East German Pairs ?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lulu, Jan 5, 2013.

1. lulu

lulu New Member

Between 1970 and 1980, the pairs medal podium at Worlds was dominated by three countries: the USSR, GDR and the USA.

I'm not sure about anyone else, because while I'm familiar with Rodnina and partners and with Babilonia & Gardner, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes the East German pairs. Yet, from 1970 to 1980, a GDR pair made the medal podium at Worlds 8 times. In 1972 & 1976, Manuela Gross & Uwe Kagelmann won bronze medals at the Olympics. In 1980, another Manuela & Uwe (Mager & Bewersdorf) won the bronze medal at the Lake Placid games. In 1982, Sabine Baesz & Tassilo Thierbach became the only GDR pair to stand atop the medal podium at Worlds.

For those who are more familiar with the East German pairs, what are your assessment of the top pairs of the era?

Gross & Kagelmann 1976 LP

Baesz & Thierbach 1982 Euros LP

Mager & Bewersdorf 1980 LP

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Four throw jumps in one LP :eek: Too bad they didn't have better music and choreography, but it was the 80s.

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Lots of content. But wow, they were boring. There was no connection to each other or the music at all.

4. lulu

lulu New Member

I know, I know. :eek: The original broadcast misidentifies them as being from the USSR as well. :lol:

Some more videos.
    Baess & Thierbach 1983 Worlds FS
    1984 SP
    1984 LP

5. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

It seems Germany never produced a pair to challenge Rodnina & Zaitsev in the 70s despite always having top 3 pairs. What did they lack, technical ability, artistry, politics, consistency, or just nothing that set them apart in comparision to Rodnina and her partners.