Easy please-y appetizers?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skatemommy, Jan 31, 2011.

1. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

If you do have a Costco nearby, they have an amazing spicy artichoke dip.

I like making my own guacamole if avocados are available.

Mash up 2 ripe avocados
    immediately add juice of 2 limes
    dice 2 firm small Roma tomatoes
    crush 2 garlic cloves
    dice 2 small shallots
    1 jalopeno pepper
    salt to taste
    your favorite corn chips

3. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I mentioned cream cheese first, I think, and even I am now tired of it.

How about stuffed mushroom caps? You can make them the night before; they might be a little time consuming, but not difficult at all and you can just reheat them in the oven before you serve them.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Hmmm, just thought of another from a SB party a few years back. Do-it-yourself fajitas.

I stir fried multi-colored peppers with onion and left them on the stove at very low. The night before, I cooked and sliced chicken breasts. I put them in another pan and dumped a jar of salsa in to keep the meat moist. I kept that on warm as well. My guests made their own "fajitas" at their leisure.

5. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Here's an appetizer men really love (women not so much because it gives you terrible onion breath):

Medium slices of quality ham from the deli
    Scallions, peeled but left whole
    Softened cream cheese

Take a slice of ham, spread a good amount of cream cheese onto entire surface, except for the edges, place a whole scallion on the end and roll it inside.

You can then refrigerate the night before and the day of the party right before serving,you can cut into rounds and put them on a plate.

They are really good and quick!

Also, a bowl of hummus, store bought or homemade, surrounded with an assortment of pretzel crisps, tortilla chips, Triscuits, breadsticks, whatever is sturdy enough for dipping.

6. Gypsy

Gypsy Thunder & Lightning!!!

Take a can of water chestnuts (cut to bite size if they are large).
    Put them in a bowl & cover them with soy sauce. Leave about 5 min then drain.
    Then wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Put in a baking dish and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees until bacon is crisp. Drain well.
    You can do this ahead of time and serve them hot (just microwave about 20 to 30 seconds) or cold
    You can also do this with whole cloves of Garlic or shrimp.

Slice a cucumber (medium thick), put a little miracle whip on top and sprinkle with celery seed. (some of my friends put this on a cracker)

Mix 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup mayo, drain & chop one small jar of green olives, 1 cup chopped pecans and mix together. If it seems too thick, add a little of the juice from the green olives. You can also add some chive or chopped green onion if you like. Serve with your favorite cracker

Fresh Green Dip. (great with veggies)
    • 2 cups mayonnaise
    • 2 cups sour cream
    • 1 lemon, juiced
    • 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    Directions:
    In a blender or food processor, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, chives, parsley and garlic. Serve at once

Get some corn beef and/or pastrami sliced medium at the deli, spread softened cream cheese on the slices and wrap around dill pickles and slice (or leave whole if you use baby dills)

We also do the tortilla wraps with cream cheese
    We mix the cream cheese with lots stuff! Just one of these or any combination you want.
    • Chopped Black Olives
    • Chopped Green Olives
    • Chopped, roasted green chili’s or jalapeños (depending on how hot you want it)
    • Chopped sun-dried tomato’s
    • Chopped green onions
    • Chopped fresh chive
    Then just spread on the tortillas, (we use plain or the flavored), roll & slice.

Get some long toothpicks and alternate cheese & apple (or pear) cubes. (use lemon juice so that the fruit doesn’t turn brown)
    When we do this, we also make some with cheese & salami (or pepperoni) cubes.

Best Ever Chicken Wings
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 cup soy sauce
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 small can pineapple juice
    • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon ginger
    • 3 -4 lbs cleaned/drained chicken wings drummies
    Directions:
    Mix all ingredients together.
    Pour over wings.
    Refrigerate overnight. (turning occasionally)
    Arrange wings on foil-lined baking sheets.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
    Great hot or cold

Okay...now I am hungry!!

7. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I've made these without the soy sauce but by pour barbecue sauce or a sauce made from brown sugar and ketchup on before baking. You need to be really careful if you bite down into one right out of the oven. The water chestnuts get really hot inside.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We make chicken wings with just two ingredients: the chicken, and Frank's Red Hot Sauce. It's ideal party food because the timing is very flexible.

Rinse and pat dry chicken wings and drumettes, and place in a baking dish. Douse with Frank's, cover with foil, and bake in a slow oven for an hour or two. Near the end, maybe the last 15 minutes or so, uncover and put back in so juices stick to the chicken. We like them best dry on the outside, but juicy and falling off the bone inside. They can sit in a warm oven for a long time and just get better, and are also good cold.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  9. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

This thread is making me feel so hungry...

10. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

small town girl here...do you use fresh or frozen? Do you cut the wing from the drum yourself or buy them that way? Hubby lived in Buffalo at one point; he lurves wings!

11. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Bummer about the Trader Joes, their mushroom truffle oil pizza is restaurant-quality.

Here's an easy dish that I always get rave reviews on. Not really an appetizer but a super easy side or main:

Chicken pesto pasta

Box of pasta (rigatoni or smaller shells preferred over noodles)
    Jar of pre-made pesto (Buitoni)
    Pre-cooked chicken (either from the deli aisle or a rotisserie chicken you hand shred)
    Chunk of fresh parmesan

Cook the pasta and let it cool. Stir in the pesto, chicken, and shred large curls of parmesan over it. Easy and tasty.

For a healthier crowd, i like these salad pockets

Pita bread, halved
    Ripe avocado
    Mesclun greens
    Hummus
    Lemon

Halve the pitas, schmear with hummus, add mesclun greens and avocado slices sprinkled with lemon, salt and pepper to taste. Elegant, filling, and healthy.

12. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

This goes over huge at any parties I take this to.
    1 pound of fake crab meat
    1 med onion
    1 can of articoch hearts drained well
    1 box of cream cheese (melt it in the microwave so it's soft)
    1 cup of mayo
    1 cup of sour cream
    1 cup of parmesan cheese.
    in a food processor chopped up the crab and articoch. Put in large bowl and stir in the rest of the items. Once they are mixed put in to pie dish or cake pan (or whatever you have). Bake for 1/2 hour at 375. Serve with plain taco chips.

13. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Take thick-sliced pepperoni from the deli and smear it with Wispride cheddar cheese spread. Roll them up and refrigerate until you're ready to serve.

Another similar treat is to take sliced deli ham, spread cream cheese and chives on it, roll it up, slice into 2" pinwheels.

I also make a mean artichoke dip - easy and quick, but you need a round bread to make a bowl to bake it.

My all-time favorite is Brie en Croute', but it might be too frou-frou for a football crowd. Take a sheet of puff pastry (freezer section) and place a wedge of Brie in the center. Add some apricot preserves on top...a 1/4 cup or so. Close it up, seal the edges and brush with egg wash. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-24 minutes until the pastry is cooked.

Serve with plain water crackers.

14. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

delete

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  15. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Make sure the meatballs are the small cocktail sized ones. For another sweet/spicy/tangy combo that tastes a bit like BBQ but has a unique flavor, try this for the sauce: equal parts blueberry jelly (not jam) and Heinz Chili Sauce. Doesn't seem to mix very well when you first pour it in but it all blends together. yum!

16. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Two of my favorites

BBQ Chicken Pitas

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    BBQ Sauce of your choice
    Caramelized Onions
    Pita

Cook the chicken breasts (I cook them in the pressure cooker with chicken broth and salt and pepper)

When the chicken has cooled a little, shred it and then season it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Mix in BBQ sauce

Caramelize onions

Slice the pitas in half, stuff with onions and chicken. Bake in the oven until pita is crisp. Slice into triangles.

Blue Cheese Pinwheels

Mix 1 package of cream cheese with blue cheese (put as much as you like). Season with ground black pepper. I also like to put a tiny bit of Sri Racha in the mix.

Take one package of crescent roll (the best kind is the one that is not perforated). Separate into two rectangles. Spread the mixture over the crescent roll. Roll the crescent roll horizontally and then cut into 1 inch slices. Bake at 350 until the crescents are golden brown.

While the crescents are baking, make the red onion jam to top the pinwheels.

Dice 1/2 of a red onion very small. Sautee with olive oil until transluscent, but not caramelized. Dash the pan with balsamic vinegar and remove from heat. Stir in two spoonfuls of apricot jam and 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme.

Remove pinwheels from oven and top with jam.

Every time I have a party, I make both items and they fly off the table.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We buy fresh from a local meat shop that only sells locally raised organic meat. If they are separated, great, but otherwise we will do it ourselves.

If hubby is from Buffalo, then all you need are a big batch of these with big chunky celery and carrot sticks and a bottle of Kraft blue cheese dressing!

18. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

In addition to an assortment of easy appetizers, I would be sure to have something substantial, like a pot of chili with toppings (corn chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, avacado, green onions). The chili could be made in advance and then placed in a crock pot of low.

One of my neighbors recently had a caterer from a local rib shack do set up with buffet warmers with barbecue ribs and all the sides (probably more costly than doing it yourself). I thought that was a greatl idea. Who wouldn't like that?

All Recipes website has a nice superbowl recipe collection.

I kind of feel like having a superbowl party myself now, with all the wonderful ideas here!

19. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Just wanted to let you know that I made cocktail franks & BBQ in the crockpot, ham pinwheels with cream cheese flavored with a dry dip I bought at the farmer's market this fall, crab/cream cheese/cocktail sauce block with pita chips and lots of chips/salsa/dip and cut up veggies. Most of the stuff I already had in the pantry which saves on shopping time and $. Thank you all again!