Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Having never seen the original UD, and only just watching this one last night on my DVR, I have to say I preferred Downton Abbey. JMO.

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think if you're a fan of the original U,D you would probably respond better to the new one, as you miss things like why Rose reacts so strongly to the key with Mr. Hudson's name on it (which I would expect is personal, as of course Gordon Jackson has passed away, as has the original cook, Angela Baddley, so there's probably some real sentiment for Jean Marsh.) Because those of us who are coming in with that background probably miss the characters and actors, too!

Let me put it this way, I'm sure I'm not the only one who, when Downton Abbey started with Titanic sinking, said "Lady Bellamy, no!" (The first lady of the house on U,D is killed off on the Titanic.)

And I love the mother-in-law. New favorite character.

3. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I saw the original (1st set, 1971 to 1973) back in the 70’s in my pre-teen years, in “Soviet times” in Moscow, at the “Cinema House Club” special screening, reserved only for “employees of soviet cinema and their friends and family”. The reels were ordered from UK distributor for Committee Review to evaluate if series can pass the “politically correct” inspection and ran on public TV for general Soviet Audience. The decision was made not to show them to the general public. (The other series – The Forsyte Saga – did pass the inspection and was shown in the Soviet Union.).

I loved the original show. Was on my best behavior so that my parents would allow me to go to the Club House and watch it on Sundays…. :lol:. I am so happy to have seen this show back when I was 12…. I knew then and there… that I will always aim to be “Upstairs” even if I live the rest of my life in USSR…. :D.

I love the new ones also! Yes! That and “Atlas Shrugged”…. America is getting on the right track!.. :lol:

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Tinami Amori, Thanks for sharing your story.
    I'm so glad that you got to see the "original" UD when you were young; and that you loved it so much.

I saw the series when it was first broadcast in the US.
    It would have been awful to miss an episode on "Masterpiece Theatre".
    We were fortunate to have the great Alistair Cooke to give us "historical context", also.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Ah, but the original series started in 1903, with Rose as one of the characters. The 1936 version of her that we see this time around does look about 33 years older than the one we first met.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree - I just watched all seven eps over the course of a week (uncut DVD), and Mary's character, after starting off rather annoyingly, ended up being the most complex and developed of all.

Am I the only one who was totally creeped out by O'Brien's sideburns?

:swoon: x1000

How great would it be if Jeremy Northam appeared in series 2? Julian Fellowes knows him after all ...

Anyway, late to the party but just read this entire thread and echo (almost :p) everyone's view in that I enjoyed every, single, second of this - and look forward to re-viewing again in future to catch the subtleties I might have missed, and indulge in it all over again.

And it should go without saying, but must be said again and again - Maggie Smith is incredible - surely Fellowes wrote the role for her? I can only imagine the day the producers signed her, knowing that the rest would fall magically into place around her.

:rollin:

7. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

ITA. The fact that she wasn't 100% likeable is actually, conversely, why I liked her. While I enjoyed her revenge on Edith at the end, I can't help but think that if she hadn't done it, she wouldn't have got Edith out of her hair.

Then again...Edith kind of had it coming.

Am so looking forward to series 2, and the Christmas ep :cheer2:

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

9. Civic

Civic New Member

I find it interesting that the Forsythe Saga passed muster with the Soviet censors while Upstairs/Downstairs didn't. I found Soames Forsythe to be a more sympathetic character and Young Jolyon and Irene to be less sympathetic characters in the television series than I suspect the series' director intended. I wonder if many Soviet viewers shared my sympathy for Soames.

10. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

PBS announced at the Television Critics Association press tour that they will show Downton Abbey II starting on January 8 and the next series of Upstairs Downstairs will be shown in 2013. (Also they're planning to show Sherlock series 2 in May 2012...ulp) They plan to mount an Emmy campaign for Downton, which has received 11 nominations.

