Duggar Family - New season....and now a new courtship!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Sep 18, 2013.

1. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Okay, so I should cedit my post to say "I'd rather see the Duggars having large families....." specifically. They don't bother me, probably due to the fact that my own (Good Roman Catholic) family tree is filled with families with 10, 11, 12 and even 15 children, the vast majority of whom survived to adulthood and produced large broods of their own. I probably wouldn't be here if they hadn't. My personal twig is the exception and I know I have cousins who look at me with sorrow because I am the sole offspring of an only son and thus the end of that branch.

I don't particularly care about the Duggars religious beliefs either. I watch the show casually just to see what they're up to, kind of the same way I check in on panda cams to see how the cubs doing. :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

You may be thinking of kindergeld. A German parent (I don't think there are parental income limits) receives 184 € per child per month for the first two children, 190 € for the third child and 215 € per child thereafter. The child must live at home, be 18or under (or up to 21 if unemployed and at home, and up to 25 if enrolled in school) and can't earn more than about $20,000USD annually. I don't watch the Duggar show but remember thinking Michelle and Bob would be Germany's one-family Greece if they lived in Hamburg.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The Duggar's only have 12 under 18. So on that payment scheme it would be €2,708 monthly, or €32,496 annually- so they'd hit the 20,000 cap.

(Edit: Oh, I just read up to 21 if unemployed. So so that's 15 of the kids. The rest are over 21; but it's moot as they already hit the cap.)

Interesting though that there is an incentive. With the price of college in the US, most people I know are freaking out about even having two...

4. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

First time in my life I'm tempted to use an emoticon laugh, for "only have 12 under 18."

Not at all sure each Duggar kid makes $20k income annually - they'd each have to have a contract in their own name, providing the income to them, not their parents. More likely the money goes to the parents & a portion is set aside in trust for the underaged kids. Plus I doubt each kid would get too much from the show, even with an individual contract.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i thought the duggars didnt pay property taxes because their property is a "church" like scientology

which imo makes them grifters if that is the case

Coco likes this.
  6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

:respec::respec::respec:

Come from another Catholic family.....8, 9, 12....and all of them in Catholic school. As to the other ATI families, I suspect they, like the Duggars, Religious Catholics and Observant Jews sacrifice their "things" for the sake of their beliefs and living what they consider to be a G-d centered life.

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Why are "welfare moms" and the Duggars the only two choices? I get you want to defend parents having that many children, but saying "I rather…than …" it sounds like you're making both of those choices sound less than ideal. It's like saying I rather drink bleach than arsenic.

Anyway, I won't even get into the whole "welfare mom" thing as that is an entirely different and misunderstood issue. As someone said upthread, the Duggars certainly are benefitting from the system off of our backs as well. However, because Michelle Duggar isn't at the Welfare office being shooed away, then she's ok. Right?

8. AxelAnnie

A bit confused here, VIETgirlTerifa - how are the Duggars benefiting from the system off our backs? They pay taxes for schools they are not using, they are self sufficient, and as far as I know, have totally supported themselves from the get go.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I read that as a cap on payments to the parents.

I doubt the kids are making anything, and I wonder if they even have money in trust. Arkansas laws don't require it like California does for reality show kids.

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't know if they are exempted from *all* taxes, but their house is classified as a church because they hold religious services there - or at least IIRC that's what Jim Bob told the IRS when he asked for the home to be reclassified for tax purposes. So they certainly don't pay as much taxes as they would for a regular residence.

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It was a long time ago, but I remember reading an article about Jim Bob's creative mixing of finances and religion which means that not only is their house exempt from taxes because it is claimed as a church, but they don't pay sales tax on anything that goes into the home. I am unsure if that second part is accurate though. Then there are all those child tax credits. Anyway, there's also some economic calculations of the resources all of this kids are taking up that we will eventually pay for, even if the Duggars are directly paying for them or if they are donated by private actors.

I looked up health care cost of the Duggars, and there was some confusion regarding Jim Bob's Health Care provider and whether, as a former elected official from Arkansas, his family's health care was paid by the Arkansas tax payers. However, it seems like he pays for their insurance, except for Josie who ended up on Medicaid due to being premature and in serious health risk. That is unlike that other "famous" family, the Bates. With the Bates, the Patriarch claimed that his family has no health insurance and they go to the ER for all their medical needs. Apparently, the medical costs are written off, so who gets to pay for those procedures?

