Duets, Season 1

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, May 25, 2012.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I've discovered the wonder of Netflix and Friday Night Lights. :swoon: Totally forgot it was on tonight. :lol: Who got booted?

2. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Alexis.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Thank geebus, Kelly's contestants survive. Phew!

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think Kelly was thinking of audience votes all along.

5. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

If we boot Robin's other singer next week can he go away from the show? :lol:

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i would turn my chair for that

i dont understand the sekret voting, i think even cinguanta would be impressed by it

7. BigB08822

Anyone watch tonight? They moved it to Wednesday this week (and next week, is this a permanent move?) at an odd time so I expect the ratings tomorrow to be just awful.

I thought it was an OK week but no one really stood out. Party Songs usually come across very karaoke and that is what I felt tonight. Jason really turned it up and I was shocked he was still almost in the bottom 2. I thought he was much better than Jordan and some of the others.

I feel 99% sure that the only reason Meleana want home was because they wouldn't eliminate a judge's contestants out back to back before anyone else went home. That would mean Robin would just be sitting there each week from here on out with nothing to do.

I missed having the judges do a number. I love when they open the show with that. I hope they go back to that.

I think Kelly's contestants (Jason, specifically) will do so much better when it goes to America's vote. He is the only cute guy on the show and he can appeal to the tween girls and the soccer moms and grandmas because he is so darn cute. I don't know if next week is the beginning of voting or the last episode before voting so I hope he can survive one more week to be sure.

J Rome actually did stand out, so I should correct myself from saying earlier that no one did. He is just too darn good. If anyone else wins then I will think the fix is in. Of course I want one of Kelly's people to win but he is so damn good in every possible way. He can sing with the best of them and his performance and dancing abilities are completely unmatched. I hate to say this but if he were better looking he would probably already be quite famous.

8. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

J Rome is my fav so far but last night I thought John outdid him. I would have had in in 1st...I couldn't believe 3rd. I like J Rome & John much more than Jason. I don't care about cute. My favorite girl is the redhead now. I find the other girls too generic & unoriginal.

I didn't care who went home as I thought both of them did badly. I did feel bad for Meleana though because I thought the song choice doomed her.

9. LuckyCharm

I completely forgot about the time slot change. Thank goodness for DVR.

One thing I like about this show is that we've seen some genuinely sexy performances. Last night there were JRome & Jennifer, Bridget & John, even Olivia & Robin. Hot, hot, and hot. It's one of the reasons that I preferred JRome's performance to John's. John and JRome are my definite favorites. I someone on Team Jennifer doesn't win this I'll be very shocked. My favorite girl is Bridget, although Jordan is improving each week. However, I don't find Jordan any more interesting or original than the others. Then there's something gentle and vulnerable about Olivia that makes me want to root for her.

I wasn't crazy about Melana from the start, and thought John should have picked the guy that he chose her over in the audition. I can't say I'm sorry to see her go, but I can't help but think she was sacrificed in order to keep Robin's only remaining contestant. I thought both girls did better singing for their lives than they did in their regular performances, but they both chose songs that just don't work that well without the music. "I Can't Make You Love Me" is full of vocal pauses that are very awkward without music to fill the space.

:yawn: at Jason's so-called cuteness. John is adorable and always lights up the room. JRome's nose is weird and his mole can be distracting, but his eyes and smile are gorgeous. When he performs, almost feel like removing my undergarments and flinging them at my television. I wouldn't mind getting my party on with either of them. Jason is sweet and has a pretty voice, but he's just not on par with the rest of this group, and I don't think it's all about lack of experience. I think he just doesn't have the proverbial "It."

10. BigB08822

I never said Jason was hot, I only said cute. I know that is subjective but I find it hard to believe that you can't see how someone would think he is cute. Maybe adorable would be a better word? I mean cute in a cheek pinching sort of way, not in a :grope: sort of way.

11. LuckyCharm

I knew what you meant and I wasn't disputing it. He's obviously a nice looking young man. I think you're right in that he could get a lot of votes from a particular segment of the audience. I was just saying that he does nothing for me. I'm all about the :grope:.:p

12. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I agree about JRome's mole. Very off-putting IMO. I wish he would have it removed.

13. LuckyCharm

Did you guys watch?

Edited because I don't know what I was smoking the first time I watched. Dear Old Mom and I got into such a heated argument about Jason's awfulness that I actually went back and watched it again. I think the first time, I was focusing so much on Kelly that I didn't realize how poorly Jason sang. He did step it up at the end, but getting there was weak. He belonged in the B2. Either Olivia or Jordan belonged there with him. I still think the fix was in for Jordan to go home no matter what.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  14. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Kelly and Jennifer are incredible performers. I find myself focusing on Kelly when she sings with her partners so think Jason will go soon. With Jennifer, her partners actually make me pay attention to them as well as Jennifer!

