Drew Meekins

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by hippychick, Dec 6, 2011.

1. hippychick

hippychick New Member

I noticed that Drew Meekins is no longer listed on ice partner search. Does anyone know if he has found a partner? Would be great to see him skating pairs again.
  2. winterone

winterone Banned Member

I suspect Drew has had many optys to partner. I'm thinking he decided to be a journalist.
  3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

When did Drew last skate competively? He may have decided enough time has passed and moved on? I do like his blogs so maybe there are options for him :)
  4. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I'll be sorry not to see him skate again, but he must have assessed all his options.

Good luck to Drew in his future endeavours.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Intesting. I wonder if Drew's looking to do some pro skating.
  7. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I saw Drew Meekins at Nats several times, usually hanging out with Caitlin Y. I guess the two of them wouldn't be a viable team? I did notice on Drew's bio that he's 5'11", which is pretty standard for a male pairs skater. And Caitlin is not big.
  8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Last time he competed was, I think, November 2009--sectionals. He and Jessica Rose Paetsch broke up just a few weeks before 2010 Nationals, if I remember correctly.

Would love to see him competing again, or just SKATING. He's got lovely lines and presentation--even if he doesn't want to compete, I'm sure plenty of shows or cruise ships would love to have him.
  9. madm

madm Active Member

Drew had shoulder surgery two months ago and is still recovering. He and Caitlin are good friends from years living in the Boston area. Drew may return to competition if his shoulder heals well. He is not a really big guy and Caitlin is fairly tall for a pair girl (5'3"), so it would be a stretch for them to skate together. They both have beautiful balletic qualities though.
  10. isamelia

isamelia Member

Did you see the Sarah & Drew Best Dressed Blog with the 9 minute video of Drew acting as stylist for Tom Z at Banana Republic in San Jose? It is priceless! Drew really is multi-talented. Tom Z was a good sport and really looked like he was learning and enjoying himself.
  11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Her ISU bio says she's 1.58m tall. So that works out to a little over 20 cm height difference; hardly unprecedented, and there have been pairs who (at least officially) had an even smaller height difference - most notably, Shen and Zhao (1.60/1.77, per their ISU bio).

Whether they would be a good match in other ways, I have no idea.
  12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

She Zhang has gotten pretty tall compared to He Zhang.
  13. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

14. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto New Member

Caitlin and Drew have been really really good friends for such a long time. If they think they're a good fit for each other, they would have paired up long time ago..

btw, is Tracy Tanovich still looking for a partner or still skating? i remember watching her skate with Mike Chau, such a talent! Maybe she can try with Drew? or is she too tall?
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

FWIW, Tanovich currently isn't listed on icepartnersearch. She placed 8th in Junior Ladies at South Atlantic Regionals this past October, coached by Richard Callaghan and Todd Eldredge. 2A and 3Lo are the hardest jumps she attempted/landed, but I don't know how consistent they are in competition for her.

The video link is in the article's Related Content box: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120201&content_id=26536686&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012