DWTS 3/29

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Mar 30, 2010.

1. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Evan did a great job!

I have to admit, the strangest thing for me to see was the camera panning to Evan's guests at 3:30 into this clip and seeing Frank sitting next to Lipinski . . . even if all I have ever heard from Frank were compliments for Lipinski skating her heart out, it still seemed strange to see.

Anna Trebunskaya & Evan Lysacek - Jive - Week 2

2. bek

bek Guest

I didn't see the clip. But I will say in Tony's defense that he normally has a reputation for being a very mellow guy, and this may be the first time we've seen this kind of thing with one of his students. I think that in and of itself, suggest who the problem is.

3. ncskatefan

ncskatefan New Member

yeah. i used to think samantha harris was dumb. how much worse is this?

4. ncskatefan

ncskatefan New Member

by the way i have to watch online - any bare chests i needed to be watching for?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I really enjoy watching Niecy learn and perform. She seems like one heck of a gal.
    Now, Kate can disappear and I'll be very happy.

6. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I predict Either Kate, Buzz or Aiden to be voted off tonight. I hope it's Kate but I dislike Aiden's dancing and personality, as well.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That would be awesome. :rofl:

8. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Aiden comes across as more likeable than Kate does, and he improved, IMO, quite a bit since the first week. His first week, not only was his dancing bad, but he also came across as cocky. This week, he seems far more genuine. I hope he stays for another week or so - I feel like he could actually continue to grow the longer he stays here.

I also thought that Buzz improved since last week, although I was disappointed that the judges didn't note that. I felt that a Foxtrot suited his partnership with young hottie a lot better than the Cha Cha Cha did. And at least Buzz seems genuinely interested in this show, and I feel like his being on could encourage other older folks to try dancing.

Kate doesn't even seem particularly interested in being here, and while both she and Buzz have had difficulty learning the steps, at least Buzz was able to develop a method that worked for him, to help him remember - the flowchart, bless his engineering heart. Kate is just a hot mess.

9. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Interesting MSNBC article, taking the POV that Nicole is hurting DWTS:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36092130/ns/entertainment-reality_tv/

I see their point and that of many of you here - everyone else is busting their butt and she just appears to be floating along (admittedly, she doesn't need much training). This could bite her bigtime with a backlash.

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Well, she is interested in the paycheck. Unfortunately, she's clueless as to how to keep that paycheck.

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I honestly do not mind Nicole but I do think they should not have given her those 10s. I cannot stand Kate. Hopefully she will be gone soon.

12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Evan did a really good job - and I don't even like his skating, lol!

I liked Pam, too... :)

13. GarrAarghHrumph

I think Pam is fabulous. Who knew she could act? ;) She really does a nice job of taking on whatever role suits the dance.

I don't like the Bachelor guy. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. I ended up fast-forwarding through his routine. Boring.

Likewise, I fast forwarded through Nicole's routine. I know she can dance, but... to be honest, I find the others more interesting.

14. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Having not watched the show before (or Idol, for that matter), I don't know how there is a backlash. How important is fan voting as compared to judges scores? Would the backlash occur if people refuse to vote for her? Also, is the scoring cumulative or does it go back to even week to week or after the elimination round?

I agree with the article - it doesn't seem right to have a professional dancer on the show. I thought Evan should have had closer scores last night, but if there's no real competition for her after two shows then why bother to watch? I can catch Evan on You Tube.

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I just couldn't get past Nicole whining about a song that's used routinely for competitive jive and swing. It's like they had to make up something for her to bitch about.

Again--Tony's job as teacher is to change how he presents the information if the student doesn't get it. Kate's job as student is to express herself RESPECTFULLY. She's obviously not very good at that. But then her dancing was horrible. It absolutely should have been scored below Buzz's. She's...I think either Ladies A1 or A2 age for dancesport, Buzz is WAY into Gentleman's C, and she was doing worse than the average Newcomer while he was respectably pre-bronze. A whole heck of lot of that was in the smile and effort.

And I agree with the point of the MSN article, but I think she's not accounting enough for name recognition, fan voting, and backlash.

ETA: Sk8r1964, the scoring's not cumulative and I believe it's 50-50 judges/audience. The judges scores' could carry Nicole, but only so far. If the voting gets bad enough they would have to start drastically underscoring her nearest competition. That's assuming it's all honest, with no intentional overscoring and vote-count manipulation (how much do you trust ABC?)

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Actually, my favorite of the night was Niecy. Maybe because she's a pleasant surprise where I expected Evan and Nicole to do well. But she is fun and gets totally into the character of the dance.

Evan/Nicole both good, but Evan's feet did bug me and Nicole needed to loosen up her shoulders. Nicole not a 10 yet.

I thought Erin looked totally awkward especially in the arms.

Pam was fine, but her Marilyn Monroe act went on too long and made her look nuts.

Shannen wasn't awful - overmarked and offtime, but she got it back together and got through.

Jake - ok, he is overthinking it and his posture is not good.

Aiden was better than last week, but meh.

Chad was totally clunky and even made Cheryl look clunky.

