GP next year. I will miss her competing. :(

3. reese

reese Well-Known Member

:rofl:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. kppt

kppt New Member

She made the trip to Toronto in December, and the majority of time was spent creating a whole new SP. IMO the time was well spent, as she received good feedback at 4CC.:)

5. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

"Flatt, 18, will conclude her season, and probably skate for the final time representing The Broadmoor and the last time under Broadmoor coach Tom Zakrajsek, when she competes at the world championships next month in Moscow."

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/flatt-115188-debut-routines.html#ixzz1Hq3njLPYQUOTE]

Anybody besides me notice this??? This makes it sound like this year's Worlds is her swan song before heading to Stanford, unless she plans to find another coach/club in California. She talks about skating in 2012 Nationals, but not committing to anything Grand Prix-wise in the fall. Interesting.

6. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

That's actually not such a crazy statement. I can't think of that many that I really love. My other favorite is Kanako's.

7. martyross

martyross Active Member

Uhm, just wondering...why is it the best SP in the world?

8. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Okay, am I the only one who read this:

"Others went with simpler routines, “which is why many of them are not on the world team,” Zakrajsek said, adding Flatt “managed to push forward” in joining national champion Alissa Czisny at worlds."

and said :huh: Who watered down their routines because it wasn't an Olympic year?

Not to mention, Flatt was reigning National Champion and failed to retain her title over Czisny. This quote makes it seem like Rachael moved up in the standings over ladies she hadn't beat before.

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

But she didn't even score her personal best SP score with it. (At least according to Wikipedia.)

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that. Tom Zzzzzz is trying to say Rachael has had a good season? That's she's been pushing the envelope and that's why she's on the World team compared to others (Abbott? Denney/Barrett?) who were also Olympians but failed to make it to Worlds this year? Whatever. That's ridiculous. Her season has been anything but a success results-wise, technically or artistically.

11. martyross

martyross Active Member

Yeah, not that I'm Flatt hater, but whatever he's smoking, it must be really good.

12. stevlin

stevlin Member

Flatt is a great jumper on the ice but her mad arm flapping needs to go. It takes away from the legs and skating. Her "East od Eden" drives me nuts. One part she skates so fast and not to the music. Get a new choreographer, please.

13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

OK. I read the article. I was a little panicked based on posts above that insinuated Rachael was going to retire. But, it sounds like she's going to continue competing - the article states it's the last time she'll compete representing Broadmoor and w/ Tom Z [that's a good thing IMO]

Who should she go to in the Bay area?

14. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Nice article, but taking on an engineering student workload plus skating at her level?? :eek:

15. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

that was a pretty :lol: article!
    :D Um... not for skating fans! The boards pretty much light up with lengthy arguments every time she competes.

16. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Zakrajsek sounds like an American Joanne McLeod.

17. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I'll tell you who watered down their routines: Flatt. This is the only season in her entire senior career that she hasn't attempted a 3/3 combination. So far, we haven't seen a single attempt.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It sounds like she might be switching coaches (which would be a good idea IMHO).

19. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought that was the plan all along. She obviously can't still train in Colorado Springs while going to school at Stanford, so she'll be finding a new coach/training facility there. Very curious who it will be and how much it'll show in her skating.

20. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

That quote caught my eye as well. This is only my speculation, but I am thinking he means Nagasu though I don't know if she has really watered down her routines compared to last year's. I would just think he would feel the most "threatened" by Mirai in terms of competition for Rachel.

21. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

I just read the article online before coming here. Not much has been said that we don't already know, except that she does plan to compete next season (if only at Nats) and get a new coach. Good for her. I've always wondered what her skating would be like under a different coach and different direction. Maybe it'll give her a new perspective. I'm wishing she does well next month at Worlds. Go Rachael!

22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I know that I'm more on the uber side when it comes to Rachael and that most people here aren't really Rachael fans, but one competition should not make this such a bad season for her.

Even though she didn't do well there, she qualified to her first GPF and won two GP medals.
    She still made the World team.
    She placed 4th at 4CC, which really isn't bad, and she set a new personal best in the FS.

That doesn't sound that bad to me.

She has her issues, but so does EVERY skater. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes in her skating when she gets a new coach and [hopefully!] a new choreographer.

23. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Where's FreezinRinkMom? (or something like that). Doesn't she go to every Rachael Flatt practice and competition? It would be interesting to hear her take on her daughter's (I'm sorry, her favorite skater's) SP. Best in the world? Hmmmmm.

24. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Rachael's mother is a molecular biologist, so I don't think she would have the time to attend all of Rachael's practices. But, what is wrong with parents going to every competition their child is in if they can?

25. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Rachael's skating isn't my cup of tea but i commend her for being one tough competitor. If only some of the other american girls had her nerves we would still have 3 spots at World. We need a skater with Rachaels toughness but Mira Nagasu's talent. That's what is holding back US skaters at the moment.

26. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Rachel gets my admiration for changing her lutz and flip take-offs during these 2 years. She used to flutz 4 times in FS, but now she has correct edges on both jumps. I wish the same could be said about so many flutzers and lippers in this world.

27. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I think he meant Jeremy, his former student.

28. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

:confused:Her "nerves" didn't exactly help us out at last year's Worlds...

29. miki88

miki88 New Member

Okay, I think her coach is really taking it too far with the "best short program of the season" thing. :slinkaway

30. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I think you may be right.

And that makes Tom Z a little petty and nasty, IMHO.