DWTS All-Stars: The Finale!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by danceronice, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

It was obvious that the other pros were very happy for Tony!
  2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

*SCEEEAAAM!*

(Of course, now you realize, Maks HAS to get a mirror ball... ;) )

Works out nicely--Shawn and Derek can be happy seconds, Tony gets a long-deserved mirror ball, and Melissa's good enough to deserve it. And the RIGHT two were the top two. (I really thought it was going to go the other way.)

And man, Tony on the shoulders of Maks and Val...sorry, Derek, Melissa needed to get hoisted by someone taller to reach!
  3. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

4. Nan

Nan Just me

Very happy for Melissa and Tony! :respec:
  5. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Yay Melissa and Tony!! Their expressions when Tom said "Now they have one, too." is priceless. I'm so happy for them!

Shawn and Derek were also fantastic and if they hadn't already won trophies, I'd have been campaigning for them. Now everyone's got a share of the wealth. :)
  6. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Were the two guys hugging and jumping when the results were revealed the Chmerkovskiy brothers?!? :rofl:
  7. Norlite

Norlite New Member

It was actually very sweet to see. :)
  8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with Maks getting a mirrorball sometime, lol. Just has to be with the right person.

Awww...such a nice season. I'd be interested in finding out how close the votes were, but I don't think it would have made a difference if Shawn and Derek had tied Melissa in points. Shawn is VERY popular so for Melissa to beat her meant that she picked up a lot more of an advantage than just a few points. I know a lot of people were voting for her and Tony and they definitely deserved it.
  9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

They're like, "THERE IS A GOD!" There's hope for the consistently scorned. ;) I think Anna is due a trophy next, though...she was robbed of one with Evan, so she deserves a REALLY good celeb so she can finally win.
  10. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Anna has to get one first!
  11. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Yay Tony and Melissa! :cheer2:
  12. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Yeah! I love Anna and would love for her to win it next
  13. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

So happy for Melissa and Tony!

Um, did they have to make Chelsea look like a moron?
  14. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

I am SO happy for Melissa and Tony :cheer2:

Happy that Melissa and Shawn were the top two. They really were the best dancers this season.
  15. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I posted this in on another board but it's just easier to copy and past my thoughts:

I think all the "non fans" of the other two voted for Melissa. And it's not like she wasn't a finalist from her season and a former professional dance cheerleader. She has the goods but the fact that her and Tony didn't win yet and how woe is me it was has has been pimped. It has been the slogan of the season. Being on DWTS all stars was Shawn's Olympics (another season slogan). Sure she wanted to win but that free style was her moment to shine. I'm pretty sure they had at least a suspension last night they weren't going to win. So Derick just had Shawn enjoy the moment. He has been great for her this season and I think she has been great for him.

Melissa and Tony are a worthy winner though and it was great to see Tony super happy. And it's not like this is the freaking Olympics. It's a reality competition game show. When I watch these types of shows, I just root for my favorites to last to finals. A win is always just a bonus.
  16. danceronice

True, Anna could use one (if they ever do another all-stars, bring back Evan! THAT was the biggest ripoff in DWTS history.) Maks, too, as he's been with the show for ages, too, and while he's come close he's had some clunkers, too. Though of the n00bs, I'd obviously like Tristan to get a winner, too. ;)

I wonder if in some strange karmic or producer way, this was a belated apology to Tony for Kate Gosslein....
  17. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: So happy for Tony to finally win!! Oh, and Melissa too. :D Although it would have been nice to actually see their immediate reaction to winning versus seeing the backstage shot. (idiot camera work :mad:). It actually took me a second to react to when Tom said "now they have one too" because I heard it as "now they have won two" and I thought it was Shawn and Derek that won! :lol: Glad I was taping so I can go back and watch the reactions again.

So how do we start the campaign to get McKayla on the spring season!! That would be some good TV right there!
  18. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Am I the only one disappointed? I absolutely can't stand Melissa so this whole season was "ugh" as most All-Star seasons of reality shows have been. Hope they can get a good cast for next season but my interest in the show has waned. I used to look so forward to it every week.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I'm very happy Melissa and Tony won. :D They had complex, interesting routines and they had a great relationship without that make believe passion of Kelly and Val. I liked Shawn, but I don't like Derek's strategy of ignoring the rules.

Now whatever will DWTS do for the next season?
  20. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

If you follow Tony, he actually loves the whole process of teaching. I'd be surprised if he didn't say to the producers "give me someone who has minimal knowledge" just because teaching is so important to him. Now that he has the MBT, he can perhaps re-phrase that as "give me someone with minimal knowledge who is physically fit and doesn't mind working hard."
  21. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I too would be interested to know who was jumping up and down in some back area when the winners were announced. I was soooooo thrilled for Tony. The look on his face -- priceless.
  22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Very happy at the result.
    Loved Tony/Melissa's and Pro's reaction to the win.

Pro dancing is an "insular" world; and I believe that these people really care for each other.
    That's great to see.
  23. danceronice

You either like each other or hate each other, at least within your own generation. (I would feel very awkward dancing with Louis, for example, he and my primary teacher from Boston are, as far as I can tell, not very friendly with each other, dating from their pro careers. Conversely, I'd be happy to work with Tristan again, I'm not a FAN of Maks's judging but I think he's generally fair and despite the 'bad boy' thing every time I've seen him interact with fans he's been a complete sweetheart, at my new studio Tony's old partner Elena comes to do coaching a lot...) Even when you don't LIKE someone, like a lot of people find Corky a bit...well, in fairness I don't know many male Latin dancers without an ego and at least his is justified, but when he started in pro-am many, many MANY people found it a golden opportunity to take him down a peg or three, there's still respect unless there's a REALLY good reason not to. And from what I have heard, pros tend not to last on DWTS without meshing well with the rest of the cast. I would guess at this point most of them have a pretty tight bond (heck, he and Maks have been good friends a long time, since before the show) and they're probably very happy for Tony.

