Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Did I miss something? I just remember her being panicky and freaked out, as anyone would be under the circumstances.

Then again, I was busy at the time and only watching with half an eye, so maybe I did miss something.

2. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the reference is to her initial reaction to Pemuk's death, but rather her reaction in the days that followed (weeping and such). If she truly were a bitchy character, she would have dismissed the episode from her mind and acted like it didn't impact her.

3. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

^ Although it could be possible that any post-Pamuk grief was caused by fear of a reputation ruining scandal and the potential fury of her father if he ever found out.

4. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I don't think fear of scandal/reputation damage was what played the major part. Sitting in the corner of his room the day afterwards certainly wasn't behavior of someone who wanted to avoid gossip at all costs. She also made some comment about having had a glimpse that she might experience happiness in life, but now she felt that this possibility was entirely lost to her.

5. Wyliefan

Yeah . . . I did kind of get the impression that Mary's tears were all for Mary. But maybe I was mistaken.

6. moojja

moojja Active Member

I have serious issues with what Pemuk did. The show gloss over it, but it came pretty close to non-consensual sex to me. Frankly it sucks/grossly unfair that it's her reputation that will suffer.

And I don't think her grief over his death was just worries about her reputation. She tried to close his eyelid, and cried when it wont close. She bust into tears when talking to her possible suitor about Pemuk, and had to excuse herself. She sat in a darken room talking about her feelings with the butler. She obviously can't control what she was feeling. And I missed the last few episodes, but didn't she also disclosed what happened to Matthew?

But Mary is definitely a cold snob, and that makes her hard to like. I personally always like the Ice Queens, but I hate that in popular culture, the Ice Queen must be humiliated before they can be liked.

7. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

And it really sucks that even if she had yelled for help, her reputation still would have suffered!

8. Wyliefan

Interesting take on it! I thought his attitude was really icky, myself, but I hadn't actually thought of it as non-consensual. I mean, maybe screaming would have been a problem -- unfortunate as that is -- but I thought that she could have run or threatened him with something. Instead, she seemed to go into "Well, why not?" mode.

Maybe I really do need to watch this part again, and pick up on some of the nuances I didn't notice.

9. moojja

moojja Active Member

He was standing btw her and the door. She did threaten to scream, but as he pointed out, scream or not scream, her reputation is ruined. She was attracted to him, but we saw her firmly say no quite a few times. I thought she looked kinda trapped. She wanted him, he touches on a deep seated desire and need in her. I just don't think she was completely willing or even ready to sleep with him at that moment. Your interpretation might vary.
    Of course, then he drops dead on top of her. Overall she had a memorable first time. I really glad the plot didn't make her pregnant.

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

didnt he did say something about her still being a virgin for her husband ?

11. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

I understood that as no one had to know.

12. cmkrcwi

cmkrcwi New Member

Yes, but a virgin would be expected to bleed like a stuck pig back then and to feel pain at first. If none of those things happened, a husband might get suspicious about his wife's virtue.

I thiink what he was talking about was probably oral sex.

13. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I must admit that I sorta like Lady Mary, or at least I'm trying to sympathize with the frustration of her situation: Born the daughter of an Earl (I know: Boohoo! :lol: ), having smoke blown up yer butt your entire life ("Oh Lady Mary Crawley, daughter of an Earl!!!"), but then when the shit hits the fan, you're basically a worthless pawn. Your parents are willing to pimp you out to whoever has the cash to save the entire family, because society and law prevent you from being independent and inheriting your birthright as the eldest child just 'cause you have a vagina.

So, yeah, I can see why she's moody/bitchy/whiney. I would be, too! ;)

I sort of hope that Matthew does something chivalrous and sincere and ultimately wins her over in the last episode. I really can't see him with the younger girls, Edith is a Class A-Jan Brady twat and Sybil is probably just a few years away from running off to Bloomsbury and going down on Virginia Woolf. ;)

Dang, I love this show! :biggrinbo

Though the only storyline that really gets me in the gut is Anna and Mr. Bates. When he brought her the tray? Um, yeah, MAJOR teary-eyed pearl-clutching. Then the walk back from the flower show? Uh, SOBBING over here! :lol:

And finally: Maggie Smith deserves an Emmy just for the swivel chair scene ALONE!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  14. my little pony

I do feel like Mary's cranky pants are caused by her situation, at least in part. If she marries someone she loves, I dont think she will be so cold.