The Hollywood Reporter

11. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Wee! :cheer: I can wait to see DA II. I read on another forum that it will begin two years from the point that DA I left at.

12. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand DA II begins in 1916.

13. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Awwww! We missed it then. Oh. It's SET in 1916. :duh:
    ;)

14. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

:D

15. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I think they should show DA#1 first so everyone can recall who all the characters are and how they are involved with each other.

16. icewalker08

icewalker08 New Member

17. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

^Thank you. I am looking forward to the air date.

18. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Is Maria Doyle Kennedy (aka Queen Katherine from seasons 1-2 of The Tudors) making a career out of playing first wives?

19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I have JUST got into this; I shall be watching series one in it's entirety this weekend. :D Have LOVED the first two episodes thus far. :D

20. ChelleC

Thanks! Spoilers are always lovely. :)

I've become completely obsessed with DA. :D I do NOT want to take the DVDs back to the library today. :lol:

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

My first thought upon seeing Mary's new suitor was "Isn't he a little old for her?" Then I looked again and thought, "Get out of the way, Mary, I want him!!" :p

(Well, I've always had a thing for older guys . . . )

22. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

I don't know how widespread VisionTV in Canada is, but I've just seen them advertise that they're going to run the first series of Downton starting tonight at 9 pm. From the listings it appears that it will be shown weekly on Wednesdays. AFAIK this will be the first time that it's been shown in Canada other than on cross-border PBS stations. They've got it in a 1 1/2 hour time slot tonight and 60 minute time slot next week. Since they run commercials, perhaps that means it will be shown in its original form as shown on ITV with the scenes that were missing on PBS!

Thanks so much for this. Very cool to see the press pack. I was afraid to look at it all, but couldn't resist checking to see
    how that nasty Thomas made out with his plan to escape conscription by becoming a medic. I was thrilled to find out that the plan back-fired because he ended up near the fighting, but conscription hadn't happened up to the beginning of series 2 so now he's trying to come up with a plan to get out.

Also I've been meaning to post this Daily Mail article with lots of set pictures from the filming of series 2. I didn't read it too closely because I was fearful of anything TOO spoilery, but the pictures are great. I believe that the second series premieres in the UK in September, so it's getting close!

23. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet on it being "in its original form." Vision is notorious for horrendously bad commercial breaks -- even if the program originally had commercials, they add more breaks, and in really, really bad places. I swear during Doc Martin they broke in mid-sentence half the time. I'm just glad I didn't have to rely on them for Downton Abbey.

24. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

Watched DA on PBS, and am now re-watching it. I want it fresher in my mind when the next series starts.

25. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

26. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

^Great in depth article. I had no idea that Julian Fellows the creator of Downton Abbey was one of the actors in Monarch on the Glenn until I saw his photo in this article. I loved that show as I do all of his work. What an interesting and creative life he has led.

Thanks for sharing.

27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

The newest episode premiered on ITV last night! Ooh, it was GOOD! :swoon:

I totally ship Lady Mary and Matthew now, before I never bought it. Lady Edith is still a bitch and Lady Sybil going to be a nurse is so very fitting. Lots of romantic entanglements and twisty plots! I canNOT believe that Bates left Anna like that!

28. ChelleC

Are there any :sekret: links for Americans to be able to watch it?

29. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

I'd like to know that, too. I was hoping to find somebody streaming it live yesterday, but no luck.

So far, I can just share a link to the series 2 promo, which looks very good.

Downton Abbey won 4 Emmys last night, to make a total of 6 including last week's technical awards:

Outstanding Mini-Series or Movie
    Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Mini-Series or Movie - Maggie Smith (not present at the ceremony)
    Outstanding Writing for A Miniseries, Movie Or A Dramatic Special
    Outstanding Directing For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Dramatic Special
    Outstanding Costumes For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special
    Outstanding Cinematography For A Miniseries Or Movie

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that US viewers will have to wait for PBS, it seems.