DWTS 4/26-27: Swingtime

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Apr 26, 2010.

1. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

For athletes whose visibility is pretty limited to fans of their sport, DTWS is a great opportunity to find a broader audience, which can translate into higher-paid endorsements. For reality stars, yes, a sixteenth minute of fame. For unknown actors on the way up, like Gilles, a good showcase.

But for the already-arrived? Nope. Too many chances to make a fool of yourself, lose to a nobody or be less likable on live TV than you are in a carefully staged press or photo op.

2. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I know. I was just teasing you. Your post was pretty funny in that context.;)

We haven't even mentioned the several hall-of-fame caliber football players that have appeared, nor the many successful recording artists. The show has certainly had plenty of legitimate "stars" over the years.

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

If star means a household name (even if just for a particular generation), I think there have been quite a few of those even if they were past their pinnacle when they went on the show - like the Osmonds, Wayne Newton, maybe Jerry Springer and Pam Anderson, for example. Others were once at the top of their field so they'd be stars in the field even if not a household name -- Like the Woz, the OGMs, Monica Seles, Oscar winners, Superbowl winners, etc.

And then there is the who the heck is Albert Reed or Stacy Keibler category.

4. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

luenatic and (deleted member) like this.
  5. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

re: Jake and no respect from many, I can only state my objections. First, anyone who ho's themselves on the bachelor or bachelorette is ick. All the hot tub scenes, all the leadng people on, the scam of true love on a reality show, ick, ick, ick (and those are only the activities shown in the minutes of commericals - I do not watch it). Add that to the stumbling moves and the "me, me, me" attitude. And finally what mpal said.

6. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Jake also bothered me when he treated his Pro badly at the beginning.

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I think that Pam Anderson will get a career boost out of this even if she leaves in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see her cast on a sitcom. She's really improved her likeability factor.

8. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Oh jeez, I forgot all these others had been on the show. [I was going to mention the Osmonds being big stars to some. :shuffle:]

And Monica Seles, yes - I watched it for all the five minutes that she was on. :lol:

9. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Are we twins?

The attitudes of people who've achieved fame and success with no talent is offensive to anyone who's actually toiled at anything. At least it's offensive to me. Every time I see Kate Gosselin on the cover of People magazine I feel ill. She acts like she's the biggest star in the world and she has zero degree of humility because she buys totally into her own hype.

We all know the vast majority of people on Dancing with the Stars aren't currently A listers. The show is a lot of work, and people currently fully occupied in the entertainment industry generally don't want to do that degree of work. So it's more appealing to those trying to either establish or revive their stars.

The current move to more and more reality stars in the cast -- Kate Gosselin and the most recent Bachelor on the same season -- is a little disturbing. Perceived as people whose stars are high now. Give me every former 90210-er, a snow boarder, a figure skater, a sitcom queen from the 90s, etc. These are people who know how to entertain and are grateful for the work.

10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Sitcoms are hard to survive though. The network would probably want to put her in a sitcom as a hot single mom raising teenagers who are embarrassed of their sexy mom :lol:. Been there. Done that. Maybe she can do a Nicolette Sheridan-like role for the short-term on DH.

11. LuckyCharm

Just please don't give her a reality show.:rolleyes:

12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Nope, don't watch the Bachellor or The Bachelorette. Pretty much the only "reality" TV I watch is DWTS and my guilty-pleasure show, ANTM. (When I remember it's on.) Really, besides DWTS, the only show on one of the major networks I watch is NCIS. So most of the 'reality' stars are blank slates for me.

13. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I just watched it now. Major :respec: to Melissa Ethridge. Love her.

I would really like Nicole to go next. She is so grating, whiny and pretentious and not nearly as good as her scores would suggest.

14. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that just like Joanna last season, Nicole will be dancing until the finale. :(

15. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Joanna was ousted in the semi final.

16. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I thought that she had made the top 3 -- shows just how bad my memory is. :eek: Then I suppose there is still some hope that Nicole will leave before then. :shuffle:

17. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

18. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I too get tired of the seemingly endless parade of reality stars on DWTS. I am aware that they probably cost less than the actors or even athletes at their prime. The show has to have a certain quantity to make it a full season so quality is not always a priority.

However, they seem to miss some opportunities. We've seen the parade of football players trying to dance and even two boxers. Have we seen a baseball player? A soccer player? I won't even get into the ones they have skipped over in the entertainment field.

Honestly, I think the reason is economics more than anything else. We know each "star" is paid a differing amount whether that is the weekly rate or the signing amount. Pam is probably more expensive than Jake for example.

I would still like to see them do a champ season. Past champs could come back with new partners and see who is the best of the supposed best. It would be a way to capitalize on the fame of past winners and let them mug for the camera more.

19. LuckyCharm

Yikes! I don't remember that at all, which is probably good for me. Although shows like that may bring a celeb money and attention, they don't usually do much to improve his or her image. They often do just the opposite. I cringe whenever someone I like signs up for something like that.

20. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Oh Pam! NO!
    Why can't she get a nice show where she acts like a normal mother in her 40's, instead of a sexpot?
    Something like CSI, Law & Order, etc. A good part in a good series.
    She can act, people just don't notice it because she is always getting the sexy role on a silly series.
    I also wish her a good man after the losers she has had.

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Per Anna's twitter, Evan and Anna have the Argentine tango next week.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  22. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a great idea. Kind of like Celebrity Apprentice or Survivor All-Stars! I think it would be a hit!!

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

When the ratings start to go down then the producers will bring out the Dancing With The All-Stars. Can you imagine the following pairs competing against each other: Kristi & Mark, Mel B & Maks, Mario L & Karina, Julianna & Apollo, Jason Taylor & Edyta, Evan & Anna, Lisa Rhena & Louis, Gilles & Cheryl, Mya & Dimitri, Joey & Kim. Now that will be a competition !

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

If that doesn't work out, maybe we could just bring Gilles back each season? :lol:

25. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'd still have to vote Mel B and Maks. Their Paso was the best I've seen.

The Argentine tango should suit Evan very well.

26. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Basketball players? Clyde Drexler was in season 4, but he wasn't very good and was voted off in week 4.

I don't think there have been any soccer players, but they did have a beach volleyball player and a UFC guy. :)

27. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Maks was interviewed on our local radio this morning. You all probably know this, but I didn't and found it interesting. He was on the Olympic reserve team in swimming.

28. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

EYS!!! :grope::smokin::swoon:

29. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/04/27/dancing-with-the-stars-ratings-down-kate-gosselin/

Jimmy Fallon joked that DWTS will compensate by next airing a real life train wreck :lol: .

30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

They've had a former basketball player, a former tennis player, a female wrestler, a rodeo star, 2 male boxers, a female boxer, an Indy car driver, a martial arts/actor, a ultimate fighting champ, but they seem to focus on the NFL and Olympic athletes as far as sports go. Maybe Beckham would oblige?