DWTS All Stars - The Semifinal

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by pixie cut, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Apolo :wuzrobbed I soooo wanted him to win again. He was the best dancer this season, IMO. Maybe it's for the best that he's not in the finals just so he can do a beautiful dance and have the judges crap on it. All season long, he's been dinged for every microscopic flaw and damned with faint praise at best while others have skated by. I can't express how unpleasant the judges and producers made it to watch his beautiful pairing with Karina. And every time he said they were going to work harder that week to improve - and they almost always lived up to the hype for me - that was almost like he was giving credibility to their assertions that he wasn't that good. I feel like his modesty, maturity, and hard work ethic worked against him, and it stressed Karina out. Karina never gets to coast like the other pros. They only let her win with JR Martinez because he was a war veteran (if they knew he would turn out to be a good dancer, he probably would've had another partner), and even then they would give freaking Rob Khardashian higher scores.

If Apolo and Karina had been given their due credit from the beginning, I feel like the whole season would've been different. They'd have played off that energy and relaxed more (the dancing was never the issue).

Been waiting 6 years to see Emmit eliminated from DWTS... finally!

As disappointed as I am, an all-girl final is pretty cool. :) I'm really happy for Kelly. I honestly thought she would have been voted out first this season! Get it girl! While not as good a dancer as Apolo, she too has been undervalued all season. Her freestyle with Alec is one of my all time favorites, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do, which hopefully won't involve rolling around in a bed. Really disappointed they didn't do Argentine Tango this season though! I would love a paso, flamenco, tango inspired freestyle... surprise the judges by really dancing which is what she did in S1. Or she could do swing... I really liked her and Val in the marathon.

I did not think Melissa was going to have the votes to stay. :D I would love to see her win because she really is the best dancer, and yeah, a small part of it is because I want Tony to finally win, but I don't believe in the theory that "everyone should have a turn." Tony is another one the producers hate, always saddled with bad partners ever except for his first season, and only getting a good dancer like Melissa as a fluke... what an FU it would be for him to win.

I want Shawn to do something amazing like her mambo, and not drag out a balance beam (cause I know she was joking, but I wouldn't put it past Derek :shuffle:).

Derek's contemporary dance with Allison, Melanie, and Kathryn from SYTYCD was gorgeous.

So next week it's a favorite dance, supersized freestyle, and then an instant dance where the music and style will be revealed that night. That'll be interesting. I guess the idea is that they should be dancing, not just doing choreography... I hope they are fair and only give them dances they already performed this season!

I feel like the freestyle thing is just an excuse to let Derek and Mark dance together one more time. :lol: But luckily Shawn is awesome and doesn't get overshadowed by them. Hoping Val doesn't invite Maks and Peta to dance with them, barf. No clue what Tony will do.

2. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I'm disappointed not to see what Apolo could do in the final free styles. When he talks about the challenge and "baring his soul" and going to places he's never been, I believe him. He is so committed, so smart, and so able.

Apolo's final few dances showed sophistication and skill. His range is amazing. He handled so many styles and themes with aplomb. For me, he is the best dancer of this and many other seasons.

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I get how people think Kelly didn't show enough excitement and wasn't smiley and happy, but whining? When Brooke specifically asked her how hard it was to do the show while working full time, she said her situation wasn't special because everyone had their own obligations, families, etc. According to TWOP she had a broken toe, flu, and rib injury that were barely mentioned or not mentioned at all. She didn't say anything negative about her scores all season. She's been humble and said she wasn't the best dancer and is trying to improve and take what she can from the show, both technically and emotionally.

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Really? Oh, boo hoo hoo, showing emotion is so hardz? That's not whining? She still doesn't do it, but really, she's an actress, allegedly. And a pouty face (which she always has, even while dancing) is worth a thousand words. She always looks sulky, and clomps through her dances (my GOD, woman, freakin' finish a line, it's not that difficult.) And the whole groping each other thing is just creepy. (That's not just her, that's Val, too.)

