Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

When there is a will there is a way

2. floskate

floskate Vacant

Unless you can access ITV player and somehow un-geoblock yourself then I don't know how you can watch unless someone posts it on youtube. (And I'd imagine that would be taken down pretty quickly.) Too much money at stake for ITV from worldwide sales revenue.

Anyway without giving too much away, the first episode was glorious. Dame Maggie stole every scene she was in as per usual and had some absolute howlers for one-liners. Much gorgeous photography and it really was in with a bang. No dragging things out to develop characters etc. Those that were new were established in double quick time. Looks like O'Brien is going to have some bitchy competition from a new maid ;) :cheer:

3. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates. Anxiously awaiting PBS. Is Thomas out of the series?

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

:sekret:

Nope he re-appears in the middle of the first episode when he unexpectedly bumps into a familiar face while serving at the front in WW1. It's not long before we see his true nature coming through and that's all I'll say ;)

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

it-bay orrent-tay ...

6. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

Damn. Our PBS programming totally stinks. :mad: i.e., for the last three years they have shown nothing but constant repeats of New Tricks - yet they haven't even shown the first episode explaining how the team got together so I assume our local PBS just jumped in during a second or third year of the show. I wish they would either start the series from the beginning and show one episode once and move on or just drop the series altogether.

I am not adverse to spoilers so hope to see a few more about DA. Love that series!!!!! :D

7. vesperholly

I can recap if you'd like?

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Pleeeeeeease? I'm biting my nails waiting. (I so wanna see Thomas get what's coming to him...)

9. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Please do. :)

10. vesperholly

Sorry, was out of town and didn't see the requests!

We start in 1916 with Matthew in the trenches in France at The Somme. He gives orders so must be an officer. He receives a letter that their company is being relieved and plans to go home to Downton - "There's a girl I want to see."

At Downton: Anna shows a new housemaid the ropes as they set up for a charity concert. Mr. Bates is in London, his mother has died. Lord Downton is Lord Lieutenant, but it's an honorary position. He is appointed colonel of the North riding volunteers and is happy to return to service. At breakfast, Sybil receives a letter that a schoolmate has been killed in the war.

The chauffer is teaching Edith to drive and they discuss him getting called up. William wants to enlist but his father won't let him. The Dowager arrives to the setup and wants to help with flowers (I'll let you experience her hilarious dialogue). Anna and the new housemaid, Ethel, are fixing the drawing room and we learn that Ethel has an attitude and came from a house with a staff of 3. Carson is cleaning silver and Mrs. Hughes admonishes him for working too hard.

Mrs. Crawley speaks to the Granthams and says Matthew is returning from the war and he is engaged to Miss Lavinia Swire. They invite him to the concert but are worried about him seeing Mary, who has been in London. Sybil tells Mrs. Crawley that she's upset about not being able to help, and Mrs. Crawley suggests a nursing course. O'Brien interrupts their conversation, and tells Lady Grantham.

Downstairs, Ethel continues to be snobby about the food and sharing a room with another servant - "I want the best and I'm not afraid to admit it" - and insults O'Brien in the process. Lady Grantham discusses Sybil being a nurse with Mrs. Crawley and the Dowager, both of whom agree that Sybil should be allowed to be a nurse. Moseley received a letter that he's not suitable for war service. Bates and Mary return at the same time. Edith breaks the news of Matthew's return and engagement in the most c-u-next-tuesday passive-aggressive way possible (honestly, she's so one-note it's bordering on ridiculous). Mary pretends she's not upset and says she's friendly with a newspaper magnate in London.

At the concert, Mary and Matthew reunite with a friendly conversation. His fiancee is a nice person. The concert is interrupted by two women who hand white feathers to the young men there, calling them cowards. Bates discusses his future with Anna, because his mother left him more money than he thought and he's going to pay off his wife to get a divorce. Mary and Matthew bond over dinner, a nice intimate "former lovers" conversation. O'Brien sends Ethel up to the drawing room while everyone is there to embarrass her. Everyone but Ethel realizes it's a joke.

Mrs. Crawley discusses the hospital overcrowding issue with a military person, who reveals that the Dowager has asked him to write letters excusing Moseley and William from service on medical grounds. Moseley overhears but doesn't say anything. Sybil is trying her hand at cooking and it's not going well. Anna and Bates talk about selling his mother's house, buying an inn near Downton and starting a family.

Matthew goes to the train station very early in the morning and Mary is there to see him off. She gives him a small stuffed dog as a good luck token, and asks him to promise to bring it back to her. He says he's very happy they made up and she sends him off to war a happy man, and asks her to look after his mother if something happens. They both look bittersweet about the parting.

