Dream Jobs OTHER Than athletes, actors/actresses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

It would be wonderful to win the Oscar or the Olympics but if you exempt being the star athlete and being the star onscreen what is your dream job?

My dream job is to make movie trailers. I love them and feel cheated if I'm late to a film and miss the previews.

Et Vous?

2. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Occupational therapist working with children. I wish that I had known about this profession when I was in school, it would have suited me to a "T". I could go back to school, but that is not that financially feasible at the moment. Also, it is a two year masters program and none of the three universities around us offer the program. So, I would have to travel quite a distance.

3. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Restaurant food critic :)

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm always fascinated by people who become experts in their field, and get to spend their worklife researching and learning and sharing their findings and knowledge, and who are renowned by their colleagues for their work and expertise. I remember reading an article years ago and one of the people quoted was cited as a squid expert. I thought that sounded pretty cool, no? For awhile, I even had Squid Expert below my FSU user title :)

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Travel writer. Being paid to travel the world is pretty much my dream job.

Or orchestra conductor. Not only the experience of making beautiful music every day, but the control that a conductor had. (Conductors & music teachers routinely rank highest in job satisfaction and lowers in job stress.)

I used to think movie reviewer would be an amazing job ... but only if you don't have to review the bad movies.

6. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Oh I think reviewing bad movies would actually be more fun than reviewing good ones. Think of all the snarky comments you could make!

7. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

- pastry chef with limited hours (restaurant business suck for this)

- horse breeder/sponsoring equestrian athletes.

- teaching university level stuff without having to deal with academia politics or research

- wine yard owner & wine producer

- Foley artist!

8. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I would like to be a casting director (not assistant, I'll just skip to the good part) for a company or station that has enough $$ to work on a variety of projects, but not commercial enough to go with stahs over deserving actors. You did say *dream* job ;).

9. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

I'd love to be the purchaser/secret ingredient locator for a cooking show contest. And your mystery dessert ingredients are chicken hearts, pixie sticks and turnips! Immense job satisfaction.

Or perpetual student. Someone who can just go to school and learn all day and still pay the bills.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

My dream job is to be an office organizer. :eek:
    I love office supplies and my own office is colour-coded and filed to within an inch of its life. My boss actually offered to pay me overtime to come in on a weekend and help her organize.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  11. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

International Spa reviewer.

Member of the IOC (I'm sure that there are lots of perks) ;)

Professional genealogist

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

National Geographic photographer... but only have assignments in nice, tropical climates, LOL

Fashion photographer

Stylists to the stars

Talented and respected clothing designer, ie Very Wang, Tom Ford (so sexy!)

Martha Stewart or Oprah Winfrey, whatever job titles they have. Heck, I'd even do whatever Sandra Lee's doing.

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Anything that is full time, day shift and with benefits.

14. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I'd would LOVE to be an archaeologist and dig around Rome/Egypt/Greece. I don't think it's an actual job but it would be so much fun to play Marie Antoinette and prance around Versailles. :D I forgot to add in: photographer for pretty/cute things. I don't want to take picture of icky stuff. Yeah, so professional, lol.

15. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I think I pretty much have mine; just wish it paid enough that I only had to do it 2 days a week ;)

16. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I always thought that the ice cream taster position at Ben & Jerry's sounded pretty close to a dream job for me. :swoon:

And this one is a bit obvious on this board, but one of my dream jobs would be to be a figure skating commentator. :D

Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I would love to work on the Amazing Race, traveling, figuring out the logistics of where/when to get the legs to flow well.
    Research the tasks (just not actually do them) that relevant to where they are.

18. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'd be really good as a paint mixer. I can tell beiges and greys apart with no problem. Since that only pays about $15 an hour, I guess it would be a corporate strategy consultant. $1,000 a day and you don't have to live with your messes.

19. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Museum curator. It would be the coolest job ever for a nerd like me. Or perhaps an adjunct history professor somewhere. Avoid the research pressures and stress of trying to get tenured.

myhoneyhoney, my cousin is an archaeologist. He also lectures at UF, and a museum in Gainesville, but he also goes on digs andd whatnot. He told me to never get into it. :rofl:

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Book reviewer
    Investigative journalist
    Food critic

21. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

EXPLORER

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  22. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Does "lottery winner" count? :p

If I can't be that, then I would love to be a house flipper. Go in and fix up an outdated house, sell it, then move on to the next.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Having done that job, I will say the opportunity to snark is not much of a plus. Because the vast majority of movies are not that good, and seeing lots of bad movies - not funny bad, just BAD - becomes really tedious after a while.

24. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Me, too. I'd work four days though. :)

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

The one I always go back to is being a creative director for a fashion magazine. I guess I'm channeling Grace Coddington's work for Vogue here :)

26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm with you!

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Heh. Same deal with curators. It doesn't pay very well, there aren't a lot of jobs, and you have to pray someone with a good job dies so you can have it. I wouldn't recommend museum work to anyone (or any NFP sector unless you're in grant-writing and development, aka asking people for money. Then you can pull six figures easy.) There's not really a lot of fun research or anything in museum work.

I wish I'd been a veterinarian, but I would never have passed the math and science even to get into the Caribbean option (the vet schools in British/ex-British Caribbean possessions are less picky than US schools) let alone an American program. (I barely managed a D- in freshman calculus and only got a C in physics because my lab partner knew what he was doing.) That's even with full professors essentially repeating the lecture to me after each class slower using smaller words.

I suppose my dream job would be a housewife in the country. I could clean the house and always been home for the dogs, get laundry done, cook decent meals, still have time to make stuff for my Etsy store without having to drag myself to work. I've never had a job I liked.

28. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My Mom's comment to me (the feminist daughter) was while she supported my desire to stay out of the kitchen her greatest desire was to be back in the kitchen. She eventually made it back to the kitchen ( I happen to think feminism isn't defined by job title.)

29. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm really lucky that I love my to-be job (still in grad school) and that it actually pays. :)

Although if I couldn't have gone into medicine, I would have loved to be a tulip-picker in the Netherlands. :lol: You know, when they plant those huge fields of tulips and hire people just to pick the flowers so all the energy goes back down into the bulbs so they can dig them up and sell them? I saw a special on this when I was a kid and have always wanted to try it. In one grad school interview they asked me what I would have done as a job in an alternate life and this is what I said :rofl: and I got accepted!

30. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

A freelance photographer
    An artist (oil painter)
    A research scientist
    A public speaking coach
    A physician
    An Astronaut (should have been at the top of my list; in college I seriously considered becoming one)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013