Earthquake in Canada

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

2. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I just heard about this. It's being felt for MILES (and miles!). Our building in Lyndhurst (northern), New Jersey was evacuated, because they felt it. Wow! Hope everyone is ok.

3. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I felt it- no damage or anything here that I can tell, but the house certainly shook!

4. Civic

Civic New Member

I didn't realize the Ottawa area was on a fault line. I hope all of our Canadian FSU posters are okay.

5. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

6. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Judging by facebook, my friends in Syracuse, NY seem to have felt it.

7. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I was on a teleconference with co-workers who are located in Toronto (I am east coast) and they told us in the middle of the teleconference 'I think we are having an earthquake.' I almost couldn't believe it. I said 'Are you SERIOUS??' :eek:

They were okay. Nothing fell off the walls or anything. It was mild where they were. Phew!

8. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

According to the NJ news it was felt all the way in Hackensack, which means the Ice House must have been sha-ha-haking. I wonder what that feels like, skating on earthquake ice?

9. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I live in Ottawa and it was definitely a loud and m-o-v-i-n-g experience!!

The last one near this magnitude that we had was back in 1998.

I was working on my laptop as it arrived, lasted (and lasted), and then finished. My cat was beside me, lying quietly, but got up and disappeared to the safety of an upstairs closet immediately. He's just come out again!

I went outside and compared notes with neighbours but by that time it was actually over. Only one framed print fell off my wall although several other items were askew. Only some minor property damage being reported so far.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Glad to know all are okay. At least it's not Montreal, where the land isn't as stable.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

we felt it here in WNY along the PA border. But just barely.

12. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

It was felt in Lake Placid. I got an e-mail about 2 minutes after it happened. She asked whether there had been an earthquake since everything really shook...hard.

13. MLIS

MLIS Active Member

I'm in Ottawa and have never experienced anything like that! A good thirty seconds of shaking, and it was scary! I was at work in Gatineau and they evacuated our building right away, and after we stood around in the parking lot for an hour they let people back in floor by floor to get their stuff, then sent us home. Traffic is snarled everywhere, but there doesn't seem to be much damage.

14. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Short but sweet here in Kingston. Felt like a combination of shaking and swaying to me.

15. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I'm Southwestern Ontario and did not feel a thing. Apparently, it was felt in Windsor west of here. I don't quite understand that.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I'm on the northern shore of the Ohio River near Pittsburgh. We felt shaking here too.
    The fault must go south through the US. Nothing feel off the walls, but I was on the couch and it was shaking and my dog started to howl because it scared her.

17. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Wow, glad all here are ok, hopefully all of our Canadian fsu'ers are ok. That's amazing how widespread it was felt.

18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Hope everyone is ok - good to hear from our FSUers in the area.

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

AT first I was so focused on the footie I did not even notice the ground was moving! Then someone yelled "did you feel that?!". LOL :shuffle:

20. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Felt it in Buffalo! I was asleep but a rattling noise woke me up — pictures on the wall, I think. My apartment complex has been doing work on the sidewalks so I thought it was someone using a jackhammer very violently. :lol:

There was one in Ohio that happened when I was skating. Didn't feel that one.

21. canadianskater

canadianskater New Member

I also live in Ottawa and felt it. The second I felt it, I just screamed and ran out of the building. It was actually pretty scary!

22. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I live in the states in Ohio and we had an earthquake today around 2pm. :scream:

23. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I work in Bergen County, and I didn't feel it. What time did it occur eastern time?

24. Megi

Megi Well-Known Member

We felt it at the office as well. No damages or anything, though. :)

25. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

Other people on the main floor of my building at work felt it and saw their computers shake, but I felt nothing just down the hall where I was.

26. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

I didn't feel anything at all. I was too busy filling papers at work.

27. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Yeah, that's the weird thing. Someone upthread said she felt it in Lyndhurst, but I talked to someone in Secaucus and he said he didn't feel it. They also felt it out in Morristown and parts of Brooklyn. I didn't feel it in Manhattan.

It was about 1:30, I think.

28. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I live in Cleveland, Ohio. The earth did not move for me. Others felt it and were talking about it though.

29. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I didn't feel it in the Albany area.

30. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Some other folks here in Cincinnati felt some shaking this afternoon but I was riding in a car at the time and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. I'm glad everyone seems to be all right! :)