Duggar Family - New season....and now a new courtship!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Sep 18, 2013.

1. mag

mag Well-Known Member

The article says that Jill is the second daughter. Who is the oldest and is she married?

2. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Jana is the oldest girl. She's about 24 I think (she's the twin with Jon-David). Jana is not married.

mag likes this.
  3. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

More articles:

All About Jessa Duggar's New Fiance Ben Seewald

I wonder if they are going to have a quick engagement or if they are going to wait until after Ben finishes college.

The Duggars Have (At Least!) 5 Rules for Relationships

I understand the reasons behind the physical limits that they have in courtship, but I do wonder what's going to happen when one of these 19 kids ends up (at least) kissing before marriage. I think it is likely to happen and I hope that the kid(s) that does it keeps a healthy view afterwards.

4. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

When / if that should happen I am sure it will not be the first rule ever broken and that all will survive. The Duggars seem grounded in their faith and their relationship with one another. They will ask forgiveness and try to do better.

5. becca

becca Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of the whole courtship thing. I am definetely a fan of purity and boundries but I think you need to date to see who you want courtship seems to serious to fast! I read a great article on a girl who was saying how when she spoke about courtship etc her grandma was like but you should be dating! Finally she asked her grandma what she meant years later

Her Grandmother said that in middle school she was allowed to date but her parents had one rule. No two dates in a row with the same guy. So if she went with Bill to the movies she had to go with Bob for ice cream before going with Bill to the dance. It kept relationships from getting to serious or physical too quickly. It seems that was a common rule back in the day. It also meant by the time she was 19 she knew which Bill she wanted to marry.

I must say and I don't watch the show but in the holding hands video Jill and her now hubby look really in love.

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

And I shudder to think what's going to happen when one of them ends up kissing, or wanting to kiss, someone of the same gender. Because with 19 kids, statistically that's more of a "when" than an "if".

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

then we can look forward to a new show chronicling in real(ish) time how gay conversion therapy doesn't work

overedge likes this.
  8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, I know the article you mean. (Only it was a guy instead of a girl.) I liked it too. I particularly liked how he acknowledged that a lot of the courtship advocates tended to think they were the first generation to get any of this stuff right! If your movement is rooted and grounded in arrogance, you might want to rethink things . . .

http://www.thomasumstattd.com/2014/08/courtship-fundamentally-flawed

made_in_canada, Andora and Coco like this.
  9. once_upon

once_upon charming i'm sure

I had a similar rule when dating, I could date the same guy, but never more than 2 times a week and there had to be at least one day in-between the dates. Just meant we went straight to the kissing portion of the date :shuffle:. I don't think that it makes any difference to the "limit boundaries and ensuring purity"

AndyWarhol likes this.
  10. icie

icie Member

11. genevieve

here is the text of her robocall:

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Not surprising.
    I hope the call is "ignored".

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

She could use some more education on the subject or in general…

mag likes this.
  14. BaileyB

BaileyB Active Member

This show just sucks me in...

I really like Jill and Derrick. It seems to me that they are both quite mature and quite taken with each other. I have hope that they will have a good life together - a nice family, some travel and missionary work. They seem very sweet together.

Jessa and Ben... I don't know about these two. They are so young! Both seem quite immature to me and very taken with the attention they are receiving and the idea of a wedding. Something about him bothers me... a little arrogant. I hope I'm wrong, but they worry me.

Michelle and Jim-Bob... She is so condescending! She talks to people like they are all her children (little children) and her voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me. And Jim-Bob, very simple minded. Very interesting duo. I'm curious to see what happens when the older children marry and are not around to care for the children... A whole new season... I'm tuning in:)

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

jessa looks like a runner. ben is her way out.

4rkidz likes this.
  16. BaileyB

BaileyB Active Member

I agree. I also think Ginger is going to head for the big city the moment she can.

But I'm curious about Jana. She's the oldest daughter and still not married. She seems very calm and reserved on camera - lets her sisters have the attention. There are rumors online that she is beginning to develop a relationship with a friend of the family... I think this will be the next announcement.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  17. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I've never got the impression that education is high on the priority list.

made_in_canada likes this.
  18. BaileyB

BaileyB Active Member

And Jill announced this morning on GMA that she is pregnant. Here we go again... that didn't take any time at all...

19. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Well that was fast. I feel sorry for Jill and Derick who will never really get to spend time as a couple without chaperones or a baby.

Michelle's Robot-call is anything but surprising to me. Really, this family is totally despicable. :rolleyes:

Courtship is such BS too.

Veronika likes this.
  20. StitchMonkey

StitchMonkey Member

No, they don't believe in higher education for women. Hell not sure they even believe in college for guys.

21. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Why the intense dislike for the Duggars. They are different, sure. But they are hurting no one. I thought we (as a society) were supposed to appreciate our difference, demonstrate tolerance, etc. When they read in my grandson's kindergarten class "Douggie has two mommies" as a means of helping children understand the complexity and diversity of families, why is the conservative end of the spectrum so disdained?

