Duets, Season 1

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, May 25, 2012.

1. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Week 2 is underway...

The theme is "Classic Duets."

John and Bridget up first, doing "I Knew You Were Waiting" by Aretha Franklin and George Michael.

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Brian are you hyperventilating after that duet between Kelly and Robin?

3. LuckyCharm

Bridget looks hot in her 80s retro outfit. I think this is a good song for her. She has a nice stage presence, and she and John have pretty good chemistry. Her voice reminds me of Toni Braxton.

Jennifer's vest is awesome. Very positive feedback from the judges (or whatever they are.) Robin flirting, not surprisingly.

4. LuckyCharm

Kelly and Jordan to do "Misery" by Pink (f. Steven Tyler?)

Pretty good feedback. A few small criticisms of her vocal. John also advises her not to use her duet partner as a crutch.

She is ranked behind Bridget.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. LuckyCharm

Jennifer and John doing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." Sweet.

6. rfisher

Jennifer really does have the top 2 singers so far. Both of them are really good.

7. LuckyCharm

You and I agree, and apparently we're the only ones watching. I hope this thread isn't reflective of the overall ratings of the show. I really think they should have put this on Monday. They could have snagged much of the DWTS/The Voice audience.

Jennifer is hilarious. So is Robin, actually. They both basically have no shame. Kelly and John are like the straight men in this group, but they're adorable.

8. rfisher

Yeah. They should have. The talent is really good and the concept is cool.

9. LuckyCharm

Robin and Olivia doing "Where Is the Love" by Donny Hathaway and Robert Flack. She's never heard the song before. Robin waxes poetic
    about Paula.

Olivia's vocal pleasant but a bit weak. Quite a few pitch issues, especially on the chorus. I love this song.

Pretty nice comments form the judges, but they seem to think the song choice was wrong. They rank her last anyway.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  10. LuckyCharm

For some reason, Johnny Gray quit the show and John had to find a new partner at the last minute.

11. rfisher

Oddly, I couldn't find a reason why on a quick google search. He was really good. Too bad.

12. LuckyCharm

^Very strange indeed.

Kelly and Jason singing "Whenever You Call" by Mariah Carey and Brian McKnight. Not sure why I'm still doing PBP. Old habits die hard.

13. rfisher

Kelly's boy isn't going to last. Sorry, Kelly.

14. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'm here. :lol:

Didn't think John's new girl did that well. Surprised he didn't go with the guy.

Kelly picked wrong, both of her people aren't that strong.

Olivia can go home now.

15. LuckyCharm

Seems like Kelly's approach was different from the rest. Her partners are more diamonds in the rough, while the others picked folks that were pretty much ready for prime time.

I would have picked the guy for John as well. I wasn't crazy about their version of "Endless Love."

Jennifer and J Rome doing "The One That I Want," from Grease. Should be interesting...

ETA: It's either ridiculously awesome or awesomely ridiculous! I can't decide. The vocals are great in either case.

16. rfisher

J Rome really is the best. We were dancing around the room. That is one of my Poodles and I were dancing around the room.

17. LuckyCharm

He's tied for 1st with Meleana.

18. LuckyCharm

Robin and Alexis to do "You're All I Need To Get By" by Marvin and Tammy.

Alexis sounds good. But her dress is fugly and her movement is seriously awkward.

My mom can't stop ragging on Robin's hair. She keeps calling it his "conk.":rofl:

19. rfisher

PML Kelly was really sweet and complimentary to every singer last week until both of her's ended at the bottom. She's being a little more competitively snarky tonight.

20. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Wow, that last song was quite badly sung and arranged. Anyone who remembers Kelly doing the song from Idol would have a very hard listening to this version. :scream: Nobody truly blew me away tonight but JRome was great considering the song.

21. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

How did Alexis make top 3 last week? And where did that hair come from? :lol:

I love Jennifer Nettles. She's snarky and WOW there's a set of chops on her. Of course, I've been a fan since "Baby Girl".

Who is Quddus and can we vote him off somehow?

22. LuckyCharm

India, most likely.;)

So, next week there will be an elimination.

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I saw a lot of improvement from Kelly's people but she picked people who need way too much work and lack experience far more than the others. The girl was doing absolutely great until the end when she just chickened out on the big notes. I'm still thinking she is the weakest singer of the bunch, Kelly needs to be very very careful with song choices for her from now on. Robin Thicke's first parter was absolutely awful this week. Yikes. Love the new girl John Legend got, what a catch. Curious what happened to the guy he had. J Rome is so far and beyond everyone else that I can't imagine anyone else deserving to win. He can sing and he can perform.

24. BigB08822

That was pretty great but I didn't know the song. I guess next week Jennifer and John will perform. :blah: :lol: I want a Kelly performance every week. Let her do a solo! :lol:

25. BigB08822

Because I needed to hear it myself again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-VjSPL14U

Not saying it is the best ever version of the song but she made it work for her voice, that is for sure. I didn't like how Robin and his partner stayed in falsetto. I felt like the girl could really have let go on the song.

26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i've decided he's a tool and also very impressed with himself

27. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Well I am. :cheer: Kelly's version of everything she did on Idol is the best version- IMO not a single performance of hers was subpar- that girl is like magic!

I'm glad she appropriately criticized the awful performance of YAIN last night- sorry to Robin and his girl but that was downright fecking terrible.

Thanks for the link! :kickass:

28. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Who is Paula?

I love the song but the girl was off-key most of the song. Some of it sounded ok when they sang alone but when she started doing harmony I cringed.

I thought they were boring. And Robin is definitely the weak link "superstar". The other 3 are fantastic singers...I have a new respect for Jennifer & John...I already knew Kelly was great, but IMO Robin is so-so. Without his connections I don't think we would have ever heard of him.

29. LuckyCharm

30. LuckyCharm

Has everyone given up on this show already?

I just got home so I've only seen Bridget and John singing "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." Apparently the first elimination is coming up. Alexis and Jason will both sing for their life.

ETA: And the save songs have to be done a capella. This is way hardcore.

Jason does "Me and Mrs. Jones." Not bad, but kinda whiny.

Alexis does "Natural Woman." I bet Alexis gets through. The judges haven't been crazy about Jason in previous weeks, and Alexis is nailing her song.

ETA: Next week's show will be moved to Wednesday for some reason.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012