I don't think Apolo's the best, though he's definitely in the running, and he was definitely missing something with Karina that he had with Julianne, but he deserved, based on dance skill and work ethic, to make the final. If it had to be one of the final two, Emmitt at least gives the appearance of having fun while not being any technically worse than Kelly.

Personally, I'd give it to Melissa, both because Tony's due (and really, a skating board is gonna complain about that as a criteria?) and because she's the closest to a total package (Shawn's one pure dance Monday had more issues than Melissa's--I'd like to see one where Derek has her just dance it straight. He's more than capable of turning out an amazing routine playing strictly by the rulebook.) And she seems to be really loving it.

And on a side note, I would LOVE it if some of these couples came to a real comp and tried it. They might have to create a special event and NDCA might still nix it (the celebs on paid to be on DWTS which technically eliminates them from ever being eligible to compete NDCA pro-am events), but it would be fun. Though the show pros would have to be careful as every other pro on the floor would be gunning for them (of course that happened to Corky anyway when he started in pro-am, as he came in expecting it to be a cakewalk...it, uh, wasn't.)

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Great post, Lady Nit!
    What derailed Apolo, IMO, was that his first few performances were a bit "flat" for some reason I can't quite explain.
    He was in the middle of the pack; and by the time he found his "mojo" and confidence - as he did in these last weeks - it was too late to regain the votes/scores he lost earlier in the season.

I said this during Apolo's original appearance on DWTS; but, it bears repeating:

What I love most about DWTS is seeing someone discover a skill/talent they didn't know they had; and through hard work, seeing them develop into a great performer who enjoys sharing that with an audience.

For me, this was particularly true of Apolo, Gilles, and Evan.

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I don't see opening up about having a difficulty with emotional vulnerability as whining (Shawn made similar comments before her rhumba), but YMMV, and clearly does.

ITA. I have no problem with ringers, in fact I quite enjoy them, but it's definitely special to see someone without prior experience turn out to be a great dancer like Apolo, Helio, Brooke, and Gilles (I count figure skaters and gymnasts as ringerish).

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Shawn I can see having problems with portraying emotion, but Kelly is paid to fake it every single day. Dance is absolutely the same thing as acting--it's just pretending, not actually feeling (for all Carrie Anne blubbers about it.) It's no more real than soap operas. I cannot believe an actress would have problems presenting emotion--athlete, sure, that's not their job, but this is what she does every day, allegedly.

Possibly that's the real advantage to athletes over actors--while acting IS a physical profession (the read doesn't sell it if your body language isn't working) actors get to hide when they screw up (at least in film and TV), rather than getting one shot at it and no retakes. Athletes don't get their "emotionally vulnerability" (whatever that means anyway) indulged so they know how to suck it up.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I'm with those who thought Apollo wuzrobbed (by not being recognized for how good he was).

:wuzrobbed

9. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching and my comments have pretty much been covered expect for this one ....

what the hell happened to DanceCenter??!! :wuzrobbed

Why didn't they do DanceCenter? Will it be on Monday's show or maybe something on the finale on Tuesday?

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Spoilers for the dances the girls have selected as their repeat dances (from TWOP):

According to the Offical DWTS Instagram account, for the repeat dances they are all doing their week 3 Iconic dance. So that means Melissa is the Samba, Kelly the Paso Doble and Shawn the Quickstep. Along with the freestyle of course.

Loving the choices for Kelly and Melissa. As for Shawn,
    it's a bold choice considering the judges dinged it for lack of quickstep content the first time. Will Derek switch it up, or will the judges somehow "find" enough content to give them all 10s?

Shawn freestyle spoiler:
    The Fierce 5 are supposed to make a cameo appearance!!! Can't wait.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  11. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Squee! Should be fun.

As for Shawn and Derek's repeat dance:

I imagine Derek will add just a bit more of quickstep so the judges can't say there was the same or less dance content, but he'll keep the hijinks up because his strategy all season long has been to appeal to the viewers, not the judges. Their "quickstep" had precious little quickstep IN it, but it's one of the most popular dances ever done on DWTS. For the most part, viewers crown the champion and in this case, the judges don't disagree enough to pull their sway, ala Jennifer Gray.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Nice job by Kelly