DWTS 5/10-11: Dancing though Time

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, May 10, 2010.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I don't get much variety with Erin, really--I get "scared stiff" and sour-looking. She really doesn't look happy, even when she is. And Chad TRIES to come across as...whatever, but in the long shots when he's not paying attention to the cameras he looks surly. Evan looks nervous waiting for results, but overall seems happy to be there and upbeat.

2. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I can see how you might view her that way -- during the live shows. I think that in the rehearsal footage, she exhibits a much wider range of expression. But maybe that's because I've seen her a lot before DWTS.
    Not sure what Chad is trying to convey ... but then I'm not a 25-year-old male. :lol:
    Evan does seem generally positive -- mostly in a very low-key, subdued way, although bits and pieces of his humorous side do emerge at times. Ditto for Erin. Neither of them seem to be as naturally out-going and warm as Pam. :(

3. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Re Nicole's 50's Paso.

Nicole’s hair style reminded me of “Vargas Girls” in the late 40’s.

Their dance reminded me of a) West Side Story/I want to be in America/Rita Moreno, and b) Grease/Dirty Prom Dance/with J. Travolta and “Bad Girl”.

Re Niece....:duh:
    Niecy is annoying. She can PR until cows come home her “jiggle parts”, but she is not pleasant to look at. Just because one is allowed by law to say “fat is beautiful”, does not mean it is beautiful.

I think the only reason Niecy is being “voted to stay” is because of several PR tendencies in America today. She can’t dance, and her “jiggly parts” look nasty.

Evan dances and moves on the floor a little more gracefully than on the ice. I don't see why some girls find him "hot"...... Judging by how he talks and what he talks about, the guy has never read a decent piece of literature, nor visited a museum, nor attended a theatre...... He never heard of "Carmen" until 22!!!??? and he is very "suburban", and he dances like he has good potential but not the true understanding of the essence and origins of the dances he performs...... I don't see what's so "hot" about him.....:p

The only two participants that I like are from separate teams: Nicole and Maks.

4. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My mother commented on Evan's monotone voice - she said he sounds bored all the time. I actually have a monotone voice and it is hard to change without sounding artificial, but after years of public speaking, I find ways to project different tones/emotions. It isn't all that easy though.

6. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Well, obviously Tanith saw something in him! :lol:

7. Tinami Amori

yeah...... until she found Charlie White, who plays a violin, skates, plays hockey, who is a student at University of Michigan and shows some education and knowledge, or at least the look on his face is "intelligent" and not a of "zorba the fisherman".;)

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

You do realize that she was voted out, right?

9. Tinami Amori

But only last night.... She should have been voted out 4th or 5th week.... after her 10th "jiggle parts and big girls are beautiful" comment.:cool:

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Nicole, Derek, Evan and Anna are on the cover of next week's tv guide.

11. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: :angryfire :wall:

My sil who is sweet but is intolerant of certain groups of people, asked me tonight if Evan was the same as every other male ice skater, you know gay. I chose not to give a straight, no pun intended, answer. Just said he has dated other figure skaters. I was very vague indeed.

Not my business, nor anyone else's business unless Evan is your SO. And definitely ticked me off with the implications.

12. danceronice

Irony was all the skating people who'd ask me about my ballroom pros "So..are they...you know........" And I'd be like "Just say 'gay', and no, they're not." :rolleyes:

13. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

This issue is something that drives me crazy too. I have several good friends (who are my age or a wee bit older, thus more senior than most FSU'ers) who just assume that any male who is a figure skater or any kind of dancer is automatically gay. These are folks who are indeed tolerant to gay people and have gay friends and support gay causes. They just assume anyone in these fields is gay. If I talk about any straight skater or dancer dating someone, they'll go "yeah...right!" Of course these people don't have a background in the arts or skating. And they aren't being judgemental about the gay lifestyle. They just assume.....

14. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Not saying these people aren't homophobes (because well...) but some people want to know if someone's gay before the decide to crush or not. I can understand in real life why that could be important but on tv and sports crush away. They aren't someone you're likely to meet anyway.

15. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

It never even mattered to me whether the objects of my crushes were dead or alive :lol: (back in early teen years, I was fixated on some movie actors who were older than my parents' parents ... those who were still among the living, that is. Quite a few had passed on).

16. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I hear you. I've been smitten since I was 11 with a guy who was born in 1754.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  17. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Seriously. Whether my celebrity crushes are gay or straight, one thing is pretty certain: I ain't got a chance with them either way.

18. danceronice

Right there with ya. Well, probably not the same person but same idea. One way or another, it will NEVER happen, so who cares what their crush is?

It just always struck me as :confused: that people I knew from SKATING were so...mealy-mouthed about it! You're in a SKATING CLUB. You cannot turn around without tripping over a gay man. We had a married couple who coached--they're both men! Just say "gay" if that's what you want to know!

19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Nah -- I still think Rock Hudson is cute. Even after I learned he was playing for the other team. Still enjoy thinking about MacMillan & Wife, and that fabulous house in San Francisco.

I admit to having some curiosity -- as well as tremendous admiration for skaters like Rudy who came out while he was was still competing -- but mostly I don't particularly care, and it doesn't seem to affect whether or not I like the skater.

20. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I don't know either, but I'm all for one season of "Dancing with the Stars Who Dance." Get every potential ringer out there. A Broadway show dancer, the winner of SYTYCD, whatever Nicole is supposed to be, Tanith and Ben with different partners (Tanith with Max :); Ben with Edyta),etc., etc. There's no shortage. It would probably get the highest ratings.

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Per Anna's twitter, she and Evan have paso doble and foxtrot this week.

22. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Evan's going to shine with the paso doble! I was hoping he would get this soon.:lol:

23. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I wonder what the foxtrot will be like. The judges swooned over Nicole's, which didn't look like most foxtrots I've ever seen (not that I'm any great shakes on ballroom.)

24. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Carmen to the rescue. He could even wear his skating costume. :lol:

25. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'd PML if he were to wear his Espana Cani costume.:rofl:

26. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Travis Wall just tweeted he's working with Evan and Anna...

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I was hoping that too, but Evan tweeted that he heard his paso music when he was in the car, so I'm guessing that it's more current music - oh yay, I can't wait to hear what the singers do with it. :scream:

ETA: Apollo tweeted that he'll be at DWTS on Tuesday. :cheer:

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  28. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Who knows, maybe it will be really non-traditional but good. One of my favorite DWTS dances ever was Shawn and Mark's paso doble. They had dreadful music, but they made it WORK and therefor it wasn't so dreadful and the dance was great. Evan is going to have to knock it out of the ballpark this week if he wants to win, because he can't regress while any of the others progress.

29. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I usually hate the music the show picks for Paso Doble. Sometimes it works though. Apolo/Julianne's Paso freaking rocked and they had to dance to 'My Darling Clementine'!

I've been waiting for Evan's Paso though. He skated to Espana Cani for 87 seasons, so he's familiar with he traditional music. :lol:

Yay for Apolo being there! I want an All-Star season for no other reason than to see Apolianne together again. I really should get over them shouldn't I? :lol:

30. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

They live on forever on YouTube. Enjoy!