Meanwhile, I think Jan is always going to be petty and bitter.

15. Wyliefan

16. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

The series is airing on my PBS as a Masterpiece Contemporary
    rather than "classic".

I'm loving it. Thanks to whoever it was who mentioned Lark Rising... hadn't heard of it 'til now and found a link to watch it streaming online. We have some snow days coming up this week, so I'll save them for that :D

17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Well, then they are doing something weird, since Laura Linney is introducing it and that Classic. David Tennant introduces Contemporary.

18. my little pony

I dont want to be spoiled but I hope karma kicks OBrien and Thomas in the a$$ by the end of this

19. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

At the rate we're going all Mary and Edith will be old maids - with Sybil the only one getting married - and I reckon she'll end up with the cute Irish chauffer!!!

20. Wyliefan

O'Brien is an EVIL EVIL SNAKE. Hanging would be too good for her. :mad:

21. my little pony

was that the end? they didnt show a scene from next wk, they said that a second season as in production or something

22. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Totally agree - I hope guilt drives her mad :mad:

It will be interesting to see how the war changes things. I know there was a romantic illusion in Britain when the war was first declared that is would be over by that Christmas but then the reality set in. I'm sure Sybil will be first to volunteer to help the war effort!!

BTW Mary deserves to be alone - she definitely made a play for Matthew when he saved Sybil - and then allowed her Aunt to talk her into leaving him hanging - now I think about it I could see Matthew and Sybil getting together - thus breaking the cute Irish chauffers heart!!!

Also there is no doubt we are getting some editing here in the US. There are some jumps in continuity that make no sense - as if we've missed a scene or two. And just prior to this episode they did a small pledge drive offering the original "uncut" UK version as a gift. I really don't understand why the US has to make any cuts/editing - it makes no sense but they do it all the time from what I can figure!!

23. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I had recorded this show and watched it all this weakened. love it.
    I want to dislike Mary too, but can't.
    My Favs - Sybil (and the chauffeur) Mr Bates & Anna, and Daisy n Thomas
    I am glad Gwen got secretary job, but does that mean she is off the show?
    I don't like Obrien, but with how she felt at the end and Thomas leaving, might be interesting to see heat happens there.
    when will season 2 be shown in the us?

24. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure it has been shown in the UK yet - in fact it may not even have been made yet!!

25. my little pony

it said it was "in production" still

26. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

The announcement of WWI is the end of the first series. Series 2 should be aired in the fall, hopefully in the US quickly after that (and I hope this time they keep the original episode structure).

27. my little pony

that's a long way away. the ending of this one was depressing.

28. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I'm really looking forward to the war years- I hope they take a lot of time over this fascinating and tragic period in history. Does anyone remember Testament of Youth when it ran many years ago on Masterpiece?

I can see Sybil volunteering as a VAD or nurse. Maybe the Abbey will become a hospital/convalescent home for soldiers? A lot of stately homes did just that. And it would provide some new romance possibilities for the girls. The young men will volunteer of course, and I can see William not lasting long at the front, and maybe not Tom the chauffeur either. I hope Matthew can survive- he'll become an officer though, and they tended to last even less time than the enlisted men.

29. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I really, really wish they hadn't jumped two years. They could've gotten a lot more out of the storylines, and I didn't even understand since it seemed not much had changed.

30. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

Was anyone else surprised at Anna's apparent LACK of surprise/shock at Bates's having a wife? Or did I miss something and did they say Vera (wife) is dead? I know Anna's veddy veddy much a stiff-upper-lip kinda gal, but given how crazy she is about Bates, you'd think she would have had SOME reaction.

Re O'Brien: I actually felt bad for her after the soap incident. Yikes.

Maybe Thomas will get killed in WWI. But then they'd have to create another eville foil; it just wouldn't be as fun to have ONLY Edith as resident eville character, now that it looks like O'Brien might become human. Mary's somewhat less eville. Just bitchy. There's a difference.

I want more backstory on she-who-misses-nothing Scots head housekeeper.

Maybe Mary will run off with a rich Yank she meets during the war. Or Frog. Or Italian, as referred to in the script. :lol: Pasta-eaters.