If movie stars are lauded and applauded for their out of wedlock children (and really, Kim K.....white dress at second wedding with her kid in attendance) why is someone who follows their faith, marries and then get pregnant met with such venom?

Jana is shy. Always has been. I am thrilled for Jill. I am sure she is excited too. My aunt and uncle have been married for 68 years. They met, dated for six months (during which time my uncle drove from Kansas City to Chicago on his motorcycle every other weekend. I assure you they did not sleep together or live together first. They are still madly in love.

All the girls have fulfilling careers. Careers in which they have studied, been mentored, learned and applied that knowledge and skill. (Way better than my degree in English - I can't even spell).

The older kids are volunteer fire fighters. All the kids (except the tiny ones) have gone on mission trips helping people in horrid conditions. They have fought for causes they believe in, traveled to help in campaigns of politicians they support, volunteer in various groups that go into prisons where girls and young women are incarcerated. Jana works with a group that works with girls that are abused, and have no voice.

To say they need a higher education is just silly.
    And, with the commitment, faith, and support this group has, none of their babies will ever be left in a trash can or warehoused in day care. (and don't go off on a whole day care thing. I know, people have to work, ya-da-ya-da).

And as to Michelle's robo-call. Good for her. The entire area of bathrooms and trans-gender is fraught with issues. Not that it can't all be fabulous. But there are evil people in the world, and allowing men to use the little girls room....no bueno for the little girls (potentially).

caseyedwards likes this.
  22. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

they are bigots who cherry pick from the bible and have carbon footprints the size of california thanks to feeding their child army on paper plates

24. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

Sorry, but that yada yada won't stop me from calling you out for such a ridiculous statement.

CassAgain, antmanb, lmarie086 and 7 others like this.
  25. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

To quote from a great movie - "we all deserve to wear white". Even Kim Kardashian. Slut shaming does not make the Duggars look better, and while waiting for marriage might work for some, it's not the only way. If they're all happy with their lives, that's great - I find it odd to announce a pregnancy so early, but that's their business. When they start campaigning against trans people and labeling them child molesters, however, that is not just their business, and it's gross.

That's the extent of my views of the Duggars, since I only know about them from media coverage. Your post is filled with judgmental and hateful crap; should have left it at congrats to the couple and the story about your uncle and aunt.

26. genevieve

That robo-call of Michelle's is hurting transgender folks, and the general population as well. She is actively promoting ignorant and offensive lies, preying on the paranoia of people who are afraid of things they don't understand.

27. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

MLP said it best but to add a bit...

No, not college education isn't for everyone but the Duggars don't even get the choice.

Your day care comment is ridiculous and incredibly judgmental.

Your comment on trans people is incredible ignorant. Transgender people are far more likely to be victims of harassment or abuse if they are forced to use a bathroom that is inconsistent with their gender identity. Michelle's argument is a red herring and nothing more than fear mongering. Trans women *are* women and the men who seek to abuse little girls aren't doing it by going around "pretending" to be women. And I suppose you think little boys can't be abused?

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

29. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

The AUDACITY for her to wear a WHITE dress when she has a kid - really?? :rolleyes: What century are we living in? 'out of wedlock?' That sounds so 1950's - I would think we have moved beyond.

I don't watch the show, but I do occasionally read about the Duggars. I'm pretty sure that my idea of 'an fulfilling career' is somewhat different.

but do they have a choice? Or can they attend Gotthard institute and then go home and be married and have babies? Or can they say no, I want to study Law or Engineering or Medicine or History?
    I am not sure what faith have to do with it. Most babies 'left in trash' are babies from kids that get pregnant and are afraid to tell their faithful, conservative parents, and don't have access to abortion services.
    And yes, I cannot let the ya-da-ya-da thing stand either. A good daycare is in no way 'warehouseing'. My kids are better off in daycare than at home. They get more stimulation, more social interaction, better food and more learning than I could ever do. I don't doubt that some people are excellent at taking care of small babies and toddlers and are very happy as stay at home moms, but I would not be. And my kids and I would be driving each other crazy. And there is no way I would be able to get my oldest to sit still long enough to know his numbers and letters, as he does now. I love my day care, I love the teachers, they are so awesome. My kids can't wait to go there. And it makes it more fun to spend time with them.
    I honestly don't think you can say it is 'better' or not to be in daycare or home with a parent. It depends on the individual personalities and families.

Her robo call is terrible, and shows she knows nothing about trans people. No one is allowing men into girls restrooms. They are allowing women into women's restrooms ( I didn't know that little girls had their own magical bathrooms either... ). Bathrooms and trans-gender is not 'fraught with issues'. People should use the bath room that aligns with their gender, regardless if they got assigned the 'right' or 'wrong' gender at birth.

In all honestly, regardless of anything I don't get the gendered bathrooms in general. If there were no stalls, yes. but there are. Why not a restroom for all genders? you lock the stall door anyway.

30. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The script of Michelle's robocall says essentially that all trans people who want to use the "other" washroom are pedophiles. Not only is that factually wrong, it's also incredibly offensive, and completely ignorant of both transgenderism and pedophilia.