DWTS 4/5

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Apr 6, 2010.

1. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Well, they soon will be. :lynch:
  2. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

That's the thing with the voting at this stage of competition when there are many couples competing - a couple can completely tank week-after-week yet never be in danger in being eliminated because their share in viewer votes far exceeds their share in judges accumulated scores.

If you are middle of the pack judges scores + no viewer support = goodbye.
  3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

But Buzz has over 700,000 followers on twitter. He may have a lot of older fans who use the phone, but he seems to have a lot of fans who are somewhat tech savvy as well.

By comparison, Evan has just under 45,000; Niecy under 20,000; Soap Opera guy under 3,000; Pamela 131,000 ; the Bachelor 16,000; and Erin Andrews around 26,000

ETA: Erin, however, seems to have gotten an Olympic Gold Medal
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'd imagine that a lot of Buzz's fans are quite tech savvy. The man's an astronaut, a mechanical engineer, USAF pilot, and was part of the first manned moon landing. He's got serious tech street cred, and it would make sense that he'd have quite a fan base amongst the techie-minded out there. They'd certainly vote online, if they were voting. But are those particular people watching DWTS? Probably not.

I'm thinking that his fans who are voting are perhaps more of a phone voting base than an online voting base. Those of his fans (in real life, not online) who watch DWTS are possibly more likely to be those who are fans due to his moon mission's place in the popular culture of their era, not due to his tech credentials, and thus it's more about nostalgia and this nice old man.

But none of this is scientific - just my guess.
  5. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  6. pixie cut

Stolen right from Burn the Floor. I think Damian was even one of the guys in that dance.
  7. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there hasn't been outrage from the religious right over Neicy's and Louis' dance. Using DWTS, the most-watched show on TV, to attack bans on gay marriage is sure to rile up Focus on the Family and other conservativ Christian groups. They already consider Disney to be evil for letting gays have special days at the Disney theme parks.
  8. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I've been voting for him (on line :lol:) so that Kate will hopefully go home first. Then I'll stop voting for him.
  9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Agree - Bitchface Horsemane is pulling in the viewers ... like a 90 year-old flasher pulls in the gawkers. Speaking of which, I played three vids this morning -- Pamela's, Niecy's, and for the morning chortle - Kate's. Pam & Niecy did not disappoint. :swoon: Er, neither did Kate ... she's so hoRRIBLE that it's almost art!

Pamela and to a lesser extent Erin are also pulling in a new market of people for the show -- straight men. :psoty: Unfortunately for those ladies, a straight man is very unlikely to vote ... even if he had that desire, the fear of being "outed" for it would keep those fingers in pocket. Er, dual purpose there, I suppose.
  10. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Really enjoyed Evan's dance. Whoever said that it reminded them of his pre-senior days said what I was thinking last night. Actually, even in his senior break-through days he was still letting his cute personality show through . And then someone decided that he had to be all broody and angst-y in his choreography. Blah. I hope we get to see more of fun, showman Evan. I've missed him!

Kate is challenging Madeleine Murray O'Hare for the title of "Most Hated Woman in America" - at least based on the opinions of everyone I know and this board. If she makes it to the final two, I will be outraged and will probably never watch this show again. It's already outragious that she wasn't eliminated last week, and now we're being punished with more robotic walking while some random song is playing.

Re: screeching during Train song. OMG! I was cracking up and wondering why Edyta and Aiden weren't messing up because of it.

I didn't care for the blindfolded waltz - too gimicky - but that Maks is a hottie so I'll cut him some slack. Erin seems to have improved, also. Last week I thought she looked kind of klutzy; almost a female version of OchoCinco, but this week she seemed to have it more together. Hopefully she stays and we'll see more improvement.
  11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I would be very unhappy if outrage is expressed by anyone. And I am completely in favor of same sex marriage. However, I did think it was not the right place for making a political or moral statement. Sometimes the stars get very dramatic on DWTS, and they come across as insincere. I think it can trivialize very important issues.
  12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

My internet died during the storm. I liked Evan/Anna and much as I hate Derek, I loved Nicole/Derek. They really had the best routine of the night. I get that Len dinged them for breaking the rules, but they were the most entertaining of the lot including Evan. :shuffle:

I want Ochocinco and Erin/Maks to stay around just because he's (both guys) hot and Neicy/Louis because I <3 Louis. Buzz is cute.

