Easy please-y appetizers?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skatemommy, Jan 31, 2011.

1. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

My husband has invited who knows how many people over for the Super Bowl. I will be at the ice rink for most of the evening. Looking for easy appetizers that I can make ahead with minimal effort (as I probably won't get to enjoy them :lol:). Drinks too if you have a fave. Many thanks!

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Got a Trader Joe's nearby? :) They have the best frozen appetizers around -- mini egg rolls, little pigs in blankets, all that sort of thing. A co-worker had a party once where the food was all Trader Joe's appetizers, and they were SO good. I could not stop eating. :lol:

3. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Put out a block of cream cheese, cover it with your favorite salsa, surround it with chips and let your company have at it. The hardest thing about this is unwrapping the cream cheese and getting the salsa jar open.

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I was surprised by how good this one was, given that I generally don't like to use prepared "foods" as ingredients. If I'd just seen the recipe without tasting it, I wouldn't have tried it, but it really is very yummy. Also dead easy, it seems very "SuperBowlish" IYKWIM.

Warm Corn and Chive Dip

250 g. jar corn relish
    300 g. carton sour cream
    few drops of Tabasco sauce
    2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives (or very finely chopped green onion)
    1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients in pan, stir over heat until heated through; do not boil. (Can also microwave to heat through.) Serve with corn chips.
    Makes 2 cups.

Dip can be prepared 1 day ahead, stored covered in refrigerator.

5. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Take a bag of frozen meatballs put them in a crock pot with a jar of salsa and a can of cranberry sauce....very easy! Also cocktail franks with bbq sauce. Salsa and chips, cheese crackers & pepperoni ect... you could also buy deli meats and cheese and rolls for sandwiches.

6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Here's another easy & delicious one -- we usually reserve this for Christmas because of the red & green colours, but no reason you can't make it any other time. (You can say the green is for Green Bay and, um, there's a bit of red in the Steelers logo, isn't there?)

Cranberry Pinwheels

1 pkg (170 g) dried cranberries
    1 tub (250 g) spreadable cream cheese, room temp.
    1 cup (250 g) crumbled feta cheese
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    4 large flour tortillas (pref. spinach/green)

Mix all ingredients except the tortillas. Spread 1/4 of the mix on a tortilla; wrap tightly jelly-roll style. Repeat with other 3. Wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 2 days (can also freeze). Slice into 1/2 inch rounds to serve. They're very rich so don't make them too big.

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

8. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Roast Chickpeas

Basically you just drain two cans of chickpeas (drain them), toss them in your favorite spices (garlic salt; or cinnamon & honey are two possibilities) w/a little olive oil, spread them out on a cookie sheet, and roast them in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes (you'll want to open and stir them around every 15 minutes or so, so that they don't burn). Serve them cool .. so you can do this the night before.

Because you're picking your favorite spices, you can say this is your own recipe. It's like putting out a bowl of salted peanuts, but will seem fancier.

skaternum and (deleted member) like this.
  9. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

mini croissants... super easy.
    You buy circular pre-made pastry, put cheese and ham into the mixer, spread the resulting crumbs all over the pastry, cut into 16 (pizza slice style), and roll each piece starting from the outside.
    Paint with milk, 10 minutes in oven. Done.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

Bruschetta: Slice some French or country bread. Add store-bought bruschetta toppings (or chunky tomato/pasta sauce if you're cheap). Add cheese. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or so until crust is golden and cheese is sizzling.

11. skatemommy

Thanks, keep them coming! For the record I do NOT have a Trader Joe's or Just Good Foods within driving distance. It's like a field trip for me :)

12. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

one of my favs... can of salmon, green onions and cream cheese. Basically let the cream cheese sit at room temp until soft. Mix in a can of salmon (easier with the already deboned kind) and some green onion. Form into a ball on a plate. Serve with whatever crackers. It is really good!!!

13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Do you have a Costco? They also have great frozen appetizers.

Some other super easy options:

- Broiled kielbasa - slice up a few kielbasas on a diagonal into bite-sized pieces, roast in 375 degree oven until browned, and serve with toothpicks and mustard for dipping (sausage also works)

- Shrimp cocktail - fill large bowl with crushed ice, place small bowl in center, defrost frozen pre-cooked shrimp and put around bowl in center, squeeze fresh lemon juice over shrimp, fill bowl with cocktail sauce (you can make your own - ketchup, horseradish, tabasco, salt and pepper - or buy)

- Cheese and pate plate, or cheese and pepperoni plate - buy several different types of cheese - soft goat, maybe a brie, a blue, and perhaps some type of sharp hard cheese - and put on a platter with some pate or hand-slice pepperoni - serve with crackers or sliced french bread

- Pasta salad - cook up 2 pounds of farfalle, toss with 8 oz of pesto sauce + a bit of extra olive oil if necessary, add 8 oz crumbled feta cheese and sliced sun dried tomatoes, finish with the juice of one lemon and salt & pepper (this you can make ahead)

14. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

OMG, this sounds so good!

15. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to pop corns, potato chips, corn chips, salsa?

16. Auntie

Auntie New Member

I'm an okay cook and I've tried to make these three times. The results have been mealy or hard as rocks. :(

17. skatemommy

^That would be my husband's menu of choice! However, these are my neighbors and I want to offer some things a little more substantial as with the half time show and commercials it makes for a loooong football game.

No Costco either...sadly only Sam's Club.

18. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Shrimp Cocktail Dip

1/2 cup Cocktail Sauce (ketchup, horseradish, lemon, and hot sauce to taste)
    8 oz shrimp
    1 block cream cheese

Puree together till smooth.
    Serve with celery sticks, green and/or red pepper sticks, and your choice of pretzel, pumpernickel (really good) or multigrain sticks.

It goes REALLY fast at our house and might be a nice compliment to the salmon.

One other thing I've served successfully at a superbowl party is hot chili and Tostito's scoops. It's no messier than serving chips and salsa.

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I've never had it with salsa but we always do this was pepper jelly. Delicious!! I think the salsa would be good but the jelly is sweeter but still has the kick from the peppers. Yummy!

20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

There we go; we just doubled skatemommy's options with no effort.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Why make more hassle for yourself then simply buying several bags of different chips and several jars of salsa ? That way you can put all your energy into making a great tablescape for the guys to enjoy. Go Team! :)

22. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

This is an easy recipe that people have really liked every time I've used it.

1 Pkg. big flour tortillas (I usually use 8 or so)
    2 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, room temp.
    1 pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix
    three finely grated carrots (They just add color; you really can't taste them.
    small bunch green onions, chopped (use less if you prefer)

Mix cream cheese and dressing mix. Add and mix in the other ingredients and spread on the tortillas. Roll up and refrigerate overnight. Slice into pinwheels.

I like these much better than the frozen pinwheels you can buy at places like Sam's. I haven't figured out yet how to make them without wasting the ends of every rolled up tortilla. So I just eat them!

To make a light, sweet snack, spread softened butter or margarine on flour tortillas. Sprinkle with a cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cut into wedges. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 until they begin to brown. If they're not crisp enough, bake a bit longer. They're really good with fresh fruit or by themselves. Just sweet enough.

23. skatemommy

Well, I didn't actually invite REX :p but I know he would bring a dish to pass rather than expect to get fed while I am teaching group lessons! ;)

ETA - yes I will probably double up the the cream cheese recipes as I will be leaving before the party starts and can just put it out cold on the table with condiments on top. I have left dips in the fridge before and my husband forgot to take them out. Next year when the Detroit Lions are in the Super Bowl, I will take the night off from skating :)

24. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I brown some hamburger, mix it with Tostitos cheese salsa dip and serve with chips. It is ususally gone before the first quarter so make sure you have plenty.
    My family also loves cheese and crackers. 7 layer taco bean dip (more work)

25. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Another variation:

Tortillas, cream cheese, ham or turkey or salmon salad.

soften cream cheese spread it on the tortillas, cover with ham or turkey or whatever you like, add lettuce leaves, roll up like a jelly roll, cut into pieces.

26. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

One of my students made this for a class and everyone wolfed it down.

Spread softened cream cheese in the bottom on a glass baking dish (one or two packages, depending on size of pan).

Pour canned no-bean chili on top (one or two cans)

Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese (one or two cups).

Zap in the microwave until it's hot (2-3 minutes for small batch; up to five for large).

Serve with Fritos Scoops (the chips need to be kind of sturdy).

Some people add a layer of salsa. Others add the shredded cheese after heating.

27. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

One of my family's favourites is Spinach Dip & Pumpernickel.

2 round loaves of pumpernickel bread
    1 500g container sour cream
    1 pkg dried vegetable soup mix
    1 to 11/2 c. finely chopped fresh spinach leaves.

The night before, combine the sour cream, soup mix & chopped spinach.
    Day of: slice top off one loaf. Hollow it out (keep pieces as big as you can for chopping into bite size dipping pieces later) & fill with the sour cream mixture. Put the sliced top back on as a lid. Slice the hollowed out pieces and the second loaf of bread into bite size pieces for dipping.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. znachki

znachki Active Member

Originally Posted by BigB08822
    I've never had it with salsa but we always do this was pepper jelly. Delicious!! I think the salsa would be good but the jelly is sweeter but still has the kick from the peppers. Yummy!

Got another one. (which is a variation on the shrimp dip as well)

Block of cream cheese, cocktail sauce over the top, sprinkled with shrimp. Serve w/crackers.

29. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

What did people do before there were blocks of cream cheese? :lol:

30. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I saw this thread and was about to recommend this very thing! It's as easy as it gets, delicious and people really love it. I usually serve it with Wheat Thins.