Duplicity Dogged Lysacek

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Jun 2, 2010.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

2. Nan

Nan Just me

I think there are a lot of things you don't necessarily share with the people you know in high school. I belonged to several square dance clubs and traveled all over the US with my parents and their friends to attend big gatherings and conventions and none of the kids I went to school with knew anything about it. :sekret:

no one knew I roller skated, either...

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ros01

ros01 New Member

It's too bad he felt like he had to hide it. I hope everyone was supportive after his principal told them! I went to high school with an internationally competitive swimmer, and we all knew and were constant cheerleaders for him. (At the same time, I can see how it might get old being asked about it or just known as the athlete all the time.)

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I taught a girl who was a competitive skater. The other kids didn't really care. It wasn't a school sport and therefore it was meaningless to them. They didn't understand the demands on her or bother to try and understand. Nor did they care about the sport at all. And that response would probably be magnified if it were a boy. You get far more mileage in high school out of being a basketball star that will never play a second beyond the high school level.

I also went to high school with a competitive gymnast who was an alternate for the 1988 Olympic team. Not only did no one make a big deal of it, she seemed to prefer that no one did. She was my biology lab partner and other than sometimes mentioning that she had to get to the gym after school, she didn't want to talk about that or have anyone make a fuss over it.

So I'm not sure Evan was engaged in some big "duplicity". It was probably just how it was.

5. taz'smum

taz'smum Active Member

I'm not sure it's duplicity, just that most skaters realise very early on that other kids aren't really interested in what they do in their 'skating world' as they can't really relate to it. Consequently skaters learn not to talk about it in school.

6. Cosmic Connect

Cosmic Connect New Member

Evan went to Jr. Worlds for the first time at 15 and finished second behind Johnny. It was televised. He was also gone from school for a week. I find it hard to believe no one knew at that point.

7. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet New Member

Jr. Worlds is not the same thing as a Senior level event. Its usually televised on one of the PMS networks which makes it easy to miss.

8. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

And how many 15-year olds watch Lifetime?

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I was also thinking about the time he must have missed - surely his teachers knew about it, and it's a wonder the other kids didn't question it. All the time spent at the rink would have also taken him away from the usual round of social activities.

10. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Many, many,many skaters have said their outside peers didn't know about their skating. Just recently D/W and V/M have said other people at their colleges didn't know.

11. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

In a high school with only about 240 students, the girl I taught would be gone for a week for a competition and classmates would say "oh, yeah, she's gone for something. A trip." A pre-absence slip (used in most high schools for a planned absence so teachers know a kid is going to be gone and can make homework arrangements--they go by different names) usually gets abbreviated down to "out of town" by the attendance office even if parents or the student specifically say where they are going. I recently had a student who would miss because she was on a junior national volleyball team. Her senior class had 21 students total. They didn't really care why she was gone or talk about it.

These are high school kids. Not FSU gatherings :lol:

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Cosmic Connect

My senior year of high school I missed a full week of school with the flu and I returned to a round of questions of where my family went on vacation.

13. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet New Member

I grew up in the same area as Evan and I can tell you that those kids are so self absorbed that they would question you if they thought there was juicy gossip. Attending a competition or having mono is not juicy enough.

14. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I´d suppose the teachers must have known, but that does not mean that they have shared the info with pupils, in my opinion.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Goodness, such a reaction! All I did was note my surprise, based on my own high school experience, that the other kids didn't notice his extended and repeated absences, and guess that the teachers must've known - in my experience, teachers often asked the other kids if they knew why someone was missing, and I'm guessing they would have checked into it further if the absences were extended or repeated frequently.

It was just an observation.

16. REO

REO New Member

Everyone is stepping lightly around the elephant in the room. A boy doing figure skating is not like being a swimmer or a gymnast. He could have taken alot of grief if all the kids knew.

17. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

My son teaches at the high school Evan attended. After the Olympics, he sent me some archival footage of an interview and feature that was done on Evan for the in-house student television station. This was done while Evan was a student, and rebroadcast this year for the current students. It's true that kids that age can be pretty oblivious, but obviously any of them who saw this program knew about Evan's skating at the time. His teachers certainly would have known in advance, because arrangements would have been made for him to do the work he was missing during his absences.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

The article seems to say that for a while, the kids didn't know, but eventually they caught on because the high school principal let the cat out of the bag:

19. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I missed a lot of school when I was growing up and it was such a norm that after a few years, no one asked me why I was absent. I just was.

The year after I graduated, I found out that a guy who had been in my class was a dancer with a local but internationally known dance group and had been for a couple of years. I found out because I saw a photo of him in a newspaper article. I ran into him a while later and told him how surprised and impressed I was, and he said that he never let anyone know in high school because he figured he would have been ragged to death by kids who would have assumed he was gay. What was funny was that everyone I knew already thought he was gay :shuffle:. But he often traveled for dance during high school and always told everyone that he had been on vacation. People thought it was kind of odd that he went on so many vacations, but again, it was such a norm after a while that no one really questioned it.

20. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Bottom line is no one cares. If you don't do something cool that they value or can relate to -- no matter what is -- then it just doesn't register. People are involved in all sorts of extra curriculars, athletic and artistic. Unless you're on the cover of sports illustrated you're just another kid with a hobby. It's not until you're a star that suddenly you're something.

I went to high school with Shania Twain. She was never in class..and no one talked to her when she was around or gave a crap about her until she became a star. Then suddenly we have claimed her as our own and named streets after her. It's the star-struck mentality...

21. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Actually, I wasn't responding to you but to the OP's :rolleyes: comments about duplicity.

And yes, when I first heard skaters, years ago, say that no one knew what they did, it surprised me too. Even as recently as when I read that Tessa Virtue's college class started discussing the psychology of athletes and no one in the room (this was pre-Olympics) knew she was a high-level figure skater.

It is funny that their peers are oblivous to people we practically worship.

I was a serious classical musician in high school who played in good metropolitan orchestras, went to Interlochen for camp, won blue ribbons in state competitions and played in state honors orchestra. My immediate friends, with whom I also did local band, choir and musicals, obviously knew what I did. But if anyone else knew, the violin part just added to my burden of being a glasses-wearing dweeb who took AP classes. :p

22. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Didn't Michelle Kwan say that many students and professors at her college had no idea she was a skater? If that is true, I would say it is very easy to believe that people at Evan's school did not knowhe was when he was 15. Also if he was a quiet nerd maybe no one cared.

23. aymkjb88

aymkjb88 New Member

Evan was an honor roll student throughout his high school years and was on prom court in his senior year (which is a BIG deal in high school). He's obviously a quite popular kid at school.

The duplicity comment is rediculous. He's always a low-key and down to earth kind of person, and he said he enjoys the 'normal' life in school as a student, if he wants to keep his life out of school private, so be it!

D/W also mentioned that not many people on UM campus know who they are, what's wrong with that?

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

There's nothing wrong with it - but unless their campus is really small or they are in a very small program, then there's not much comparison between college and high school in this context.

25. Cosmic Connect

Do you have any idea how huge the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor is? Michael Phelps went relatively incognito there. There are so many different types of students -- part-time, full-time, adults, etc. Easy to blend in.

A small high school in suburban Naperville is not a comparison. All it would take is a couple of people to know and everyone would know.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

But even if someone said, "So, did you know that Evan is a skater?" how many kids would have thought he was a speed skater?

27. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

The use of the term 'Duplicity' in the thread title is beyond the pale! What crap! :rolleyes:

28. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

The high schools in suburban Naperville are NOT small at all. That place is one of the fastest-growing cities in the US. They're all huge and it seems like they're constantly building new ones.

29. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

Hello, Evan is LYING like ALWAYS.:rolleyes:

30. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

:huh: Was the last post tongue-in-cheek??