15. BigB08822

Was I the only person in absolute disbelief that Olivia wasn't in the Bottom 2? I couldn't believe it. I think it is more than fair that Jordan went home but Olivia's performance was a joke. She must have only sang 4 words by herself, Robin completely took over and sang on top of her the entire song (smart, though). I have never seen a singer who sings so flat so often as Olivia. It's like she can't help but to sing flat. I don't think it mattered what she did this week, though, they weren't going to eliminate Robin before going to the live shows and I think that was probably the right choice. It isn't as if Jordan was going to win this show, anyway. I have a feeling Olivia will be first to go followed by Jason then John's partner with Jennifer having both final 2 contestants, as she should. Anyone besides J. Rome winning is a joke but it wont surprise me to see the white guy win this show over the black guy, if it comes down to those two.

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

my favorite is john glossen by far. i cant sit through the whole thing because too many contestants arent good and robin thicke is a smug tool.

17. BigB08822

One thing I love about this show is that, yes, some of the contestants aren't very good but they are paired with exceptional professionals. I can enjoy every performance for the most part because of the celebrity partners (minus Robin Thicke, I can't stand his constant singing in falsetto or his douchebaggery)

18. BigB08822

The show is live tonight. So far Jennifer has gone with her first partner (not J Rome) and Robin went with his partner. Robin's partner, Olivia, is just so incredibly weak. If she doesn't go home then it must be because someone else had a truly awful performance.

19. BigB08822

Is Jennifer Nettles going to have to go last every week since she will be the only one with 2 contestants for another week or so? She keeps selecting J Rome to go last, I would be a little ticked if I was the other guy. She seems to really be saying who is her favorite...not that I blame her for her choice but I would be fair to them and alter who gets to go first and last.

20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

And it's on. Am I the only one watching? :shuffle:

Thicke is now without a performer. I'm thrilled, less smarm on the show.

Can we vote off the host?

21. LuckyCharm

Just tuning in in time to see Jen/Jon. What'd I miss?

22. BigB08822

Great show. Jennifer Nettles and Kelly Clarkson better duet before the show is over. I will be so pissed if they never pair them up. Two women and two men can still do great duets, it doesn't have to always be a man/woman combo.

If you are voting for Jon or Jason, please pay close attention to their numbers. Jon went 3rd in the lineup but his number ends with 5004 and Jason went 4th but his number is the 5003. This will only affect phone voting but it was a really odd choice to do that. I am sure plenty of people will call the wrong number.

23. BigB08822

He hasn't bothered me...until tonight. He was not very good at the live elimination, at all. They should just record that about an hour or so before the show and make it seem live then go live after they come back from break after the elimination. It was a little awkward. If they did record it a little before then shame on them for keeping it so weird. Ryan Seacrest really is good at what he does, even if he can be annoying.

24. LuckyCharm

Show's starting. Does anyone still give a damn?

Stars sound great opening the show with The Temptations' "Get Ready." Love this song. Not sure of the reason for the awkward lyric changes.

ETA: Jason sent to safety and Bridget in bottom 2, joined by John. JRome safe.

Bridget gone. I'll actually miss her.

JRome doing "Breakeven." This song needs to be shot and buried in a mass grave with "Rolling In The Deep" and everything by Beyonce. He's magnificent though. He really can sing anything.

Jason doing "Me and Mrs. Jones." Love the suit. Decent performance. I have to give him credit for improving each week.

John doing "The Prayer." Another tune that deserves the firing squad. He does well though, hopefully well enough to stay.

Solo performances up next.

JRome: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered." Hot!
    John: "God Bless the Broken Road." Beautiful.
    Jason: "Runaway Baby." Awkward.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  25. BigB08822

I am so glad Jason is still in it and looking like he has a shot to make the final 2!

The format of this show is so awkward. I am not sure why solo performances are being voted on in a show called Duets.

I can't believe this is the final night of voting. That seems rather...sudden. I was hoping it would go to a Final 2 and then those performances would be what decides the winner.

I do think Jason could finish 2nd based on tonight. John was rather lackluster even though his solo was nice. Jason brought the house down and was really smart to chose a final song that didn't rely on vocals. I didn't find it awkward but maybe because I am used to his awkwardness now.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  26. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Can't believe that Jason is still standing. He still pales in comparison to the other 2. Who has been voting for him??? He's not even that good looking or cute, just average. But I guess compared to the other 2, I guess he's considered the slightly more attractive of the 3. Is he the Nikki McKibbin of Duets? He better not win.

27. BigB08822

He is not nearly that bad. His tone is my favorite of anyone on the show, he just has the most work to do. His potential is greater than anyone, vocally, IMO. I have been voting for him because I wanted to continue hearing Kelly sing every week. Plain and simple. So have MANY of her other fans. It is just another problem with the format of the show. Perhaps it would be a little more fair if the contestants alternated through the superstars?

28. BigB08822

The finale is tonight. I am cheering on J Rome for the win but wouldn't be horribly upset if Jason won just because Kelly Clarkson is his mentor.

Starts in 30 minutes, anyone going to watch?

29. LuckyCharm

I'm taking a break from obsessive Olympic speculation to watch. I wonder why the earlier eliminated people don't get to perform. Could they really not make time for that? On the AI finale, it's like every person who competed on the show ever gets to perform.

30. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Not too shocked at J.Rome winning. He's had it in the bag since week one. :lol:

Wonder if it'll come back next season?