Early music and choreographer suggestions for Olympic programs

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marco, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

If Yuna does not use Firebird, I want Ashley to use it. [I have an eerie feeling that one of them will use Carmen :scream:] I doubt either will switch choreographers next year.

I am happy if Mao and Carolina recycle their program from this season, especially Carolina who only used Bolero for half a season. Frankly I think I am going to enjoy whatever program Kostner comes up with anyway. Lori Nichol has only given her masterpieces lately so I am happy for this pairing.

I don't have any preference for Mao but would strongly advise against anything heavy. Sandra Bezic or Lee Ann Miller may produce some good old school programs for her. Please only let TAT do a short program (if that).

I think Akiko and Mozart will go well together and I have loved what Camerlengo did with her so I think I am going to be happy no matter what.

Gracie and Li Zijun should try out with Tom Dickson or Jeff Buttle and Murakami with Sarah Kawahara.

I love Osmond's programs. Who did them?

No more Morosov or Nichol (except for Kostner) programs please.

2. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

i want to see osmond do tosca for her long. i think she can pull it off.

3. misskarne

misskarne #408

Well, if we're talking general Olympic-season programs, I'm looking forward to seeing Gachinski's "Anna Karenina" LP.

And while I'm not normally a fan of repeating programs, please let Brown keep Liebestraume.

4. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

At first I thought this was about suggesting Early Music for people to skate to. I wish it was!

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  5. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

I am willing to bet money that Zoueva is going to pick a Romeo and Juliette type of program for V/M. ;) and that it will snow next winter.

6. michaelfsfan

michaelfsfan Princess Glee (TM)

I'd like Evan Lysacek to use this song for his SP. :saint:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  8. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I want anyone who can do justice to it to skate to Roslin & Adama.

Which will not happen, because nobody will probably skate to it. But I can keep making up my own routines in my head...

9. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

I can just see Daisuke having a wonderful skate to this music. He could carry off the strength of the music. Few others could.

10. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Ugh please no more Carmen! And I'd wish for no more from the Burlesque soundtrack either, for some bizarre reason that seemed to be popular this season.

I don't necessarily have skaters in mind for all of these but a couple of music selections:

Shostakovich's Festive overture- I've been wanting someone to skate to this since playing it in high school band. It would be challenging and some arrangements of it are too fast, but I keep hoping....

Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony- i think this could work well for a pair, maybe V/T?

Certain selections from the Finding Neverland soundtrack that I have stitched together in my head. ;) I desperately want Sotnikova to get better programs next year so she's the first to pop in my head, but this would work for a number of the younger ladies I think.

11. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I've been playing that game re: choreographers... though shouldn't it be in the Trash Can?
    Takahashi- LP- Kenji Miyamoto;
    Brown- should stick with Ward, though I would not mind him going elsewhere for the SP ( Lambiel, Wilson, Dickson?)
    I'd love for Farris to go to Buttle for the LP. I think it would be a great match. SP- he coulf do himself with Allen.
    Gold- go to Lori N.
    Abbott- do LP on his own, for SP... I would try Miyamoto or Buttle.
    Wagner- I'd love her to go to Dickson for one of the programs. She's mature and exprerienced enough to do it.
    Mirai- Dickson one program, Camerlengo another ( to see what they can bring out of her).
    Patrick will probably keep the SP. For LP, I would ot mind him going back to Nichol; comfort zone will be important for him in the Olympic year.
    Adelina is likely to stay with TAT; so does Mao.
    What great choreographers am I missing?

Some people are so set, that seems changes would not be happening.
    Carolina and Denis will stay with Lori, and it's a great match.

12. dots

dots Well-Known Member

LMAO :2faced:

That's a fantastic choice. I love BG's music.

I always imagine "Prelude To War" as a great SP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcUwUwjLrs

13. dots

dots Well-Known Member

14. Proustable

Proustable New Member

For who, though. That is such an intense piece of music. I love it, though.

15. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I am not sure about Denis - he worked with Lambiel on his 2010/2011 SP, the next season Denis wanted to work with him again, but didn't get a visa in time, then this last season Lambiel did his exhibition number, and also helped polish his SP and LP/FS. Recently Lambiel said that he is going to work with three skaters on their choreo after this season. I imagine that one of them could be Ten. Of course, it can be just for another exhibition, but a competition program is also possible. I doubt that other high level skaters would try out a completely new and comparatively inexperienced choreographer for the Olympic season, probably except for a gala program.

16. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

To go slightly off topic, whatever happened to Peter Tchernyshev and Brayden Overett as choreographers?? Both seemed destined to be the next big "it" person, but really haven't heard their names for awhile.

17. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Me, too, actually, or an LP (probably better as an SP though), but yeah, the skater would need to be super intense and, IMO, have big jumps to pull it off. So maybe Chan on a very good day, or Takahashi again, or Kostner. Kostner might be the best, actually, I could see her doing justice to it.

I have to admit, I always pictured a female figure skater (okay, I always pictured Sasha, let's be honest) doing Roslin & Adama with a gorgeous circular foot sequence when the guitar comes in at the end and some kind of jump - a stag jump, split falling leaf, or russian split - at the climax of the big crescendo in there, but the idea of Takahashi intrigues me as well. Czisny could probably do a lovely performance to it but I'd prefer someone I could watch without having a nervous breakdown :lol:

18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Tchernyshev choreographs for K/S.

19. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I hope you are right! We have not seen much of Stephane's work yet, and I'd love to see more.
    Also, does Salome Brunner work with anybody these days?

20. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

... and skates in Russian shows and probably lives quite a high society life being married to Russian actress Anastasia Zavorotnyuk. I have not heard what they are up to recently, though.

21. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

after this season, idts. tessa and scott even said it themselves they are not going to go for a mahler-like program

however, i wouldnt be surprise if zoueva lets D/W skate to les miserables next season

22. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I hope skaters and choreographers are reading this thread.

I would die if someone skated to Arturo Marquez:

Conga del Fuego: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5mutfzl6qg

Danzon No. 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5mutfzl6qg

He's a wonderful Mexican composer, and gives that "Latin" flair without being Carmen, Espana Cani, Aranjuez, or the now overused Galicia Flamenco.

Listen, I think you'll like it. It'll work for dance and singles.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Meryl needs to skate to Pocahontas.

24. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

part of me wants tessa and scott to dance to firebird because like phoenixes rising from the ashes they will win gold in sochi ;)

eta:
    totally! i wonder what culturally appropriative accessory she can wear this time ;) :lol:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  25. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

I have always thought that they should do a Lord of the Rings program because she has such an elfin face.

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Agree about Carmen, but PLEASE.........No Rach for V&T. It's a guarantee for a silver medal, not gold.

27. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

IMO Les Mis music really suits D&W.

My most favorite V&M program was their Mahler program. I did not care for Funny face at all.

28. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I'm listening to "Prelude to War" right now, and I agree with those who have suggested Kostner and Takahashi. Some moments in the music seem perfect for Kostner, while others for Takahashi.

I can just imagine Takahashi's passionate footwork with a lot of the piece.

29. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

:( I hope Virtue and Moir go for a romantic or mahler program, imo that's the best way to win back their OGM. They pull it off in a way that no one else can. I love Carmen, but I think that kind of program is really challenging to fit into COP, hence some losses (I don't think they deserved the losses necessarily, but that's a whole other story) this year.

I'm torn between hoping Ashley sticks with what she knows (Mills) or goes to a different choreographer. I believe he's basically her main coach so I can't see her ditching him as choreographer. They've worked well together although I think she would be better with someone else as choreographer. Then again, she wouldn't get the constant input on choreography from Mills which allows her programs to evolve over the season. The jury is out.

Finally, I hope Duhamel/Radford go for something like their LP from the year before this one. I really did not like this years LP, I think it was the music but I really don't think it did much for them imo. Even with clean performances they couldn't shine the way they did in the previous LP.

30. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Here's Surpass for Max Aron! The intense and powerful music will suit his power skating.