DWTS All Stars - The Semifinal

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by pixie cut, Nov 19, 2012.

1. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Melissa & Tony into the final!!

2. victorskid

Apolo & Karina had the lowest total of votes + scores.

3. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

:(

4. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Now I'm disappointed. The final should have been Melissa, Shawn and Apolo.

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

Melissa in the finals. Apollo goes home :(

Happy for Melissa, and Tony. But it should be Melissa AND Apollo (and Shawn) in the finals.

6. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

YES!!!!! :cheer:

7. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Melissa is safe; Apollo is eliminated. Whaa!

8. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Well that stinks. :(

9. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Happy for Melissa, sad for Apolo.

10. victorskid

Totally agree!

11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

bah, it really should be both of them. i feel personally wuzrobbed.

Lilia A and (deleted member) like this.
  12. victorskid

Kelly & Val are in the final.

13. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

Kelly in the finals.

I'm sorry, but, we wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

14. Spareoom

All girl finale; that is so impressive! Although I would have loved to see Apollo make it.

Should be fun! Can't wait to see the freestyles. :D

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

jeez america, no one has my back

16. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Kelly and Val .. bah :rolleyes:

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Wow, an all female final.

18. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Came here for some snarking. I dunno, Kelly is whiny like Jennifer Gray -- I really do not care about her choked-off-emotional-trachea or whatever -- and I think the "romance" with Val is all hype. I would have been much happier with Apolo and even happier with Emmitt who I like even if he isn't the greatest dancer.

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

BOO. If Apolo had to go home (and I could see that after last night), of Kelly vs Emmitt...I'd rather watch Emmitt. He at least looks like he's having fun.

And I'm sorry, Shawn fans, but she and Derek already have a trophy and Kelly got one she didn't deserve the first time. Tony's DUE. Melissa is a sweetheart. But she (or failing that, Shawn) MUST win.

20. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Oh gag! I managed to get a feed part way through. Glad for Melissa and Shawn; they really earned their places. But Kelly? "Joyless" dance is really dead on. I couldn't figure out why I didn't like her until I saw that term. So right! Hope Melissa gets it with Shawn second.

21. semillon27

semillon27 Member

Interesting - you could maybe have predicted the finalists based on the popularity of the dance clips on Hulu. If you look through the list of "Popular" clips, the dances show up in the following order starting with most popular:

Shawn's Bhangra
    Melissa's Hustle
    Melissa's Argentine Tango
    Shawn's Argentine Tango
    Kelly's Flamenco
    Kelly's Rumba
    Apolo's Jazz
    Apolo's Rumba
    Emmitt's Lindy Hop
    Emmitt's Tango

I'm so torn between whether to vote for Shawn or Melissa. I love Shawn and think that, even though she won her season, she is SO MUCH BETTER this time around. I'd actually vote her most improved over everyone. Melissa has been good to.... but if I vote for them it will be for Tony, really.

22. Spareoom

Interesting. I went to Hulu and sorted all the dances by all-time popularity. I dunno how accurate it is, but of the three finalists, here's how their dances ranked in terms of popularity. Note that the top dance isn't the most popular video overall; both team dances ranked above the highest individual dance.

Shawn - Foxtrot
    Shawn - Rhumba
    Shawn - Tango/Paso
    Shawn - Jive
    Shawn - Mambo
    Finally:
    Kelly - 7th dance (I forget which one this was; waltz?)
    Melissa - Foxtrot (I think; sailor)
    Melissa - Jive
    Shawn - Cha cha
    Shawn - Samba
    Shawn - Quickstep
    Kelly - Contemporary
    Kelly - Cha cha
    Melissa - quickstep?
    Shawn - Waltz
    Melissa - Paso doble
    Kelly - Waltz
    Shawn - Bhangra
    Kelly - Paso
    Melissa - third dance
    Melissa - Hustle
    Kelly - Trio
    Kelly - Tango?
    Kelly - Flamenco
    Melissa - Argentine Tango
    Shawn - Argentine Tango
    Melissa - Seventh dance

...aaaand etctera. Remember, I don't how how accurate these rankings are (and note that there are a LOT of clips and other dances in between these ones) but yeah. As you can see, the rankings are pretty top loaded.

23. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

This article has a link to an interview with Kristi Yamaguchi, with comments on her favorites in the DWTS final 5 contestants, and they ask her point blank whether she was asked to join the All Stars season :eek:

Like fine wine baby :smokin:

24. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Cannot believe that Kelley is in the finals! If she wins I will vomit!

25. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Ditto to that!

26. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Actually my vote for the most improved dancer in the history of the show would be Kelly; esp when you compare this all star season to her 1st foray much shorter turn on DWTS. It is night and day. She was so stiff and akward in the beginning, she has grown so much it is really hard to believe it is the same person dancing. So I think she totally deserves to be in the finals! Kelly more so than any of the others has to work so much harder just to keep up, because dancing is just not natural for her at all! OTH, choreo would be 2nd nature for Shawn; she also has natural athletic skills too, so it is just about re-packaging and refining what's already in her wheelhouse, training is also 2nd nature for her, and then add in youthful enthusiasm and the 2 most popular young male dancers Derek and MarK to partner her. she will likely win the mirror ball in a landslide! Melissa also has very good natural dancing skills to build on (probably has the best technique of the all stars) and the very likeable, expert Tony D teaching her, Tony has never had the chance to get this far in the comp having been saddled with dancing fodder type partners on his previous seasons and so you can tell he is hoping America votes for the best dancer, not the favorite or most popular one, so they may pick up the sympathy and the more knowlegeable ballroom votes. Kelly is very much the underdog here despite her soap fanbase. I really admire her efforts to improve her dancing skills, her work ethic, and her desire to prove to everyone who supported her that she does deserve to be an all star. She has taken the most heat all season from the judges, there was a judging love fest going on for most of the others who didn not really deserve it IMO. So I say Go Kelly Go! Kelly is what this competition is all about - learning how to do the best with what you naturally have and then relying on hard work and a great dance teacher to help you to bring it all out on the dance floor.

PeterG, LadyNit, Cherub721 and 5 others like this.
  27. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

No way...........they invited Bristol, but not Kristi. Wonder who else didn't get invited. Have to admit I didn't even think about the fan base for Kelly. Melissa should be proud of herself making it this far without the fan base of Shawn, Emmitt and Kelly. We need to remember it's just a mirror ball, in case there is a lesser winner. Can't wait to see Shawn's free dance, hope Kelly does a good job, but fingers crossed for Melissa.

28. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

When they originally announced this all star season, I remember Tom Bergeron saying that in addition to former champions and fan favorites, TPTB also wanted past controversial stars. So I assume Bristol fit that category well (and I'd rather see Bristol than Kate Gosselin or Master P) The aim was to get a variety of celebrities back they hoped would get people to watch. So more worthy and better dancers like Kristi weren't asked to return..

Anyway, I'm hoping Melissa and Tony win. And I might just vote for the first time this season next week for them. :)

Lilia A and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Nan

Nan Just me

I think Kelly over Apolo is very wrong, but I wonder how much of the voting had nothing to do with the celebrities and everything to do with voting for Val over Karina.

30. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Given Val probably now has the record for closest-to-naked for a male pro (Edyta is probably the all-time record holder) I suspect Nan is in part on to something.

Debrah--really? Less natural than for Emmitt? Apolo? Maybe than Sabrina or Melissa, but no one else on the show this season comes from a dance background-even Shawn's a gymnast, not a dancer. Kelly isn't doing anything a halfway-competent bronze dancer couldn't do to the same skill level or better, and she looks like she's sucking on a lemon while she does it. The trick is to ignore Val (he's supposed to be beside the point-we know he can dance) and watch HER, and she's just not particularly good and has very poor presentation skills (especially for an actor, even off a soap opera.) She's no better than Emmitt and at least when he looks awkward, he laughs about it instead of pouting. Jennifer Grey whined her way to a mirror ball, we don't need Kelly doing it again...