As far as loving to teach, yeah, but there's a difference between being handed a 'non-dancer' like an athlete, or even a Bristol, and being given a non-dancer like...well, Kate. And it does help when you get someone who's got a built-in fan base.
  24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Melissa's win was so satisfying and great! There was so much genuine joy. Tony has looked haggard this season; he might consider taking some time off.

That was the best finale in ages. No musical guests, outside dancers, or troupe (unless they were in the opening number)... just the dancers from this season, yay.
  25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Wheeee, so happy for Tony and Melissa. Tony was so happy, it was great to see. And Maks, Val, etc. were like "yay, one of us, not the wonderkids!!!!"

I was still wishing for Gilles in the final, and if not Gilles, Shawn, Melissa, then Sabrina or Apolo should have been in it. But Kelly worked really hard, and Val did a great job with her.

Now we need Maks & Anna to win. And for Tristan to get a good partner.

I have to say, I kind of love that Gangnam Style routine. It is so nutty.
  26. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

That's what I heard it as too -- I wasn't looking at the TV and really was expecting to hear "Shawn and Derek" so it took me a moment to realize that Melissa & Tony had actually won. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
    Yes it was!
    Hoping that happens.
    I do, too. I missed seeing it on the night they first performed it, but it was so wonderfully wacky. :lol:
  27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I was thrilled with Melissa & Tony's win, and very happy with the way the rest of the dancers showed their sportsmanship.
  28. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Tony's reaction to winning was so great. And this genuinely looked like a very, very happy crowd on the dance floor last night, with Val and Maks really celebrating. :cheer:
  29. Nan

Nan Just me

I loved that Shawn's immediate reaction was joy for Melissa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsB3xtbMPWE

(sorry for the quality of the video)

The two seemed to be very close and supportive of each other as the season came closer to the end. Classy ladies, both of them.
  30. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

I think Shawn was truly happy for Melissa, but I think the reaction you're seeing is confusion. When Tom said, "too," I think it was construed as "two." Shawn thought she won. Then once he said, "Melissa and Tony," she just kept up the smile. I don't think it was insincere, but I don't think it was as intense as if she knew right away she'd lost.
  31. cruisin

Apollo's reaction was pretty cool too!
  32. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Does anyone else think the producers tipped Derek off? He seemed mopey before the announcement, whereas Tony seemed apprehensive. Derek is usually more confident. And he also made a comment after getting the instant dance scores that the season was so great or whatever "no matter the placement" and that sounded so not like Derek IMO. :lol:
  33. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I must have one of the few who heard it correctly and went they have one too? Yipeeeeeee before he announced their names.
    Still wishing I knew who did those jumps of joy with their backs to the camera ... and apparently "bleeped" out -- at least on the YT version.

As for Shawn smiling, it looked to me like she didn't smile til after the names were announced. Melissa OTOH, seemed to hear it as "two" instead of "too" cause she immediately looked over at the end of that sentence at Shawn & Derek and then it's announced as she and Tony as the winners and she seems happily shocked. I agree that Tony looked apprehensive, likely hoping against hope that maybe, this time, might be his time. Sheer joy on the faces of those two, and it was wonderful to see.
  34. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:respec: to Derek, too, for lifting up Melissa, too, after Tony was boosted up by Maks and Val.
  35. MLIS

MLIS Active Member

That was Maks and Val, I think.
  36. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I don't know, she looked right at them when Tom said "one, too." If she thought she had one, she would have looked to Derek, I think.
  37. sequins

sequins New Member

Yes it was (if you don't no yet)confirmed by one of the 'entertainment' shows today. I loved it. Very happy for Melissa and especially Tony and I love both Maks and Val and I don't care who knows it. I'm convinced the lack of clothing and artifical romance is all pushed on them by the show anyhow. When you peel the crap away Val does seem like a nice guy and both Sherri Shepherd and Kelly speak in glowing terms about him. So I still love the brothers faults and all.
  38. danceronice

Both Maks and Val have reputations for being temperamental, and not necessarily in ways that benefited their competitive careers. (Maks is not known for keeping quiet when he doesn't like results and Val quit competing over the whole WDSF/WDF "freedom to dance" "we wanna be in the Olympics" mess. Seriously, all WDSF needs is a $peedy and they'll be the ISU Mark II at this rate...) And I'm sure they don't MIND being TV sex gods, so if there's pushing I doubt it's very hard. But I've seen Maks at least deal with fans in person and he's never been anything but a total sweetheart. I think they're probably really intense teachers and probably can be hard to get along with, but I can't imagine they're really "bad boys." (And needless to say I think Hope Solo's full of...something that's not Shineola.)
    Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  39. cruisin

Only time I saw Maks in person was when our family was in Paris. We had gone to Versailles and Maks and Karina and their entourage were there. They were rather obnoxiously loud and pushy. However, that was when he and Karina were "engaged". So, maybe he's grown up. He does come across as a caring, but temperamental person.
  40. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

If you go back to her US team days, seems she's got some issues going on. No way they bench someone that talented unless they're doing something that can damage the team. I'm inclined to take anything she says with a ton of NaCl.