Buzz just looked like a granddad out there on the dance floor - nothing great, but not painful. Just kinda "awwww."

Kate was the worst I think I have ever seen on this show -- I really think worse than Master P and Monica Seles. Totally painful. So much harder to watch than Buzz.

And I agree with danceronice about the teacher presenting the material in different ways to find one that clicks with the student. Funny, but I didn't think that would be Tony's weakness -- I thought Maks was the just do what I said style of teacher.

17. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I suspect Tony's never run into a student quite like Kate before....

18. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I was worried about Evan doing the jive, but he totally rocked it. And he looked at once ridiculous and totally smokin' in that pompadour. :smokin: I'm really impressed by how well he's doing, and I hope he keeps it going.

I have to say, though, that there's something about Anna that totally bugs me. In a vague way, she reminds me of Oksana Baiul and her desperate, attention seeking ways. Just a tad too much drama in a "look at me" kind of way.

And on a semi-related note, I had always wished that Evan would have done a free skate to an upbeat Broadway program, in part because physically he reminds me so much of Tommy Tune. This number sort of validated that wish for me.

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Nicole doesn't project a warm and fuzzy personality for the home viewing audience. She won't win the audience vote, just like Mya didn't win last season. Not sure if Nicole will even make the final two.

20. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Pam and Evan for the finals :cheer:

Although, I think Evan won't last long. I don't think he'll get a lot of fan support unless every figure skating fan votes like crazy for him.

21. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

I'll support Niecy all the way to the bitter end.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I think Nicole comes across as very likable and not in any way difficult or diva'ish on the show. I even enjoy the sense of humor she displays in the rehearsal footage. It's more low-key than Niecy, whom I also love, but it shows her positive attitude which is something Kate and others are totally lacking. I don't know if it will carry her to the end but I hope she's around for a while. I like her. I think Evan should be scoring much closer to her though. He's doing really, really well and also displaying all the great attributes that got him an Olympic medal. Hard work, focus and a positive attitude.

23. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Whoever decided to have her on the show is probably congratulating themselves. I think she's definitely bringing in viewers -- even if those viewers are tuning in to see her be unpleasant and crash and burn on the dance floor. I doubt Tony has ever taught someone who had so little skill and experience in dance. He probably doesn't know how to teach her, and I don't blame him for being frustrated, though he probably does have to try different teaching approaches with her. And surely he knew how difficult she could be before he ageed to dance with her. It just takes one episode of her show to realize that.

24. GarrAarghHrumph

Ah, now THAT makes sense. I wish that the judges on this show would use this type of age-based judging, because IMO, for an 84 year old man, Buzz is doing quite well, and he shouldn't be judged against people who are 50 years his junior.

My dance teacher knows Tony, so I asked him about what happened last night. He said that Tony is a teacher that students tend to literally adore, and he's taught some "extremely difficult students". In the opinion of my dance teacher, if Tony walked out, something was extremely wrong.

He has taught someone at Kate's level, and recently. At the studio where I take lessons, they have Tony come in quite often and do private lessons, and the dancers he teaches include beginning social dancers of all levels and abilities.

25. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Maybe she gives those people very good reason to "quit on" her. And the most important thing is not that other people quit on her, but that she not quit on herself.

26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Still think Evan has more interesting quality of movement than Nicole. Nicole seems so "prepackaged." She is really, really pretty though! I think they are both front runners.

I think Pam is so much fun! She's not very good, but she definitely creates a character and makes a statement! I will pull for Niecy, but I would be a lot happier with her if she would tone it down. She just wears me out to the point where I want to like her but I just don';t have enough energy!

Kate. is. the. worst. How can one poor woman emanate so much unlikeability?

27. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

You beat me to it, Nicole was WAY overmarked.
    I hope this isn't going to happen all season. It's as if they have already picked her to win and are going to mark her that way no matter how she dances.
    Seriously, 10's for that dance? Give me a break!

28. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

There are other people as bad as Kate out there who are taking dance lessons? :lol: She's really bad. I still think that he needs to adapt his teaching approach if it's not working for her. Different people learn differently. But, really, I think most people would not want to teach Kate.

29. GarrAarghHrumph

A significant number of people who come in for their first lessons are far more like Kate in danceability (if not in temperament) than they are like Evan. I think the average is around a Pam. ;)

But it's the attitude that tends to be different. 99.9% of adults who walk into a ballroom dance studio for their first lessons want to be there, and it tends to show. They're happy, they laugh. Kate looks scared to death. I'd feel bad for her, if she came across as a more likeable person.

And this is from me, who has never seen her show. I'm judging her only based on what I've seen from two episodes of DWTS, and from what I've seen, she's no fun.

30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The buzz at my stylists is that Kate's performance was painfully bad, Buzz is great for a man in his 80s, Pam Anderson is funny and they adore her, Evan has feet issues and should point his toes (they don't think he's all that good), Nicole is awesome but get that some people won't like her. Bachelor, Ochocinco, and soap star can go in any order. After Kate. Erin is good because everybody likes Maks and want him to stay around.