dumb computer question wireless internet

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by CDANN1013, Jul 24, 2011.

1. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

My destop computer is not wireless ready. However, my laptop is. Do I hook up the wireless modem to my laptop and then move it to my desktop which is my main computer? Will my laptop then work wireless with the modem hooked to the desktop.

Thanks.

Carol

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I think both need to be wireless in order to work wireless

3. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

Does the modem have a place to plug in network cables? Usually you plug the desktop into the modem and then connect to the modem via wireless.

4. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I can help as I use a netstick connected to a wireless router in my case. You hook your modem up to your desktop and then you should be able to get your laptop to find your wireless modem. That's how mine works. You can also just move your device from desktop to laptop as well. When my kids are home, I just hook the wireless router up to my laptop and then we can all get a better signal than off off my desktop.

5. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Good answer, Pat C. I have 2 desktops. The one without wireless is plugged directly into to the modem and the new wireless one is conncected wirelessly. I can't say as I have noticed any speed issues with it but right now while I am just getting the new PC set up I have them side by side so maybe it isn't slower because it is so close to the modem.

6. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Our netstick connects to a cell tower. My laptop is upstairs, and my desktop is downstairs. The signal is weaker on my desktop just because the netstick has to go through more obstructions. So, when we have more devices connecting to it, of course the connection becomes weaker. But I find it faster than an internet satellite dish.

But yes, being closer to the modem would keep the speed up. :)

7. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

Thanks everyone for their help. My laptop can read the wireless modem and it isn't affected by my desktop not being wireless ready.

Carol

8. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Yep, I had exactly the same issue - I plugged the modem into the wifi, then the wifi into my desktop computer. Works like a charm :)