Bachelor, AMC spy and Kate can go in any order.
  13. cruisin

I didn't see all of Evan's performance. I've been trying to find it on the internet and can't. Does anyone know where one is? I have a Mac, so Flash won't work.
  14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36186318/ns/entertainment-reality_tv/

Interesting take of Nicole and Derek's dance. Derek is on the show long enough to know better, so maybe it was a caculated move on his and the judges part to make Nicole seemed like less of a ringer in the early rounds.
  15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Thanks for reminding - I thought Erin did a good job. I know the blindfold was a gimmick, but she got noticeably better once it was on, so as a teaching trick it worked.

Didn't get to see Niecy though.

Kate is a complete trainwreck in performance - so bad it's not even funny, just horrible to watch - but I'm not getting the "she's such an awful person!" vibe from her. I totally get why she's got a lot of support. I'm no fan - I never watched J&K+8, I don't agree with glorifying people who choose to have litters, and don't think she should be a 'celebrity' in any way. But just looking at the 2 or 3 episodes of this show I've seen, she comes across as someone who knows she's in over her head but is making herself come back and try again and again. It's not going to get me to vote, but I can see why she appeals to people.

Of course, I think it would be kinder if her fans let her go. :shuffle:
  16. cruisin

Maybe, but both my daughter and I said (at the same time), when they got called out for the "errors" - Derek's fault. I don't know that people will see it as a failing of Nicole's or see her as less of a ringer. So, if that was their plan, they probably give the audience too little credit.

In addition, I see that there were some breaks from required holds, etc. However, I still thought the dance worked as a quickstep. The theme, this week, was odd and every team did the same sort of breaks from requirements. Nicole and Derek were the only ones called on it. I thought there were too many props and too much irrelevant posturing from all. At least Nicole and Derek came across as dancing.
  17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

In the picture with Erin, it looks like Evan is wearing a cross? I thought he was Jewish?
  18. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

[rant on] For the first time ever, I fast forwarded through several of the dances. A few of the "stars" don't interest me at all...and if they can't dance AND continue to show zero improvement, I don't enjoy watching them.

This season, I feel like there is a big disconnect between who is a good dancer and who is winning the votes. And I resent the fact that Nicole was cast as a competitor. It takes a lot of the fun/interest out of the competition having such a gap between her skills and the rest of the group's. (Plus her partner is Derek--an endless source of irritating behavior.)

I also think the 'aquarium' holding pen that they are using for the cast has destroyed the feeling of intimacy/camaraderie among the competitors that was palpable in other seasons.

And while I'm bitching, let me add that the Samantha replacement is dreadful. She's not as pretty as Sam and she has NO personality whatsoever.

The only cast members that engage my attention/sympathy: Evan (although he should continue to take his personality booster shots), Niecy, and Pamela.

Very disappointing season. :( [rant off]
  19. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Evan is Greek Orthodox, and proud of it according to remarks he has made over the years.
  20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Nicole and Derek's number was more Broadway then quickstep to me. It was like they wanted to do a jitterbug or jive but knew they had to throw in some quickstep so they'd jump back in hold for a few bars. Entertaining and well danced, but not really quickstep.

