Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Just was introduced to this Fri night by my DH, he had somehow downloaded 7 sessions, we watched 4 Fri and 3 Sat, does that mean I am caught up and ready to go? Love it, how come we missed in on the first go?

2. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've watched all of them, Lacey. I know you what mean, I missed it last winter too, and didn't watch until the summer. I'm totally obsessed now.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i will be watching but i hate that it overlaps w/ abfab

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I keep expecting Professor McGonnagal to turn into a cat.

5. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Thank you - I was wondering where I'd seen her before! :eek:

6. my little pony

in keeping with the script, she could turn into a male heir

7. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Is Lady Edith always a pain in the ass at dinner? :rofl:

It's back!!! :cheer2:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

PML. Are you telling me you don't know who Maggie Smith is? She's one of Britain's greatest actresses. :lol:

9. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Yay! I hope Terrible Thomas dies a terrible, terrible death.

10. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

Sniff. Sniff. I am an absolute idiot, but the scenes with Anna and Bates made me cry. And the blinded soldier who killed himself.

I'm so glad it's back.

11. jlai

jlai Title-less

I can't believe Anna offered to live in sin with Bates. :eek:

I was wondering if that was their way of taking Bates out of the series, but the preview gave me hopes that Bates may be back for more. Who wants Moseley when Bates is around? :p

12. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

:lol: There's a great fanart on tumblr which has all the characters sorted into HP houses.

13. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

They are great Anna and bates, I hope he comes back fro her...and we gpfind out the secret between lavinia and marys man... Sme scandal there I think!!!
    It was. Great return! Can't wait for the next one!

14. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Oh that's a relief. I hate Greek drama. When everything happens off stage :rofl:

Welcome Back Downton Abbey!

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  15. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

:lol: Link? I already figure O'Brien and Thomas for Slytherins.

16. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Mother Superior from Sister Act innit. ;)

17. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Dating myself, but I absolutely loved her in The Prime of Miss Jean Brody. :D

18. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Went in at 9 to check that my TiVo was recording correctly and didn't leave for the whole two hours. :lol:

Dame Maggie Smith. ;) Lara - Vanessa Redgrave's sister.

You are my type of gal. :D

Something tells me the Dowager Countess would be an ice dance fan. :drama:

I was surprised to see Cora stand up to Edith when they were talking about moving the hospital, but :rofl: at the way she did it.

19. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think Matthew is the one who will die a terrible death. He is too beautiful and pure to do anything as mundane as live happily ever after. I think Lady Mary will marry Sir Richard and regret it, because he will torment Lavinia with blackmail and Lady Mary will fill guilty about bringing him into the family circle.

20. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but Anna and Bates just leave me cold. I don't care about them, although I have tried. I wish they could come up with a different sort of story line for Bates. This long-suffering-loyal-thing is getting old... :blah:

21. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Poor William. Can't catch a break with Daisy. Such a sweet boy...

22. my little pony

i dont care if lavinia is tormented w blackmail or anything else, she is insipid

and what on earth does william see in daisy, she is awfully nice but plain as can be with the mentality of a 5 yr old

if only he knew how desperate lady edith is

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

There is not a scintilla of a chance that they will kill off Matthew! After all, they haven't even mentioned who would be next in line to inherit. :p I suppose they could marry him off to Lavinia and she could quickly become pregnant with a son ... but that would completely distort the fabric of the entire series. There is an underlying "good overcoming evil" thread that runs through out. Not to mention that they would be :lynch: by hordes of angry fans. WARNING:
    And after writing the above, I now have inadvertently "spoiled" myself by checking the Downton wiki to refresh my memory about a character's name. Much was revealed there, so beware if you don't want to know. :lol:

I am so glad that this is back on the air. Lots of new subplots (and a few new characters) added into the mix. As for wishing terrible Thomas a terrible, terrible death, I'm hoping that there is some mills of the gods justice meted out to the very, very vile Vera Bates. :mad: :lynch:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  24. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

So glad this is back on. I surprised myself at how well I remembered all the various characters & story lines connected to each. I want a happy ending for Anna & Bates. Also, for Lady Sybil. Did I miss the "why" as to why Lady Sybil's chauffeur friend isn't in the military? Anyone know?

25. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if a reason was explicitly stated or not, but it would seem that he has not enlisted yet (or had tried to and was rejected for some medical reason?). He's Irish, so perhaps the selection process was different/separate for those in the UK who weren't English? I know that many Irish fought and died in WWI, but my knowledge of WWI military selection procedures is just about nonexistent.

26. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

:confused: She's not.

27. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Is the actress who portrays Bates' wife the same one who was Queen Mary in The Tudors?

28. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

The actress's name is Maria Doyle Kennedy, she played Catherine of Aragon in The Tudors.

29. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Does this show remind anyone of that book "Brideshead Revisited" by Evelyn Waugh? I read it years ago and can't remember details, but I am getting a strong sense of deja vue.

30. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I've had a hard time divorcing Bates from the character portrayed by the same actor in Lark Rise, and his salt of the earth nobility and goodness began to annoy me long ago I'm ashamed to say.

I was hoping Mrs. Hughes would hatch a plot to do away with Bates' wife after she listened in to their conversation. :) She and the butler must know a lot of really good places to hide a body at Downton.