Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

They way they did it packed a punch, because
    everything seemed like it was fine, like the danger was over.
    How very sad....must remember these are not real people.

2. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Eh, anybody who knows anything about
    pre-eclampsia
    would have picked up on it right away. The second I heard her say that her feet were swollen, I knew no good was coming out of this.
    Pre-eclampsia (or post-eclampsia? Not sure what the precise term would be) can definitely happen post-birth. Delivering the baby is the best cure, but sometimes you're too far along and if the blood pressure doesn't go down, you're in trouble. I know a woman who's mother just dropped dead of an aneurysm a month or so after the birth of her baby...nobody knows for sure what went wrong but I think eclampsia was suspected.

Dang. Now I feel bad. :p I wanted Sybyl and Branson to have a nice tragedy and shake-up, but not THIS.

I had most of it in spoiler tags but I went ahead and put the whole thing in spoilers. Although I kind of do fail to see why we spoiler tag episode deets in a thread for the show once the episode has aired. :p ;) But no worries; it's all good! :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Better put that behind a spoiler tag, Spareoom.

4. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Television Without Pity's forums, they have a UK Downton Abbey thread. You can usually figure out what happens by the posts. :)

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Now they killed off my favorite character of the show and my favorite relationship is 1/2 missing. I guess it's better for it to go this way than to maybe give them marital strife. Plus, it adds to the romanticism of Branson/Sybil and at least it ended with them being as in love if not more than when they started. They will always be my fave Downton couple.

That said, I sort of saw it coming thanks to all the spoiler hints in this thread, and knew that something big had to happen with all the foreshadowing with the two doctors. Again, Lord Grantham's pomposity has a big cost. He's becoming my least favorite character with the mismanagement of the money, his attitude toward Edith, almost cheating on Cora (season 2), etc. I know he's a product of his time and status, but I can't stand "honorable" men who don't use their brains. BTW, what's with Mary not trying to meet Edith halfway about wanting to get along? I'm glad to see that at least one of those sisters matured. In hindsight, I'm glad Edith isn't defined by who she married. I hope they continue developing her as her own woman.

Plotwise, I think it's genius. Now, the family can have some extra drama, and the Tom/Grantham family will have even more tension with Mary and Cora on Tom's side. I'm sad to see smart Mary not seeing how her father's (and really the whole lifestyle) simply isn't self-sustaining anymore and needs to be revamped or they could truly lose the estate. It really is difficult adapting that way of excessive living, isn't it?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. moojja

moojja Active Member

I thought she did. With her line about loving each other while still on earth and the hug. But lets be honest, mostly they're not going to get along. As soon as the sadness fades, years of habits/fights will continue. I thought Mary was just being honest about it.

7. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Not this time :(

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

From a structural point, this could set up something almost as nasty--is there anything to hold Branson back from jumping both feet first into the revolution? That does NOT end well for a lot of people at this point in history...and hey, writer-wise, you have to hurt someone people really LIKE. Viewers enjoy seeing hated characters suffer, and that's no fun....

And I almost never mind spoilers. The only things in the last ten+ years where I've gone out of my way to remain spoiler-free were "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" and "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" (since I'd been waiting for the latter for about THIRTY YEARS, I wanted a pristine viewing experience.) Otherwise, I'm good.

9. Marilou

Marilou New Member

If you have Expat Shield, you can.

10. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Has it aired in the U.S.? I thought we had to wait until January. If so, I appreciate the spoiler tags, because I don't want to know beforehand.

11. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I didn't have to download anything. I just got a few (admittedly annoying) pop ups.

It's been working fine for me.

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It hasn't aired here yet, pollyanna.

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  13. moojja

moojja Active Member

Wasn't "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" basically spoiled by the second movie (or 5th movie depending on you count them).
    Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader.
    :)

14. danceronice

It's not the who, it's the how and the why. (I mean, no one figures he sired Luke and Leia while wearing that suit, right? Plus clearing up Obi-Wan's version of the truth...) And how was Senator Palpatine going to become the Emperor? THAT was old news by thirty years, too, down to the actor, but it's the how.

Downtown Abbey, I've only recently cared about. I can live without being surprised. Plus it's ultimately rather soapy--it's not going to be THAT surprising.

15. Marilou

Marilou New Member

Just watched this week's episode. even though I had unintentionally spoiled myself and I knew what was coming, I was bawling :wuzrobbed That scene was extremely well done!

16. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Sigh...the Dowager always knows what's needed.

Mrs. Pattimore's line about salmon mousse was hilarious.

And,
    I'll believe Bates is home free when he's back at Downton.

17. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

It was a gentler episode last night after the full on drama of the past couple of weeks. Still I enjoyed it and can see how some things are being set up for more drama in future episodes :)

18. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Haven't been back to this thread as I didn't want to know too much about the upcoming season.

Here in the U.S. I notice that the whole series is being re-broadcast. Here, it's starting tonight with episode 1. I look forward to enjoying the whole thing all over again.

19. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Just one episode left of the 3rd season :( but we have a Christmas episode to look forwards to :)

20. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

I'm gutted that it's the last episode tomorrow. It seems only a few weeks ago that we were leading up to the start of the new series. I had to laugh though looking at a few of the fansites on tumblr - Amazon made a huge error and sent out the Season 3 DVD box sets that were pre-ordered early and some people received them on Friday. Lots of spoilers floating about for what happens in the last episode now!!! (yeah I looked, I have no self-restraint!)

21. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Does that include the Christmas episode as well?

22. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

You would think amazon would learn, because the exact same thing happened last year. Off to find spoilers. :D

23. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Do post them here, as I can't find anything! Gah!

24. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  25. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

What? Noooooooo.

Maybe this is why the writers want to dial back DA to it's "origin" story? Because seriously, Matthew has been key to the whole show. If they kill him off then I am DONE, and the show wouldn't be the same if he and Mary just left.

26. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Let's see. Matthew is in a accident. Terrible facial injuries. When they take off the bandages, it's a new actor.
    Oh wait, the've done that on every soap opera series ever made, haven't they.:D

27. danceronice

Well, from a STRICTLY HYPOTHETICAL view (as I don't know any spoilers about the last episode or next series), he and Mary would simply need to have a son. Just like Patrick's father was originally the closer cousin and heir and how if the "imposter" was really Patrick, now that his father was dead he'd be next in line.

Oh, THERE'S another dangling plot thread, if Matthew is somehow removed, they could always bring back Patrick/Peter Gordon/Grantham and the question of who is the rightful heir to Downton.

On another note, I just got the Signals holiday catalog--you can now order a t-shirt saying "I'm a Mary" ("feisty and fashionable"), "I'm an Edith" ("bookish and sensitive"), or "I'm a Sybil" ("modern and rebellious), one of the Dowager Countess ("I am a woman ... I can be as contrary as I chose"), "Keep Calm and Ring Carson To Bring Tea", or two designs for "Free John Bates."

28. danceronice

So, here the upgrade double-posts, at COTH is gives you the 'no posting within 30 seconds", and DF it just gets hung up and an error message...right.

29. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I think England abolished something entail related in 1925, but I have no idea what year it is in Downton Land, just that it's after WW1.

30. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I saw that too. Was tempted to buy the Dowager one.
    I'm wondering how well the Sybil shirts will sell now that Sybil's gone!