I'm not usually one who will be quick to criticize people who find cracks in the system and take advantage of them due to a number of reasons, but I don't think it's quite accurate to say that the Duggars or families like them are totally self-sufficient and haven't benefitted from the system at a cost to taxpayers (local or national). At least the kids will pay into social security (assuming that they have jobs where their salary incurs a payroll tax).

12. AxelAnnie

^^ in CA - the tax exemption on your home has to do with property taxes, and not the income taxes that go to pay for schools. Also, you can deduct a portion of your home for an office, I assume that is the same for the Duggar home. I would be surprised if they can deduct their entire property tax.....but then, nothing the government concocts would surprise me.

13. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

A very quick google search reveals that, like many other states as well, Arkansas uses property taxes as their primary school funding.

14. once_upon

once_upon penguins and purple - what else could one want?

15. overedge

According to Wikipedia, he was a state representative for only three years (1999-2002). If his large family is still getting paid health care, or even subsidized health care, 12 years after he last served, I don't know that every taxpayer in Arkansas would be OK with that.

16. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

If the house doubles as a "church," some or all of it could be claimed as tax-exempt. Also, if Jim Bob is ordained as a minister, even if the house is not officially a church, some of the house can be claimed as parsonage, entitling him to a significant tax deduction. I also would not be surprised if a lot of the family's earnings from appearances and books are being funneled through non-profit foundations or a family LLC, which allows them to defer taxes and structure things so much of the income is taxed at the lower capital gains rates.

17. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Parsonages are considered taxable income. They very well may not pay property taxes, but they would have to pay income taxes on the house if it's considered parsonage. And they would have to pay sales tax on anything ever used as personal property--even if those items are also used for church/worship purposes.

18. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

I had to giggle at this confessional:

(Someone): Why is Derick a good match for Jill?
    Jennifer: He's a really good man
    Jordyn: He's handsome
    Jennifer: And Jill wants to marry him
    Jordyn: And he's handsome
    Jennifer: And she loves him
    Jordyn: And he's really really handsome

:lol: you go Jordyn

Well, congrats to the couple and wishing them well.

19. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Technically, it's an exclusion from gross income for the fair rental value of the home from income tax purposes. My mother and stepfather get to declare parsonage due to my stepfather being a rabbi and it results in conisderable tax savings.

AxelAnnie likes this.
  20. once_upon

once_upon penguins and purple - what else could one want?

Having been involved, if only slightly, with pastor compensation packages with include either parsonages or housing allowances, it is a muddy situation on how parsonages and/or housing allowances provided to a pastor is considered income.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc417.html
    https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-too...yment-Taxes/Ministers-and-Taxes/INF12069.html

I would guess that Jim Bob has researched the entire topic and is using the income tax/property tax and to some extent the non-profit sale tax exemptions to the greatest benefit for him and his family.

21. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

So Cousin Amy is going to Nashville to try and be a country singer.

I guess fairly soon we will see Jill's wedding special - I think the wedding is supposed to be this month.

22. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I was going to ask something along the lines of I wonder how they are going to pull off a big wedding in June when I think he only proposed back in April. Then I thought ... silly me, its the Duggars!. :p

23. overedge

The key word being "try" :scream:

Really, for someone who claims to have always wanted to be a singer, she seemed kind of amazed that she would have to do things like make recordings in a recording studio, and learn new songs...

24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Aside from that; they have TLC.

25. ilovepaydays

When Amy made the announcement in front all of the Duggars, I was glad that Jim Bob gave the "you know there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of people in Nashville trying to make it in country music" reality question.

I think what had Amy really surprised was that the recording studio stuff & the learning of new songs would be harder than she thought - and that she would be so criticized about her singing while she did it.

26. overedge

And that with one connection with a producer, no studio experience, and no original material of her own, she thought two weeks in Nashville would be all she needed to establish her career. Umm....

Judging by her singing, if that producer is for real, he might get one novelty/celebrity single out of her. Like that awful song about money that Countess LuAnn had on Real Housewives of NY. Get Amy a song like "I'm a Duggar But My Name Starts with A", milk it for all it's worth, and then everyone can move on to more productive things.

27. ilovepaydays

28. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

29. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Free Jessa!

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member