I found Louis and Niecy's rehearsal footage to be very real and moving. I liked that he tackled this timely subject matter.
  21. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

And worse than that, we get Joey Fatone so I am robbed of seeing Gilles do a shirtless tango. :swoon:
  22. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I believe he's Catholic. He also has a cross tattoo on his left arm/shoulder.
  23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Ugh, I forgot to vote for the men, but I didn't think Gilles was one of the choices, was he?
  24. pixie cut

Greek Orthodox
  25. NancyNC

I thought he was, but I could have just had him on the brain. :shuffle:
  26. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

You have got to be kidding! I missed this. What the heck are people thinking....oy. And I *did* vote for Kristi, so I have a right to complain! :soapbox:
  27. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

I don't like how they remodeled the studio in general :scream: . They traded what I perceived as classic ballroom to a Miami nightclub lit with neon.

As for Brooke, at least she can empathize with the contestants, not just sympathize. Samantha, Brooke, Drew, a 'Truth Booth', a plain old standup microphone in the middle of the "celeb-quarium"....makes no difference to me :blah: .

Burke was on the Kimmel show last night, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLFNKRxj4ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV7c2U_YUdk

She's rooting for Kate? :yikes:

--------

Also, did I hear Bergeron say that next week the contestants will receive two different scores for one dance: one for performance and one for technique? Evan is used to that type of scoring ;) .
  28. pixie cut

Just watch Brothers & Sisters. He's got his shirt off all the time.

I don't think he was among the male celebrity choices because I voted for Joey Fatone. I never would have done that if Gilles Marini was an option. :lol:
  29. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Evan's rehearsal footage and number from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY9HFuQ-OoQ

ETA: He's becoming pretty cute and the number looks better to me on second viewing. I don't understand the criticism on Evan's feet. What should he be doing?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  30. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Greek? Or another Eastern Orthodox church? (I'm just wondering, Lysacek isn't a Greek name.)

Joey and Melissa...well, this should be....interesting.
  31. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

What is his mother's maiden name? Maybe that is where the Greek comes from.
  32. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Santoro -- according to Wikipedia. His family heritage is Czech and Italian (also courtesy of Wikipedia). You don't have to be Greek to belong to the Greek Orthodox church.
  33. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Greek.

34. NancyNC

Sad to say, I have never watched this show. I think I shall have to program my DVR though if this is a frequent occurrence. :shuffle:
  35. pixie cut

Go on ABC.com. I think they have past episodes. :swoon:

I don't much care for the new look of the studio either.

I do, however, like Brooke Burke.
  36. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

For professional reasons I have to read the Jewish press all the time, believe me if he was even half-Jewish it would have been proudly stated. (As it is, about 47 people sent me the same article about Ben Agosto and Charlie White both being half-Jewish.)

The whole Gosselin phenomenon puzzles the hell out of me. Which is neither here nor there but in terms of DWTS, it distorts the voting and support patterns in a way that has me mildly irritated. (Mildly because that's all I care about the results.)
  37. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

They might not be watching. My sister's rather-conservative pastor already has been preaching the evils of DWTS and SYTYCD for quite some time now. :lol:

Really loving Evan's dancing on the show, but I hope he gets a few new moves during the other segments. The first week when they panned the couples at the beginning, he kind of gave a wooden smile and looked sooo nervous. The second week he upgraded with a bigger smile and a wink. But this week he did the same thing. Gotta keep changing it up kid or you'll get the "robot" remarks again!
  38. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Or they didn't get what he was implying. One of my faculty asked me today what he was talking about.
  39. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

I missed the last few couples last night so haven’t seen Pussycat lady’s routine. I find Erin Andrews [and her story :drama:] vaguely interesting and I thought their dance had a ton of chemistry. :grope: Am I the only one? I don’t like reality TV in general, but I’m aware of the phony “showmance” concept. However I’m starting to believe that they’ really are involved. Either that or great acting guys!
  40. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Since both of them get their Jewish half from their mothers, then it makes them both 100% Jews by the Jewish tradition. :)
    Though, this won't be a reason for me to like or to dislike skaters.
    In their case, they are both very talented.
    US has a promissing future in ice dancing category, now that BelGosto retired!
    And Charlie is very :swoon:
    Can't wait to see him participating in DWTS!
    Wishful thinking, I know...

Sorry for going a bit out off the topic. ;)