E-Reader advice wanted

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Capella, May 5, 2012.

1. Capella

Capella Guest

My mom wants an e-reader, and with Mother's Day just around the corner, this is the perfect time. Our local library does e-lending of books, which makes much more sense for my mom since she's not the kind of person to re-read anything. (I know some can store 3,000 books or whatever, but that's not something we care about, since she'll probably be more of a "read and delete" user.)

I am pretty clueless when it comes to them, so am turning to the wise FSU community for advice. Here are some things to keep in mind:

Mom is legally blind, so she really needs a super-clear reader. The Large Print Editions of regular books are ok for her, and she can make her way around a laptop if it's at 800x600 resolution. I'm assuming her need for large text would mean more "page" turning on an e-reader, so it would need to be easy to do.

The e-reader will just be used for reading. No interest in something like an iPad that can do all kinds of other stuff. That's what she has a laptop for. The e-reader will just take the place of a library book.

Since she'd be holding it in her hand rather than having it propped up on something, I guess the lighter weight the better.

From the ones we saw in Target, she liked the look of the "matte" glass rather than the shiny (gorilla?) glass. Target didn't have a lot on display, but from our quick pass down that aisle, the Nook ones all seemed to have the shiny glass. The Kindle looked matte. I hadn't heard of the other brands they had, but they seemed very heavy (although the security clamp may have skewed this).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :cool:

2. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I would recommend the Nook Simple Touch. It's very light and is a touch screen so it's very easy to turn the pages. It also has the matte screen she likes. She can try one out at any Barnes and Noble. They also have free classes if she needs help figuring out how to use it.

3. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

In general, e-ink readers will have a matte screen; tablets with e-reading abilities with have shiny screens.

The Nook Simple Touch is a great choice and the new one comes with a light so she can read better at night and in low light (e-ink readers do not have backlit screens); the one caveat I would have to that is that borrowing library books is easier with a Kindle, as the books are delivered directly to the device while library books have to be sideloaded to any Nook. Sideloading is not difficult, but it takes a little more effort.

In general, the Simple Touch gets slightly better reviews than the Kindle and is recommended more often, but the devices are very similar and your mother will probably be happy with either one.

E-ink does not come in color; that usually doesn't matter much to people who read just books, but it's something to be aware of.

Also, Target no longer carries the Kindle in their stores; they severed their relationship with Amazon just a couple of days ago. Best Buy usually has both devices and sometimes a couple of others.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

5. Prancer

I doubt if Microsoft will do anything at all with the e-ink readers; they aren't interested. Their focus is on tablets. MS and the CEO of B&N have both said that the Nook will not be getting a Windows operating system, although I have to say that I would be willing to get a new Nook if it did, provided that the operating system is as good as a Windows phone system.

My husband says that the buzz in the industry is that the new Windows is :kickass. Who knows? But I wouldn't be put off at all by Microsoft.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Why not give buying her a tablet instead some thought? There are lots of cheap ones out there right now. Being an Apple fan I can't help but mention that you could get a refurbished iPad2 3G 64 GB for $350. Or at least that is what I was told mine would sell for a couple months ago if I had sold it when the iPad 3 came out. LOL

7. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

This may be a little off subject but does have to do with e-books. A couple of years ago, I bought an e-book from Amazon.com and received a free Kindle app to download for my laptop.

Afterwards, I found a website that has around 38,000 free e-books. Several of the e-books could be downloaded for the Kindle app.

http://www.gutenberg.org/

I believe this was posted about once before, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of other websites with free e-books.

8. Prancer

Gutenberg has books for just about any e-reader. Some other sites with free books:

http://www.free-ebooks.net/
    http://manybooks.net/
    http://www.openculture.com/free_ebooks
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/

Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble have free e-books you can download.

Free Kindle books: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2245146011

Free Nook books: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379003078

If you have a Nook, you can also read free books from the Kobo store, Smashwords, and Google Books. Kindle isn't compatible with any of those, however.

There are also search engines just for finding free ebooks; this is one of them: http://www.justfreebooks.info/

Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Another vote here for the Nook Simple Touch. I love it. I got it because I wanted a book gadget that was only a book gadget and nothing else. No Angry Birds, no nuttin. Just books. The e-ink is SO easy on my eyes.

10. Capella

Capella Guest

You all are wonderful! :cheer2: Thank you so much! :cheer:

11. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

12. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I love my nook, I got my mom a nook, and she loves hers too (she also loves that Barnes and Noble gives out a free ebook every Friday). Also, I noticed that B&N is running a mothers day sale for 20 dollars off the simple touch plus a free gift bag.

13. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

One more vote for the Nook Simple Touch, I really enjoy mine. An e-reader is a great choice for a gift for someone with vision problems as any book can be in very large print (save for some wonky free ones in certain formats). I've also tried the similar Kindle and it's also easy to use, but I think you and she will like the availabilty of in-person help at any B&N store when you need it. Also, you can feel good about supporting a bookstore when you buy a Nook. Either way, I hope she loves it!

14. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Sweet! Thanks for the links, (((Prancer)))!

15. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

This is cool! Thanks for the link!

16. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Has she tried reading on them? Make sure she tries them all before you purchase.

My mother is also legally blind. We went to test run e-readers and she could not easily read on any of them as the print could not be made large enough. She was able to read on an iPad2 and it had a lot of other apps and adaptations that would be very useful to her.

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

hey all, I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes for some advice - my mom has requested a new Kindle for her birthday. She's got a Kindle, and I believe she'd like the same brand, because that's how she is, but the most important feature she wants is whatever the backlight thingie is, so she can read in the dark. She had no power for days after Hurricane Sandy and could not read once the sun went down, which bummed her out considerably. I'm thinking Kindle Fire, but the site I went to doesn't mention this feature specifically. Is it just standard now for all e-readers?

Obviously, I don't have any sort of e-reader :shuffle:

As an aside, while searching for this thread, I found no less than 4 previous threads with the same title: "Kindle or Nook?" :lol:

18. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

The kindle fire is backlit, but if she&#8217;s just looking for an e-reader and has no need for web surfing, games, etc, Kindle Paperwhite is also backlit, and cheaper.

19. Prancer

She probably wants a Kindle Paperwhite. The Kindle Fire is a tablet and the battery life is fairly short; the Kindle Paperwhite is an ereader and the battery will last a long time, even with the light.

ETA: Great minds, Reuven. :lol:

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Prancer and Reuven, two minds with but a single thought! :lol:

21. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Not yet. Three ereaders have this: B&N Nook Glowlight, Amazon Paperwhite, Kobo Glo.

Amazon and Kobo only released their models a few months ago, it's a relatively new feature in ereaders. As mentioned, a tablet would be another option but they don't have e-ink screens.

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You should visit your local B&N and Best Buy to test out the Nook Reader and the Kindle Paperwhite, respectively.

I think the Kindle Paperwhite look quite good. The text appears nicely crisp against a muted white background that doesn't strain the eyes.

I have an unlighted Nook Reader from last year that still function quite well. The new lighted Nook looks good too, but I've read many complaints on the B&N site about a burn out hole that starts from the middle of the nook after a few weeks of owning it.

23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

thanks y'all! present ordered! :cool:

(orbitz, I would have rather bought one in person, but none of the stores near me have them in stock, so I'm just going for it)

24. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

happy mom.... nice kid