Duets, Season 1

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, May 25, 2012.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Oddly, I couldn't find a reason why on a quick google search. He was really good. Too bad.
  2. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

^Very strange indeed.

Kelly and Jason singing "Whenever You Call" by Mariah Carey and Brian McKnight. Not sure why I'm still doing PBP. Old habits die hard.
  3. rfisher

Kelly's boy isn't going to last. Sorry, Kelly.
  4. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'm here. :lol:

Didn't think John's new girl did that well. Surprised he didn't go with the guy.

Kelly picked wrong, both of her people aren't that strong.

Olivia can go home now.
  5. LuckyCharm

Seems like Kelly's approach was different from the rest. Her partners are more diamonds in the rough, while the others picked folks that were pretty much ready for prime time.

I would have picked the guy for John as well. I wasn't crazy about their version of "Endless Love."

Jennifer and J Rome doing "The One That I Want," from Grease. Should be interesting...

ETA: It's either ridiculously awesome or awesomely ridiculous! I can't decide. The vocals are great in either case.
  6. rfisher

J Rome really is the best. We were dancing around the room. That is one of my Poodles and I were dancing around the room.
  7. LuckyCharm

He's tied for 1st with Meleana.
  8. LuckyCharm

Robin and Alexis to do "You're All I Need To Get By" by Marvin and Tammy.

Alexis sounds good. But her dress is fugly and her movement is seriously awkward.

My mom can't stop ragging on Robin's hair. She keeps calling it his "conk.":rofl:
  9. rfisher

PML Kelly was really sweet and complimentary to every singer last week until both of her's ended at the bottom. She's being a little more competitively snarky tonight.
  10. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Wow, that last song was quite badly sung and arranged. Anyone who remembers Kelly doing the song from Idol would have a very hard listening to this version. :scream: Nobody truly blew me away tonight but JRome was great considering the song.
  11. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

How did Alexis make top 3 last week? And where did that hair come from? :lol:

I love Jennifer Nettles. She's snarky and WOW there's a set of chops on her. Of course, I've been a fan since "Baby Girl".

Who is Quddus and can we vote him off somehow?
  12. LuckyCharm

India, most likely.;)

So, next week there will be an elimination.
    dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I saw a lot of improvement from Kelly's people but she picked people who need way too much work and lack experience far more than the others. The girl was doing absolutely great until the end when she just chickened out on the big notes. I'm still thinking she is the weakest singer of the bunch, Kelly needs to be very very careful with song choices for her from now on. Robin Thicke's first parter was absolutely awful this week. Yikes. Love the new girl John Legend got, what a catch. Curious what happened to the guy he had. J Rome is so far and beyond everyone else that I can't imagine anyone else deserving to win. He can sing and he can perform.
  14. BigB08822

That was pretty great but I didn't know the song. I guess next week Jennifer and John will perform. :blah: :lol: I want a Kelly performance every week. Let her do a solo! :lol:
  15. BigB08822

Because I needed to hear it myself again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-VjSPL14U

Not saying it is the best ever version of the song but she made it work for her voice, that is for sure. I didn't like how Robin and his partner stayed in falsetto. I felt like the girl could really have let go on the song.
  16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i've decided he's a tool and also very impressed with himself
  17. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Well I am. :cheer: Kelly's version of everything she did on Idol is the best version- IMO not a single performance of hers was subpar- that girl is like magic!

I'm glad she appropriately criticized the awful performance of YAIN last night- sorry to Robin and his girl but that was downright fecking terrible.

Thanks for the link! :kickass:
  18. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

Who is Paula?

I love the song but the girl was off-key most of the song. Some of it sounded ok when they sang alone but when she started doing harmony I cringed.

I thought they were boring. And Robin is definitely the weak link "superstar". The other 3 are fantastic singers...I have a new respect for Jennifer & John...I already knew Kelly was great, but IMO Robin is so-so. Without his connections I don't think we would have ever heard of him.
  19. LuckyCharm

20. LuckyCharm

Has everyone given up on this show already?

I just got home so I've only seen Bridget and John singing "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." Apparently the first elimination is coming up. Alexis and Jason will both sing for their life.

ETA: And the save songs have to be done a capella. This is way hardcore.

Jason does "Me and Mrs. Jones." Not bad, but kinda whiny.

Alexis does "Natural Woman." I bet Alexis gets through. The judges haven't been crazy about Jason in previous weeks, and Alexis is nailing her song.

ETA: Next week's show will be moved to Wednesday for some reason.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  21. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I've discovered the wonder of Netflix and Friday Night Lights. :swoon: Totally forgot it was on tonight. :lol: Who got booted?
  22. LuckyCharm

Alexis.
  23. BigB08822

Thank geebus, Kelly's contestants survive. Phew!
  24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think Kelly was thinking of audience votes all along.
  25. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

If we boot Robin's other singer next week can he go away from the show? :lol:
  26. my little pony

i would turn my chair for that

i dont understand the sekret voting, i think even cinguanta would be impressed by it
  27. BigB08822

Anyone watch tonight? They moved it to Wednesday this week (and next week, is this a permanent move?) at an odd time so I expect the ratings tomorrow to be just awful.

I thought it was an OK week but no one really stood out. Party Songs usually come across very karaoke and that is what I felt tonight. Jason really turned it up and I was shocked he was still almost in the bottom 2. I thought he was much better than Jordan and some of the others.

I feel 99% sure that the only reason Meleana want home was because they wouldn't eliminate a judge's contestants out back to back before anyone else went home. That would mean Robin would just be sitting there each week from here on out with nothing to do.

I missed having the judges do a number. I love when they open the show with that. I hope they go back to that.