Mr. Bates's wife (Maria Doyle Kennedy - forever the unwanted woman!) appears and demands that he return with her to London, or she'll tell everyone about the incident with the Turkish diplomat's death and Mary's involvement. Lady Grantham watches Sybil in the kitchen and looks proud of her. Bates resigns to Lord Grantham, who is very upset by his leaving. Bates breaks up with Anna and won't tell her why. Anna is devastated and insists she won't be happy without him.

William is upset by the white feather "coward" comment and talks to Daisy about it, who tries to cheer him up by kissing him. We return to the Somme with Matthew, who makes a point of taking Mary's token with him to the front. He runs into Thomas, who is a medical officer. At Downton, the women help pack Sybil up and say goodbye.

The Dowager defends her decision to save the servants from service. The military man decides to readmit Moseley and William for service. Mrs. Hughes had let Mr. Bates and his wife use her sitting room to talk and overhears the threat, which she tells to Carson. Sybil arrives at the college and Branson the chauffeur says he's in love with her. She politely turns him down.

Lord Grantham realizes his new appointment is only honorary. Moseley asks the military officer not to correct his medical exemption. Carson informs Lord Grantham that Bates only left because of his wife's threat (Lord Grantham is unaware of the circumstances of the Turkish diplomat). Ethel and Anna bond over disappointments, and Mary prays for Matthew (which of course Edith interrupts and mocks her for). Matthew and Thomas discuss Downton in the trenches, and Thomas decides he hates it so much that he purposely gets shot in the hand by holding up a lighter.

And the preview for episode 2:

Mary brings Richard Carlyle to Downton, and it turns out he knows Lavinia. Carson advises Mary if she still loves Matthew she has to tell him. A woman we don't know spies on Edith kissing someone in the garage (Branson?). Carlyle proposes to Mary at the train station. William is a soldier and Carson has a heart attack while serving dinner.

Overall season preview (very mild spoiler):

They're covering 1916-1918 in Season 2, with the Christmas special to be set in 1919. Episode 1 was November 1916 and Episode 2 will be April 1917. Too fast!! I need more DA! :(

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  11. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

^Thank you so much for the detailed update. You are the best! :)

12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Ooooohh...thanks for the spoilers! I can't wait!

13. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Thank you VERY much!:respec:

14. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I found it online. I can share the link if you're interested.

15. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

*BUMP!*

Ok, British peoples, any juicy spoilers from the Christmas special?!?!?! :watch:

16. vesperholly

Here's a BIG ONE:

Cora finally tells Richard about Pamuk, he is upset but thinks the scandal is not worth Mary staying with Richard just to cover it up. He tells Mary this, she tells Matthew about Pamuk. He is upset as well, but later says that she doesn't need to be forgiven, and then GETS DOWN ON ONE KNEE AND PROPOSES :D :D :D

Also, Bates is found guilty of his wife's murder and originally sentenced to hang, but it's commuted to life in prison. I am so over Bates and Anna, I kind of wished he would be executed. :shuffle: Edith is back pursuing Sir Anthony Strallan, who tries to reject her because he's old and injured in the war. Sybil is living in Dublin with Branson and they're married and she's pregnant!

17. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

^ Hot dang, that's some good dish! :D

18. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

And Dame Maggie Smith has some of the best lines and is as usual an absolute scene stealer!!!!

But I was so cheering at the end when Matthew proposed. Also Lord Grantham came through big by telling Mary not to go through with the marriage to Carlise after he found out from Cora the reasons Mary was doing it. That was what made Mary break the engagement. Next season has been set up nicely. I'm not sure I can wait to 9 or so months until then :(

19. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I've just watched season 1 in France. Amazing. I love, really love it !

20. ChelleC

From what I've read, Cora actually told Robert offscreen about Pamuk If so, I'm going to be screaming wuzrobbed for months.

21. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I didn't know there was going to be a Christmas Special. (downloading now) I saw Downton Abbey on the TV listings and assumed it was a re-run.

22. floskate

floskate Vacant

The Xmas special was absolutely Downton at its very best. I'll be honest and have found some of season 2 rather ridiculous but it was truly back to form last night. We were all on the edge of our seats throughout. :watch:

23. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

From what I've heard/read/seen, I'd have to agree. There are some very :huh: routes taken in S2......

Cheers!!! :cheer2: Can't wait! :)

24. vesperholly

Sadly correct. :p

25. Aimless

Aimless New Member

i was home with my 85 year old mother over Christmas. I'd mentioned Downton and how much I like it. She was looking at the TV schedule and she said "Oh, here's an episode of that show you like: DOWNTOWN Abbey." We both got a good laugh when I corrected her.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

28. ChelleC

I'll definitely be watching!!!

29. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

My TiVo is set. :D

30. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I need to clear room on my DVR somehow - I just started watching season 1 on Netflix and love!!! :D I wish I'd finally checked it out a bit later so could join you tonight, oh well.