DWTS 3/29

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Mar 30, 2010.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Tony is one of the few pros on the show who has actually competed in Pro-Am. He has probably taught LOTS of beginners!

Oh, Allskate, there are people hired as teachers by franchises with less experience than Kate! Especially men. Remember in Dirty Dancing how Johnny says he was recruited by a guy from Arthur Murray? That's not fiction. Check your local craigslist and there's probably an ad with "no experience necessary." We call them "six-week wonders." (Not to say that FADS and AM don't have extremely talented and qualified people, but as they're franchise studios the quality varies wildly.)

Kate is hardly the least-talented person to ever take lessons. Or even compete. The problem is she's about where the average person on the street SHOULD be after two weeks, while she's up against a lot more physically talented people, is being expected to do Open-level routines, and is doing it on national television.

And they really can't use the pro-am age splits, because ordinarily, you wouldn't compete against each other. (And in fairness, the C division ecompasses age 50+!) You also would generally not have gentleman ams against ladies. This is more like a combined scholarship event with L and G against each other, Open footwork, and all ages! (Closed means sylabus--I dance "closed" bronze (okay, we cheat one step in Cha that's actually silver) meaning I'm not supposed to do any steps that aren't on the Bronze sylabus for a particular dance. Open means you can dance any steps you want so long as they dont' violate general rules about lifts. The stuff on DWTS is Open, and yes, Carrie Anne is being WAY more anal about the lifts than most invigilators at real competitions.)

2. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that many of those adults would also "look scared to death" if they knew that they would in a few weeks be seen on TV by millions of people. :yikes: I actually did feel a bit sorry for Kate because it was clear that she couldn't communicate to Tony how/why what he was attempting to teach her wasn't getting through. It seemed like it was first a basic communication problem that was made worse by her interactional "style" and the way she reacted to Tony's reaction. That said, I really could not watch her dance, because the 10-15 seconds of it I saw were just too embarrassing, even for as unlikeable a personality as Kate seems.

3. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I watched some of this last night and is it just me or does practically every single female "star" on this show have a boob job? :rolleyes:

4. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I would have felt sorry for Kate if she had not chosen the moment the cameras were around to ask him to change. The camera crews are not usually there all day or even every day during practice time. She could have chosen both a better way or a better time.

I doubt it was manufactured by the producers, but she was certainly playing it up for the cameras. I don't think she is without talent or ability when it comes to dancing, but she is without passion or desire. There are those out there who are unteachable because of their general attitude. She seems to be falling in that category.

I'm sure during practice she thinks she is doing well and is ready to compete. Then she sees what the others are doing. Remember she's had to do the same dances as the two front runners (Evan and Nicole). I'm sure that bashes her ego even more when she sees them perform before her. The problem is that I don't think she has the self awareness to realize that maybe she should follow Tony's direction more and try to conform to his style. Instead she's looking sour and acting like she's a victim in it all.

5. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I think it is to keep Pam's company.

6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Dial Idol seems to suggest that Evan is the one with the fewest votes -- I guess we'll see. If so, I'm surprised, because it really can't be based on his dancing. But they also seemed to indicate that Kate had the most votes, which is similarly hard to believe.

7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I can't believe Nicolle didn't have a wardrobe malfunction last night during that jive. :lol: I'm still laughing at Len's comments to Pam.

8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

per Carrie Anne, they are taped in

9. rfisher

It's hardly ever accurate since most people probably vote online. It's way faster.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Evan go relatively early. His lack of audience personality is not helping him.

10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I missed it last night.... and sounds like I missed "Saint Kate" showing her true colors!

11. rfisher

That's some strong tape. I'll bet they could use it on the NASA Shuttles to hold on those loose tiles.

12. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I thought Evan showed a lot of personality last night, especially in the rehearsal footage. He has a somewhat monotone speaking voice which can be a little off-putting, but he seemed much more relaxed and fun last night than during the first week.

13. rfisher

I like him, but my gauge is my stylist who was in love after the Olympics. He's lost some enthusiasm. :shuffle: We'll see how he does, and he's probably the best male dancer, but I'm not certain he's going to get the audience involved. I hope so.

14. bek

bek Guest

Actually here's what one source had to say.

http://www.popeater.com/2010/03/30/kate-gosselin-tony-dancing-fired/

And Tony has had tons of partners who weren't very good and none of this kind of reaction.

15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe everyone is getting on the Kate's hate wagon and is trying to paint her in the worst light possible.

16. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen her show? TLC is not trying to paint her in the worst possible light and she still comes across as treating others (like her husband) as children and as a royal pain the arse.

Is anyone really surprised to hear that Kate is so difficult to work with on DWTS? That's even less surprising to hear than the news that Ricky Martin is gay.

17. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Tom B just tweeted...

18. my little pony

maybe that Dial Idol DWTS prediction wasnt so off after all?

19. DianeO

DianeO New Member

It probably isn't Tony's weakness lol. Kate's problem is that she is a whiny self-entitled egomaniac. She thinks everything should be handed to her on a silver platter without working for it. Now she is in a scenario where work is very necessary and she can't handle it. Not a shock to me.

I hope the DialIdol prediction isn't right. Even if it is, doesn't the judges score count for 50%? Wouldn't that make it impossible for Evan to be in the bottom 2?

20. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

^^ Ditto. I don't think Evan is in the bottom two, because of his scores. By shocking, Tom B. probably means someone like Nicey, Erin, Jake or Kate. (Kate would be shocking to him because didn't she say that the producers had "planned for her to stay awhile?").

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I don't like the sound of that! But it's really weird, if it does refer to Evan. I didn't think "people may be losing a little enthusiasm" would translate to bottom two, at least not this early!

22. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

If Evan is in the bottom two, I think us skate fans need to collectively hit the phones if he stays another week.

23. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I hope it's not Niecy or Pamela. They're fun to watch.

25. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Well, DI only recorded 1496 votes and 93 busy signals. I don't think that's a huge sample. Nearly 40% of the votes/busys were for Buzz, leading me to think the geeks are using the DI software again like they did for Woz.

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

In last week's thread, I linked to a NY Daily News article which said "sekret sources" indicate Kate has been late to the rehearsals and other appointments (hair, wardrobe, makeup) and was dismissive when people tried to talk to her about it.

They also said they expected the worst from Shannen Doherty because of her reputation as being difficult, but that she has been very easy to work with

27. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

First couple safe: Buzz and partner

First couple in the bottom two: Pam and partner!!! :eek:

Oh, MY!!!!!

28. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

WTF???? Buzz isn't in the bottom two, but Pamela Anderson is??? :confused:

I hope Kate Gosslin is the other one in the bottom two and that she goes. No way do I want to see Pamela gone already!

29. my little pony

this show is a lot about your pre existing fanbase, I can see Pam not having much of one although she is more famous than some of the other contestants

30. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I love Pam. I hope she stays.

I tried to vote online last night, but the server was too busy.