I think Kelly's contestants (Jason, specifically) will do so much better when it goes to America's vote. He is the only cute guy on the show and he can appeal to the tween girls and the soccer moms and grandmas because he is so darn cute. I don't know if next week is the beginning of voting or the last episode before voting so I hope he can survive one more week to be sure.

J Rome actually did stand out, so I should correct myself from saying earlier that no one did. He is just too darn good. If anyone else wins then I will think the fix is in. Of course I want one of Kelly's people to win but he is so damn good in every possible way. He can sing with the best of them and his performance and dancing abilities are completely unmatched. I hate to say this but if he were better looking he would probably already be quite famous.
  28. taf2002

J Rome is my fav so far but last night I thought John outdid him. I would have had in in 1st...I couldn't believe 3rd. I like J Rome & John much more than Jason. I don't care about cute. My favorite girl is the redhead now. I find the other girls too generic & unoriginal.

I didn't care who went home as I thought both of them did badly. I did feel bad for Meleana though because I thought the song choice doomed her.
  29. LuckyCharm

I completely forgot about the time slot change. Thank goodness for DVR.

One thing I like about this show is that we've seen some genuinely sexy performances. Last night there were JRome & Jennifer, Bridget & John, even Olivia & Robin. Hot, hot, and hot. It's one of the reasons that I preferred JRome's performance to John's. John and JRome are my definite favorites. I someone on Team Jennifer doesn't win this I'll be very shocked. My favorite girl is Bridget, although Jordan is improving each week. However, I don't find Jordan any more interesting or original than the others. Then there's something gentle and vulnerable about Olivia that makes me want to root for her.

I wasn't crazy about Melana from the start, and thought John should have picked the guy that he chose her over in the audition. I can't say I'm sorry to see her go, but I can't help but think she was sacrificed in order to keep Robin's only remaining contestant. I thought both girls did better singing for their lives than they did in their regular performances, but they both chose songs that just don't work that well without the music. "I Can't Make You Love Me" is full of vocal pauses that are very awkward without music to fill the space.

:yawn: at Jason's so-called cuteness. John is adorable and always lights up the room. JRome's nose is weird and his mole can be distracting, but his eyes and smile are gorgeous. When he performs, almost feel like removing my undergarments and flinging them at my television. I wouldn't mind getting my party on with either of them. Jason is sweet and has a pretty voice, but he's just not on par with the rest of this group, and I don't think it's all about lack of experience. I think he just doesn't have the proverbial "It."
  30. BigB08822

I never said Jason was hot, I only said cute. I know that is subjective but I find it hard to believe that you can't see how someone would think he is cute. Maybe adorable would be a better word? I mean cute in a cheek pinching sort of way, not in a :grope: sort of way.
  31. LuckyCharm

I knew what you meant and I wasn't disputing it. He's obviously a nice looking young man. I think you're right in that he could get a lot of votes from a particular segment of the audience. I was just saying that he does nothing for me. I'm all about the :grope:.:p
  32. taf2002

I agree about JRome's mole. Very off-putting IMO. I wish he would have it removed.
  33. LuckyCharm

Did you guys watch?

Edited because I don't know what I was smoking the first time I watched. Dear Old Mom and I got into such a heated argument about Jason's awfulness that I actually went back and watched it again. I think the first time, I was focusing so much on Kelly that I didn't realize how poorly Jason sang. He did step it up at the end, but getting there was weak. He belonged in the B2. Either Olivia or Jordan belonged there with him. I still think the fix was in for Jordan to go home no matter what.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  34. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Kelly and Jennifer are incredible performers. I find myself focusing on Kelly when she sings with her partners so think Jason will go soon. With Jennifer, her partners actually make me pay attention to them as well as Jennifer!
  35. BigB08822

Was I the only person in absolute disbelief that Olivia wasn't in the Bottom 2? I couldn't believe it. I think it is more than fair that Jordan went home but Olivia's performance was a joke. She must have only sang 4 words by herself, Robin completely took over and sang on top of her the entire song (smart, though). I have never seen a singer who sings so flat so often as Olivia. It's like she can't help but to sing flat. I don't think it mattered what she did this week, though, they weren't going to eliminate Robin before going to the live shows and I think that was probably the right choice. It isn't as if Jordan was going to win this show, anyway. I have a feeling Olivia will be first to go followed by Jason then John's partner with Jennifer having both final 2 contestants, as she should. Anyone besides J. Rome winning is a joke but it wont surprise me to see the white guy win this show over the black guy, if it comes down to those two.
  36. my little pony

my favorite is john glossen by far. i cant sit through the whole thing because too many contestants arent good and robin thicke is a smug tool.
  37. BigB08822

One thing I love about this show is that, yes, some of the contestants aren't very good but they are paired with exceptional professionals. I can enjoy every performance for the most part because of the celebrity partners (minus Robin Thicke, I can't stand his constant singing in falsetto or his douchebaggery)
  38. BigB08822

The show is live tonight. So far Jennifer has gone with her first partner (not J Rome) and Robin went with his partner. Robin's partner, Olivia, is just so incredibly weak. If she doesn't go home then it must be because someone else had a truly awful performance.
  39. BigB08822

Is Jennifer Nettles going to have to go last every week since she will be the only one with 2 contestants for another week or so? She keeps selecting J Rome to go last, I would be a little ticked if I was the other guy. She seems to really be saying who is her favorite...not that I blame her for her choice but I would be fair to them and alter who gets to go first and last.
  40. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

And it's on. Am I the only one watching? :shuffle:

Thicke is now without a performer. I'm thrilled, less smarm on the show.

Can we vote off the host?