Dropping Like Flies!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

a cancellation of the season for too few competitors????

3. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

No, D/J? UGH. I liked them. Last year, I remember thinking about how much potential they had. :(

4. sk9tingfan

I agree. It made me sad. :(

5. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

What happened to Brezina? Is he out for long?

6. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

D/J split already? Why can't our US Pairs stay together?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I think it's because pairs isn't our strongest discipline and every pairs skater wants to be the one to change that.

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that Steenberg is out for the season, but he's right, mono can take months and months to get over. I hope he's able to do really well in school this year and come back strong next season.

With respect to Brezina, I've been wondering if the translated "varicose veins" might really have been an abdominal aneurysm?

10. sk9tingfan

I doubt if it was an abdominal aneurysm, it would have involved the aorta, and that's not something that you get over in two weeks. However, what concerns me is that sometimes, when someone has some abnormalities that involve veins,etc., it may be indicative of other arterial/venous malformations elsewhere.

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I wonder if Dobbs' success at Four Continents has made her focus more on her singles skating.

It does seem that many US Pairs have skaters that also compete in singles. Is that common outside North America (haven't there been a few Canadian ladies who do both on the senior level as well)?

12. Snowgirl

Snowgirl New Member

In Russia it is not common. Once you switch to pairs, you compete only in pairs.

13. fogerty

fogerty New Member

From the icenetwork article...
    "He decided a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to take a break from competitive skating, which is kind of disappointing and sad for me," she said. "I really enjoyed skating with him. I already miss pairs and it's only been three weeks. After nationals I want to see what I can do and if the opportunity presents itself I want to try it again."

Makes it sound like it was his decision...not hers?

14. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I hope Brezina will recover quickly. I was really looking forward to seeing how he progressed this season.

And I'm sorry that Steenburg will be out, but he sounds like he is making the most of it by using his extra time for studies and dance.

15. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I was about to post the same thing. He may legitimately want to retire.

16. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Each to his own, but I wouldn't want a partner who divided their time between two different disciplines.

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Well, that was what I was wondering - if Jacobsen decided he didn't want to deal with the accommodations of her singles training. But I would hope he'd try to find another partner if that was the case, not retire.

18. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

He was injured for a while in the summer (I read about that while she was at Champs Camp). Maybe he just decided that he was tired of it.

19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Aw, that's too bad about Dobbs/Jacobsen. Too bad she's as tall as she is. . . Drew is still partnerless!

Good luck to Evan in his recovery! Cracks me up that he was all worried about toe point :) (actually, ankle bend will probably be more difficult to regain)

20. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Yeah I could see that being an issue. With Champs Camp and multiple international assignments for singles, Dobbs is away for several days at a time. Then there's the whole fatigue factor. That could be frustrating for a partner.

Wasn't he in a car accident? I think that was a reason given why they were struggling so much in Indy... Maybe he hasn't fully recovered from that. That rough outing prevented them from getting an international assignment. On top of that, Jacobsen hasn't ever had a side by side triple and Dobbs is quite tall for pairs... Maybe he received a good offer to do show skating that was just too hard to turn down. It's unfortunate to see, but they could always re-team if he wanted to compete again some day.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Also, I see this as a plus for Amanda. She's really very talented, and this will give her more time to focus on singles (instead of dividing her time/attention between two disciplines) and really propel herself forward as a singles skater.