DWTS 4/26-27: Swingtime

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Just guessing, but many of the former pro athletes are still involved in their sports either as broadcasters or coaches. The timing of DWTS is off for anyone related to baseball, coming at the start and end of each season. The football guys are off from the beginning of February until July/August, so I suspect that's why you see more of them.

2. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Doesn't he have a bad achilles tendon? Given what happened to the Oly beach V-ball grrl who danced with the stars, I'd think Beckham would give it a pass. Although the thought of him doing the shirtless star turn is :smokin:

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

baseball seems like a big sports gap, and there are a number of baseball players who I think would be relatively well known to a US audience. I'd also expect a NASCAR driver would be a popular choice. Maybe the baseball and NASCAR seasons are too long, but I think they'd be some retired players who'd be sufficiently well known. Some of the US women soccer players seem to qualify as "celebrities" by the shoow standards, or maybe a female basketball player.

I'd love a cyclist, but I don't really see that attracting a big audience - and male cyclists don't tend to look good shirtless There are some female cyclists with world and olympic gold, including Kristen Armstrong. Maybe they could get some press by talking about champion cyclist Armstrong (even though she's no relation to Lance). :lol:

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Anybody in a TV series is too busy, same with an active movie career. Most pro athletes are out unless they're retired or it's something with a limited season. Entertainers with *real jobs* such as Donny Osmond find themselves exhausted before the season is over if they're flying all over the country (like Evan) and none of them could make the committment to doing a tour. Singers who're recording and/or touring are out for the same reason. This creates some real limits for the producers.

5. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

A Mel/Maks v. Gilles/Cheryl final would be a dream.

6. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

7. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I see there's also a team cha-cha. Not sure how that will be scored.

8. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Derek's team will win of course! :rolleyes:

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I think they did a few team events last year, and IIRC, each of the judges gave each team a score, and everyone on the team got the same score. The team scores were added to their individual scores for each pair's overall score for the night

10. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember Clyde was pretty bad. I don't see basketball players overall being that successful since they are usually so tall. It'd be kinda interesting to see Dirk Nowitzki on the show since he has some ballet training, but he's 7 ft tall.

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I wonder why DWTS isn't on DVD yet? I can't get enough of watching utube vids of Mya & Dimitri. I was also rewatching last night vids of Shawn & Marks and Lil Kim & Derek. Great fun.

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

IIRC, it's not on DVD because of music rights.

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

NFL players and sometimes whole teams take ballet classes - or at least they used to. Herschel Walker once performed with the Ft. Worth Ballet and I believe other NFL players performed with Chicago City Ballet. Lynn Swann of the Steelers danced from childhood. I wonder if dance is a more normal part of agility training in the NFL so the players are naturally attracted to this show. I have never heard of baseball teams/players being very involved in dance training.

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Some outfielders do. I remember a UConn player taking a leaping class at the Hartford Ballet, and that was in the 70s.

15. deltask8er

Half of the baseball players don't look physically fit enough to endure DWTS training, anyway :shuffle: . And retired baseball players, :yikes: . (Tom Glavine might be an exception. He was drafted both as a hockey player and as a baseball player; he chose :bribe: baseball).

16. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

Kristen Armstrong would be great. I'd love to see a cyclist, too, and she's pretty accomplished, and might actually dance well.

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

TV Guide had an article about this season and mentioned that this is the first time they've had cameras going in the practice studios the whole time the teams are practicig. So if it seems that there is a bit more:drama: and :argue: this season, it may just be because they're not missing anything this time.

18. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

That's because studio footage is way cheaper to shoot than all the manufactured B reel they usually do. DWTS built these dance studios and own them. They've probably pre-installed TV lighting and other equipment. Makes it very easy to film rehearsals. On the other hand, sending a crew out for the day to some location involves work and $$$. I'm finding this repetitive studio footage annoying, but I suppose it's no worse than a fictional shopping trip.

19. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Which makes the complete lack of :drama: around Evan and Anna (aside from taking a nasty fall on his head) all the more noticable. He really is quite the professional.

uyeahu and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I would vote for David Beckham if he simply stood in the middle of the floor and waved his arms. Sorry. Big crush.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  21. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

He really does come across as such a lovely young man (I'm sounding more and more like my grandmother, but it's true!). And Anna Trebunskaya could not be more beautiful and she seems to know what works for him. What a lovely couple! They'd better win it!

birdgal and (deleted member) like this.
  22. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

One thing he has over most of the other celebrities is the ability to (a) train, which obviously Chad also has and (b) concentrate. There have been six weeks of shows so far, and never once did Anna yell at him to concentrate, which we see with almost every other celebrity and certainly the young male ones. He's the furthest thing from ADD and I'm glad they didn't try to pretend.

23. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

That's why athletes usually do well on DWTS. They know how to be coached. They understand the role of a student. They also have the competitive drive.
    Go EVAN!!!

birdgal and (deleted member) like this.
  24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

That would be all right, I suppose. They certainly shouldn't let him speak. :yikes:

I'd watch Tom Glavine on the show. Though they shouldn't let him talk, either. IIRC, he's not the brightest bulb in baseball.

25. uyeahu

I love this photo of Anna and Evan from their Facebook page. I know there's video of her skating with him somewhere as well. So cute.

26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Oh Princess..we must have similar tastes. I actually met Tom Glavine some years ago while he was still with the Braves. He was the 'celeb" at a fundraiser I attended, and I had my photo taken with him. He was exceedingly polite, well mannered, handsome, soft spoken....and very classy! My heart fluttered a bit.

27. uyeahu

The Sunday evening twitter buzz is that Anna and Evan are dancing near the end of the show, Anna wants Evan to get a 10 because he deserves it, and Evan is wearing black.

Also, Niecy hurt her knee and Louis got food poisoning.

28. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Evan? Wearing black? No way!

I was really sorry to hear that about Niecy and Louis. I wonder what that means for the group dance tonight.

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I started a new thread for this week

30. deltask8er

He was recently on the Letterman show, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaFj4Ukc8WY

But I'm with PL on listening to him. Usually I like British accents, but this one... :yikes: .

(My sister-in-law is obsessed with his abs :swoon: )

ETA:

I might have mentioned this before, but one of the pros mentioned the downside of the new "celeb-aquarium". There's no mental downtime during the show. Can't relax at all when everyone can see you for 2 hours straight.

Last edited: May 3, 2010